U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-21-2012, 06:26 PM
 
Location: High Point, NC
97 posts, read 253,752 times
Reputation: 90

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Based on what she was looking for, Winston-Salem is her best option.

It's all opinion, gsoboi. No need to act like there is a definitive answer to this question.
Agreed. There is no definitive answer and to throw Gboro out as the only legitimate option is not helpful and frankly, misinformed. To the OP, you will be able to get a "feel" for each city- something none of us can really convey here other than our own experience, but other than which one you feel more comfortable in and getting around, there is no cut and dried answer, and both are great places to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-22-2012, 06:19 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
4,580 posts, read 4,395,902 times
Reputation: 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Based on what she was looking for, Winston-Salem is her best option.

It's all opinion, gsoboi. No need to act like there is a definitive answer to this question.
Nope, Greensboro has more shopping options, entertainment ect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2012, 08:19 AM
 
2,647 posts, read 6,083,157 times
Reputation: 3408
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Nope, Greensboro has more shopping options, entertainment ect.
Sounds like you need to visit Winston-Salem more often. Maybe you'd learn something.

Unless your idea of entertainment is gentlemen's clubs and chain store shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2012, 09:40 AM
 
29,878 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Reputation: 18427
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Winston-Salem, definitely...although neither city is hands down better than the other - I just like W-S better. They are both medium-sized cities with medium-sized city amenities.

I would seriously try to locate near my job if I were you and use the time saved by not commuting for something enjoyable.
Exactly. The fact that there's no clear consensus here as to which is better pretty much demonstrates that the two cities are practically on even footing here and the advantages one city might have over the other aren't enough to warrant an unnecessary daily commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2012, 09:47 AM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,922,270 times
Reputation: 4077
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Sounds like you need to visit Winston-Salem more often. Maybe you'd learn something.

Unless your idea of entertainment is gentlemen's clubs and chain store shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2012, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
4,580 posts, read 4,395,902 times
Reputation: 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Exactly. The fact that there's no clear consensus here as to which is better pretty much demonstrates that the two cities are practically on even footing here and the advantages one city might have over the other aren't enough to warrant an unnecessary daily commute.
I disagree. Both cities have difference. There are some things Winston has more of and there are some things Greensboro has more of. I'm not saying one city is better than the other but when it comes to retail, restaurants and entertainment Greensboro wins hands down. There are plenty of people who commute to work from Greensboro to Winston-Salem and vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 12:54 AM
 
Location: High Point, NC
97 posts, read 253,752 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I disagree. Both cities have difference. There are some things Winston has more of and there are some things Greensboro has more of. I'm not saying one city is better than the other but when it comes to retail, restaurants and entertainment Greensboro wins hands down. There are plenty of people who commute to work from Greensboro to Winston-Salem and vice versa.
What are some examples of retail, restaurants and entertainment Greensboro offers that, in your opinion, make Greensboro win "hands down" over Winston? Hands down? And if just as many people commute from Greensboro to work to Winston as commute from Winston to work in Greensboro, wouldn't that mean there isn't a general consensus as to which city is better to live in, making your hands down argument for Greensboro a pretty weak one?

You started in this thread by praising both cities, but later said Greensboro was "alive with more amenities". I'm not sure what that means, since amenities mean different things to different people. But to continue, you went on to say "I could choose to live near my job but, I'd rather live where there are more available life style options." What lifestyle options do you enjoy in Greensboro that you wouldn't have access to in Winston-Salem? You never listed any of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
ATL..do a little research on both cities online and you'll figure out which city best fits your lifestyle. Both or great towns. Its depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for an innovative artsy town with a forward thinking mentality, Winston-Salem is your choice. If you are looking for a town with more entertainment/shopping options and access to good transportation service, Greensboro is your choice. However that's not to say Winston-Salem doesn't have any entertainment options or Greensboro doesn't have an artsy vibe.
Here you seem to be saying there isn't much difference between the two cities but later go on to say,
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Nope, Greensboro has more shopping options, entertainment ect.
Hanes Mall and Four Seasons deserve at least a mention, including a few comments based on your own personal experiences if you're going to make a definitive statement about which city offers better shopping options. You offered none, much less any relevant facts, statistics or supporting arguments based on your own experiences in each city.

When advising people who are moving here for the first time, who may have never even seen the area, maybe a little more effort and thought should go into your responses. You're all over the place and although you seem determined to stand for Greensboro over Winston-Salem, you've managed to negate both in your collective comments. They are confusing and nonsensical. You've left your reader with no more of an idea of what each of the two cities can offer them than before they read your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 06:09 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
4,580 posts, read 4,395,902 times
Reputation: 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by laneynewport View Post
What are some examples of retail, restaurants and entertainment Greensboro offers that, in your opinion, make Greensboro win "hands down" over Winston? Hands down? And if just as many people commute from Greensboro to work to Winston as commute from Winston to work in Greensboro, wouldn't that mean there isn't a general consensus as to which city is better to live in, making your hands down argument for Greensboro a pretty weak one?

You started in this thread by praising both cities, but later said Greensboro was "alive with more amenities". I'm not sure what that means, since amenities mean different things to different people. But to continue, you went on to say "I could choose to live near my job but, I'd rather live where there are more available life style options." What lifestyle options do you enjoy in Greensboro that you wouldn't have access to in Winston-Salem? You never listed any of them.

Im not going to create a post listing all of them. I think its obvious to anyone who lives in the area. There is more entertainment, nightlife and retail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 06:15 AM
 
2,647 posts, read 6,083,157 times
Reputation: 3408
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Im not going to create a post listing all of them. I think its obvious to anyone who lives in the area. There is more entertainment, nightlife and retail.

Hey, I want to play too...

Winston-Salem has better-looking, smarter, and nicer people than Greensboro. I'm not going to give you any examples or support for my argument, but it's true just because I say so.


Is that how you play this game?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 06:56 AM
 
Location: Charlotte
302 posts, read 536,849 times
Reputation: 268
You can't win arguments with people who are like kids who have to have the last word. From someone who lives in Charlotte, and has lived in Winston-Salem and Greensboro both, I say Winston-Salem is preferable from all the "amenities" I generally consider. And I'm not talking about larger population, more four-lane roads, more bars and clubs (hense more shootings here lately), more restaurants. I factor in the current economy, job creation, the wealth of arts, history, and other cultural activities, the edge of educated, corporate, and arts-minded creative class individuals, more giving to charities and the arts, and the proximity to northwest NC recreation and the Yadkin Valley wine country. All these things give Winston-Salem my edge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top