U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-07-2012, 10:51 AM
 
57 posts, read 80,863 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

Hi we just moved here 2 weeks ago, and we are looking for some family activities w/ 2 young kids under the age of 6 /spraygrounds/parks, etc. we are new to NC. We live in the Clemmons area. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-07-2012, 04:26 PM
LLN
 
Location: Upstairs closet
4,981 posts, read 8,745,550 times
Reputation: 6451
Not sure where you moved from, but one of the reasons NC attracts so many people is lower cost of living. With that comes less amenities and activities. I am sure there are some things around, but not a lot. Good luck, though, and welcome to NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2012, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Salisbury,NC
10,568 posts, read 4,411,615 times
Reputation: 4665
Take a ride to Dan Nichlols Park in Rowan County. Has a great area for kids with some fees for certain things. Spray area small train ride, animals,mini golf, snake building, and great picnic area. See the train Museum in Spencer the kids will have a great time.
The NC zoo is in Ashboro.
If you travel down Route 8 in Davidson County you will be able to get to a public swim area on High Rock Lake. a lot to do just have to look. I have a great time with my grandkids in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2012, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Boone, NC
1,047 posts, read 1,972,713 times
Reputation: 1046
Quote:
I am sure there are some things around, but not a lot
Wrong! There are lots of things for families to do. Here's a few of them:

Going to the SciWorks museum can be an excellent way to spend an entire day. The kids will learn a lot and have a lot of fun, and there's a LOT to see. Pilot Mountain has easy trails that you can take kids on, a hike won't take much longer than an hour. There are public pools in Winston-Salem, but they can get very crowded. Check to see what private pools might have lower family rates in your neighborhood.

Normally, I'd recommend fishing on Salem Lake, however it's currently closed due to something they're doing with the Dam. In which case, I'll echo my recommendation of High Rock as well. You can also go to Old 421 park along the Yadkin river for a quieter and less crowded swim experience.

If you're willing to drive, I definitely recommend the children's museum in Greensboro. Tweetsie Railroad will also provide a great day of fun. And there's Wet n' Wild, a water amusement park, in Greensboro. And as mentioned, the NC Zoo is awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2012, 10:54 PM
 
Location: Winston-Salem
273 posts, read 850,553 times
Reputation: 188
I'll second Dan Nichols park, easy place to get in/out of (except for the drive there . They have a pretty good sized spraypark from what I remember.

Greensboro has a Nature/science museum that is pretty good. They're working on an aquarium that will be finished next summer. They also have an outside area with tigers, monkeys, etc... and several "hands on" areas for kids to touch and pet animals. FYI, sciworks and the nature/science museum are reciprocating in that we have a Sciworks membership and get in free at the museum. We prefer going here over the drive down to the actual zoo.

IMHO, the zoo here, is REALLY lacking. I understand they have "natural habitat" displays, but all that means is the animals are too far away to be able to see anything. Because of that, the exhibits are spaced extremely far apart so you basically pay to go for a walk in a park... Just my 2 cents, and we HAD a membership there, but were disappointed every time we went so we didn't renew.

The childrens museum in WS is just ok. Doesn't seem like there are a TON of activities for kids there, since we're lucky to spend 2 hrs there, so for the cost, it might be a place to check out once to see if you like it. Haven't been to the Greensboro Children's Museum, tho have heard it's fantastic.

For playgrounds, Hanes and Miller parks are pretty good parks, Miller if it's really hot/sunny out, since it's tucked in the trees a little bit. Hanes was recently redone with a huge playset.

Bolton Pool has a spray/splash park, but is crazy busy usually. Tanglewood was just redone and is a very nice pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2012, 08:29 AM
 
Location: High Point
138 posts, read 367,156 times
Reputation: 96
Wow there are a ton of great local places for kids (a few are repeats but I thought I'd list them all together for reference):This is just what pops into my head in a few minutes, I'm sure there are other great things to do as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2012, 02:59 PM
 
57 posts, read 80,863 times
Reputation: 17
WOW, thank you so much for all the information. It has been fun getting to know our new surroundings, but can also be frustrating. Thanks for pointing us in some directions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2012, 07:55 AM
 
2,648 posts, read 6,085,655 times
Reputation: 3409
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Not sure where you moved from, but one of the reasons NC attracts so many people is lower cost of living. With that comes less amenities and activities. I am sure there are some things around, but not a lot. Good luck, though, and welcome to NC.
Couldn't disagree more--as others have noted, there are plenty of things to do here. Just to add a few more that haven't been mentioned:

--Hanging Rock State Park offers great hiking and swimming
--Here's a link to Winston-Salem parks and greenways
--Old Salem is a great place to wander around with kids. Be sure to get some treats from Winkler's bakery, and get a drink of water from the public well.
--the Sawtooth Center offers arts classes and camps for kids
--Here's the schedule for downtown Winston-Salem's Summer Music Series
--The Saturday morning farmer's market at the Dixie Classic Fairgrounds offers lots of sights, smells, and tastes for kids and adults. Even bigger and better is the NC Farmer's Market in Greensboro although it's a bit farther. Well worth the drive, though.
--Horne Creek Farm offers kids a chance to experience traditional farm life.
--Here's a directory of pick your own farms and farmer's markets in NC: Link. Picking strawberries, apples, etc. is a great kid-friendly activity.
--There's a putt-putt course on Stratford Rd., near the mall.
--Take the kids to the Stratford Rd. Krispy Kreme on Saturday morning to watch the doughnut machine in action. Truly a life-changing experience for any kid!

Welcome to the Triad, and to Clemmons!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2012, 01:18 PM
 
57 posts, read 80,863 times
Reputation: 17
Thank you!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Couldn't disagree more--as others have noted, there are plenty of things to do here. Just to add a few more that haven't been mentioned:

--Hanging Rock State Park offers great hiking and swimming
--Here's a link to Winston-Salem parks and greenways
--Old Salem is a great place to wander around with kids. Be sure to get some treats from Winkler's bakery, and get a drink of water from the public well.
--the Sawtooth Center offers arts classes and camps for kids
--Here's the schedule for downtown Winston-Salem's Summer Music Series
--The Saturday morning farmer's market at the Dixie Classic Fairgrounds offers lots of sights, smells, and tastes for kids and adults. Even bigger and better is the NC Farmer's Market in Greensboro although it's a bit farther. Well worth the drive, though.
--Horne Creek Farm offers kids a chance to experience traditional farm life.
--Here's a directory of pick your own farms and farmer's markets in NC: Link. Picking strawberries, apples, etc. is a great kid-friendly activity.
--There's a putt-putt course on Stratford Rd., near the mall.
--Take the kids to the Stratford Rd. Krispy Kreme on Saturday morning to watch the doughnut machine in action. Truly a life-changing experience for any kid!

Welcome to the Triad, and to Clemmons!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top