U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 11:09 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,653,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Yes, Greensboro is [slightly] bigger, and there's nothing wrong with preferring to live in Greensboro, but to say retail and entertainment are "limited" in W-S is hogwash. It's a quality vs. quantity thing--having more big box stores and chain restaurants doesn't make it a better place to live.

But I don't mean to disparage Greensboro in any way--it is a nice place to live, but Winston offers as much or more in quality of life. And it's made even better by being so close to Greensboro that it's easy to take advantage of all both cities have to offer.
Totally agree with above statements.

Although 28 miles doesn't seem like much distance, and certainly the traffic is nothing to compare to Atlanta's, the commute between W-S and Greensboro is no fun. I did it for a year many moons ago (from W-S to GSO). When you've got great options that meet your criteria in W-S, there is absolutely no need to commute if you don't HAVE to.

I'm a big believer in investing yourself into the community in which you live. It's hard to do when you live in one community and work in another.

For things going on in W-S, check out Smitty's Notes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 09:40 PM

479 posts, read 730,620 times
Winston-Salem is definitely the better fit for the individual inquiring. One of the Triad cities/towns/communities is not superior to the other; however they all offer differing lifestyle possibilities and local cultures.

Many people who move from Atlanta feel at home in Winston-Salem.

For the record I live in Greensboro and commute to Winston-Salem...the drive is more than worth it for me. Being Forsyth County simply doesn't offer what I'm looking for; enjoying life and activities after work. Reading the OP's wants/needs, I definitely believe Winston-Salem would offer the more natural fit.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:32 PM

4,578 posts, read 4,393,634 times
ATL..do a little research on both cities online and you'll figure out which city best fits your lifestyle. Both or great towns. Its depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for an innovative artsy town with a forward thinking mentality, Winston-Salem is your choice. If you are looking for a town with more entertainment/shopping options and access to good transportation service, Greensboro is your choice. However that's not to say Winston-Salem doesn't have any entertainment options or Greensboro doesn't have an artsy vibe.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 07-16-2012 at 01:40 PM..

Old 07-16-2012, 05:54 PM

24 posts, read 54,130 times
As a resident, of Winston-Salem, my perspective is naturally biased toward my own city. I think that Winston has better options for entertainment and shopping regardless of what gsoboi78 says. However if I worked in Greensboro and I was able to move, I would certainly consider it.

For me the equation boils down to time and money. Even though the two cities are 28 miles apart, depending on where you live and work, you'd be realistically looking at a 35 -45 minute drive each way. That equates to nearly an hour and half of each day that you can't be doing something else like working out, hanging with friends, etc.

Also, 28 miles might not seem like a lot, but if you can avoid a commute why not do so. When you add it up, 28 miles each ways comes to 280 miles a week or over 14,000 miles per year of extra driving. If you have an efficient car that get 30 mpg, then you'd still be looking at a yearly gas bill of almost $1,500, not to mention all the extra wear & tear on your vehicle.

On the contrary, if you worked in downtown Winston and lived there too, you could avoid all of that extra cost, plus have extra time for yourself during the day.

If I were in your shoes, I'd definitely choose to live where I'm going to work and avoid a senseless commute.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:38 PM

479 posts, read 730,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
ATL..do a little research on both cities online and you'll figure out which city best fits your lifestyle. Both or great towns. Its depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for an innovative artsy town with a forward thinking mentality, Winston-Salem is your choice. If you are looking for a town with more entertainment/shopping options and access to good transportation service, Greensboro is your choice. However that's not to say Winston-Salem doesn't have any entertainment options or Greensboro doesn't have an artsy vibe.

Indeed, having lived and worked in both cities. Winston-Salem is more about "attitude" irregardless of one's station in life...where Greensboro is more about "relaxed" and "chill."

The differences are in the art, the architecture, the voting statistics, etc. etc.

Some people like to say they're all the same, but NO they are NOT!

In Greensboro, homeless folks can stand on any street corner with a sign. In Winston-Salem, you'd damned well be selling a newspaper.

One will find good people in both cities... I don't agree that either city is paticularly "forward thinking" being aware of some mind-blowing missed opportunities the leadership and powers that be resisted in both towns. Both cities are kind of what they are, in spite of the local mentalities. Which is probably true of almost anywhere.

Kind of funny, when living and/or working in Winston-Salem...all of us transplants or GSO people find each other readily in that environment. I've noticed the converse for individuals who Winston-Salem more naturally fits.

Only reason I recommended W-S off the bat for the individual moving; is their want for "high-end" shopping? Sure we've got more than "high-end" shopping available in NC's third largest city. But we're more prone to do it in a jogging suit or baseball cap...listen to jazz or reggae while doing so.

Excellent post as always gsoboi78

Old 07-18-2012, 01:54 PM

11 posts, read 65,941 times
Thank you all for your input, you have given me A LOT to consider.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:48 AM

29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Both cities are in the same league and while one may have strengths the other doesn't, I don't think they're substantial enough to warrant putting an extra 250 miles or so on your car weekly. That adds up.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:57 PM

302 posts, read 536,664 times
ATL...forget all this nonsense, and settle in Winston-Salem unless you are making enough to pay for alot of gas in your budget. It is going up again, not down, in price. And good luck with your move.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:24 PM

4,578 posts, read 4,393,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
ATL...forget all this nonsense, and settle in Winston-Salem unless you are making enough to pay for alot of gas in your budget. It is going up again, not down, in price. And good luck with your move.
I'm sure she'll make an educated decision that's right for her where ever it may be. I work 45 miles from home. I could choose to live near my job but, I'd rather live where there are more available life style options.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:22 PM

29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I'm sure she'll make an educated decision that's right for her where ever it may be. I work 45 miles from home. I could choose to live near my job but, I'd rather live where there are more available life style options.
I work 45 miles from home too, but that's only because it's a pretty drastic difference when it comes to amenities, entertainment, etc. between where I work (small town in north GA near the mountains) and where I live (northern Fulton County). Very similar "lifestyle options" exist in both Greensboro and Winston-Salem being that they are essentially the same size. Hell, if I worked in Sanford, Troy, or Danville, I'd live in Greensboro too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point