U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 08:05 PM

2,648 posts, read 6,086,746 times

Advertisements

^ It sounds like you're beef is with the road design, not with the fact there are stoplights there. As I recall, the road was designed that way to discourage through traffic from passing through historic Bethabara. It's a safety issue for visitors to the park. Sorry if you were one of the few people who were inconvenienced by this. Apparently it's had quite an effect on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 08:15 PM

22 posts, read 30,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
The WAS is relevant to gosboi's statement that W-S has "always gotten the shaft". Not always. And still the PTI airport is closer for anyone in W-S than the Charlotte airport is for much of that metro area. We have easy access to air connections to take us wherever we need to go, at prices that are usually much better than what you'd pay in Charlotte, and with much less trouble getting in and out of the airport.

And I don't know who you've been talking to, but plenty of people seek opportunity here. 15% population growth since 2000--not overwhelming to the point we can't handle it, but still reflective of the opportunity that's here.
Actually 15% is reflective of people having children. Dell computers did not want to even stay there after city gave millions of dollars in incentives.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
^ It sounds like you're beef is with the road design, not with the fact there are stoplights there. As I recall, the road was designed that way to discourage through traffic from passing through historic Bethabara. It's a safety issue for visitors to the park. Sorry if you were one of the few people who were inconvenienced by this. Apparently it's had quite an effect on you.
Your recollections are wrong. The design your speaking of is when they made 1 lane through Bethabara. I'm talking about the 4 lane highway that was made so you could get from University Pkwy to Old Town when they made Bethania Station cross over it. There were many accidents at that one spot and some people even got killed. The design city council even stated as a flaw and yet you seem to be one the few there that accepts it. The Winston Way.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:41 PM

2,648 posts, read 6,086,746 times
No, my recollection isn't wrong...I'm talking about the same thing you are. If Bethania Station Rd. continued straight, people would be tempted to take it through Bethabara to Old Town Rd. to get to Reynolda. The curve design was intended to route that traffic to Reynolda via Bethabara Park Blvd., thereby reducing traffic through Bethabara. Makes sense to me.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:55 PM

3,116 posts, read 4,148,349 times
Quote:

Winston-Salem's downtown was ranked second in the country by a website devoted to celebrating cities.

The website, Livability.com, bestowed the ranking because of Old Salem, according to the site.

"Winston-Salem's downtown works a little like magic," the site reads. "Once you step into the historic district of Old Salem, you may as well have stepped back into 1772."

Indianapolis won the title of best downtown on the site.
Downtown ranks 2nd on website listing - Winston-Salem Journal: Local News: p, news,

Old 01-08-2013, 09:07 PM

302 posts, read 537,186 times
83mercury...you sound like one of those disgruntled conspiracy theorists who will bake a story to fit your means, about like gboi does for the boro. First of all, Dell didn't "decide" they would pack up and leave Winston-Salem because it determined it didn't like the place. If you haven't heard, sales in desktops are way down these days as consumers use laptops, and hand-held devices, to no end. And it has been in considerable distress for several years, since it closed it's operation in Winston-Salem.
Dell did not just decide it didn't "like" Winston-Salem, like you did....how ridiculous.

And besides, vacating it's state-of-the-art facility left the door open for the city and county to recruit another industry, as well as redistribute the millions it received after Dell failed to live up to it's promises. So, who came out better in the deal...Dell, or Winston-Salem?

Furthermore...on this neverending issue of which city has the best and the most...gboi is decidedly impressed with all those multilane roads that encircle Greensboro. Greensboro has its fair share of multilane roads for cities in North Carolina, but that doesn 't mean that that city is better or brighter. We have had a spaghetti junction and flyovers longer here in Charlotte...so, there. If there were a greater need for more roads to serve the populace, one would wonder why they aren't built in northwest Guilford near Oak Ridge and Summerfield instead of in southern Guilford where they make no sense.

Two weeks ago, driving from Charlotte to Raleigh/Durham, I drove up I85, and reached the southern section of Greensboro's outer beltway. The exits abound in every direction, but they don't really take you anywhere, except to another road. Driving this section of the beltway, you may be in an incorporated area, but there is nothing on both sides of the highway, except more exits, and a Walmart, Lowes, and a pasture full of cows, before you reach the original I85/40 east near Replacements to head toward Burlington and the Triangle.

The on-off ramps of US52/Business40 are going on 60-some years old people. Since I40 was the first interstate in the state of NC, not to mention one that radically cut right into the heart of the city unlike any other, when it was built in the 50's it was not meant for 70MPH traffic. Be real. And besides, this stretch is projected to be upgraded, if the state of NC will ever get the ball rolling.

The issue of making fun of Smith-Reynolds is ridiculous, considering that PTI is clearly sustained by FedEx. Passenger service at PTI is a joke isn't it? Boarding is consistently flat at best. And if you want to fly anywhere important, you'll encounter a connection in Charlotte or Atlanta, so don't take me there.

Here's hoping you're happy where you are 83, because it sounds like Winston-Salem is better off without you and your self proclaimed ill-bred vile opinion. Whereever you go, there you are, so maybe you can make a difference there.

Even tho I live in Charlotte at the moment, I'd take Winston-Salem over any city in the state. That includes glorious Asheville, and Wilmington, and the Outer Banks. Thank goodness we're all different!

Old 01-08-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
No, my recollection isn't wrong...I'm talking about the same thing you are. If Bethania Station Rd. continued straight, people would be tempted to take it through Bethabara to Old Town Rd. to get to Reynolda. The curve design was intended to route that traffic to Reynolda via Bethabara Park Blvd., thereby reducing traffic through Bethabara. Makes sense to me.
My point to the Winston Way. City officials state it was a design flaw and W-S citizens accept it. Same with the landfill on Hanes Mill Rd. Thats why the city will never be a popular place and why it can't keep up with the times. I'm sure you are from there and will die there. Its a great retirement town. Take care.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:37 PM

wsnc62...Yes I am a better person having left Winston behind and have been totally happy ever since. Funny..the Dell plant where I live is doing great. I just happened to google "nothing in Winston Salem" and got all kinds of responses. Its either the Winston Way or the highway. I choose the highway and moved on to greener pastures. Take care.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:22 PM

3,867 posts, read 6,659,741 times
83mercury:

You clearly have a personal beef with W-S since this is the ONLY thread on which you've posted on C-D. I think it's easy to figure out that we should take your posts with a grain or two (or three) of salt. Why don't you take your negativity somewhere else? Hmmm.... I wonder if you are related to High Cotton in TX?

Old 01-09-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
83mercury:

You clearly have a personal beef with W-S since this is the ONLY thread on which you've posted on C-D. I think it's easy to figure out that we should take your posts with a grain or two (or three) of salt. Why don't you take your negativity somewhere else? Hmmm.... I wonder if you are related to High Cotton in TX?
Have no personal beef with W-S. Its the way of life there and if one stands up and voices their opinion based on facts the people there get on the defensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point