U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 03:37 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,140,183 times

Advertisements

Just move to the city where you will work.

I lived quite a few years in Greensboro - didn't really go to Winston much other than to walk some of the street events, but I don't need to beat the drum for Greensboro. The cities are very similarly sized, they both have plenty to see and do. West Greensboro is where most of the retail options are, so its main draws are not far away from Winston anyhow if you go exploring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 07:50 PM

3,017 posts, read 1,808,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
Just move to the city where you will work.

I lived quite a few years in Greensboro - didn't really go to Winston much other than to walk some of the street events, but I don't need to beat the drum for Greensboro. The cities are very similarly sized, they both have plenty to see and do. West Greensboro is where most of the retail options are, so its main draws are not far away from Winston anyhow if you go exploring.
I agree! There is no need to create a commute if it isn't necessary - unless you enjoy spending your free time driving back and forth. Live near where you're going to work...that's the logical thing to do, especially in a situation where both areas are comparable in size and amenities like GSO and W-S.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:53 AM

1,865 posts, read 1,041,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I work 45 miles from home too, but that's only because it's a pretty drastic difference when it comes to amenities, entertainment, etc. between where I work (small town in north GA near the mountains) and where I live (northern Fulton County). Very similar "lifestyle options" exist in both Greensboro and Winston-Salem being that they are essentially the same size. Hell, if I worked in Sanford, Troy, or Danville, I'd live in Greensboro too.
True but Greensboro offers more of what she was looking for. There is just more choices. That's not saying one city is better than the other but having lived on both Winston-Salem and Greensboro, I can tell you Greensboro is the clearer choice in terms of shopping and entertainment. Commuting isn't an issue to me at all. Remember Greensboro to Winston-Salem is like going around the block to someone use to a larger spread out metro area like Atlanta. From city limit to city limit, Greensboro and Winston-Salem are only 5 miles apart. Depending on where her job is vs where she could live in Greensboro, the distance could be much closer than 28 miles.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:11 PM

11,115 posts, read 6,974,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
True but Greensboro offers more of what she was looking for. There is just more choices. That's not saying one city is better than the other but having lived on both Winston-Salem and Greensboro, I can tell you Greensboro is the clearer choice in terms of shopping and entertainment.
I understand your enthusiasm for your city, but come on--we're not talking about the differences between Charlotte and Greensboro here as you're making it out to be. The OP stated, "I am looking to live in a downtown area, close to a high-end mall, with great restaurants, nightlife, and a gym. I would like to live in a high-rise preferably, with covered parking and great amenities." That's very general and is something that both cities have and sorry to tell you, Greensboro doesn't have this huge edge on Winston-Salem here like you're making it out to be (and vice versa). The simple fact is that the relatively small differences that exist here with such generalized criteria aren't enough to create an unnecessary commute.

Quote:
Commuting isn't an issue to me at all. Remember Greensboro to Winston-Salem is like going around the block to someone use to a larger spread out metro area like Atlanta.
No it's not. I live in metro Atlanta so I know the value of not creating unnecessary commutes.

Quote:
From city limit to city limit, Greensboro and Winston-Salem are only 5 miles apart. Depending on where her job is vs where she could live in Greensboro, the distance could be much closer than 28 miles.
If that's the case, she might as well just live where her job is since she'll most likely be a couple of miles removed from most of the amenities she wants anyway.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:08 AM

23 posts, read 16,869 times
Greensboro, definitely.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:51 PM

Winston-Salem, definitely...although neither city is hands down better than the other - I just like W-S better. They are both medium-sized cities with medium-sized city amenities.

I would seriously try to locate near my job if I were you and use the time saved by not commuting for something enjoyable.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:35 PM

4 posts, read 7,456 times
I've visited both Winston-Salem and Greensboro more than a few times. I like the "feel" of Winston-Salem a lot more. Greensboro seems very generic to me. Maybe I'm missing something? Winston-Salem feels more "homey" and I like the artsy vibe also. One concern is that I've heard that W-S is very cliquey. I'm trying to decide between moving to Asheville and Winston-Salem or Greensboro myself.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:07 PM

91 posts, read 97,625 times
I'm from Winston. Can you explain further what you meant when you said you'd heard that it's "cliquey"?

Old 08-21-2012, 05:22 PM

1,865 posts, read 1,041,323 times
Based on what she was looking for, Greensboro is her best option

Old 08-21-2012, 06:26 PM

Based on what she was looking for, Winston-Salem is her best option.

It's all opinion, gsoboi. No need to act like there is a definitive answer to this question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point