U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 08:38 AM

2,655 posts, read 6,098,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL2NC12 View Post
According to the leasing agent at The Gallery Lofts, a freight train comes through the city rather often. I witnessed it first hand, no need for me to "fudge" facts, so not sure what "fishy" scent you smell...Maybe you should check it out for yourself. Either way, its not my cup of tea
Nothing wrong with Greensboro, and you're right--each to his own. I am a bit confused by your focus on the train tracks, though. The tracks run along the eastern edge of downtown, well away from the restaurants/shopping/arts areas. The Gallery Lofts is the only place I can think of that's anywhere near them--there are plenty of other downtown living options that are nowhere near the tracks. It sounds like that's the only place you looked.

But regardless, if you like Greensboro better then go for it. It's a nice place to live. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 09:51 AM

4,604 posts, read 4,424,062 times
Quote:
Different strokes for different folks
Congrats! I think you'll love the boro. Greensboro's population just went from 273,425 to 273,426

Old 09-03-2012, 03:50 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,327,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Congrats! I think you'll love the boro. Greensboro's population just went from 273,425 to 273,426
That's funny!

Old 09-03-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Different strokes for different folks
Just so you know there is a train depot in downtown Gboro; freight & commuter pass through frequently.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Good for you...I hope you enjoy suburban hell. Let's stay in touch!
Suburban hell? Really?

Old 09-10-2012, 11:24 AM

302 posts, read 538,171 times
Funny, I have lived in three different desirable neighborhoods here in Charlotte in the last 10 years, and in all three I hear a freight train. As a matter of fact, I was awakened by one this morning, and I currently live in Myers Park. Lived in Dilworth before (the equivalent to the West End in Winston-Salem) and heard freight trains several times a day. Before that, I lived in Elizabeth, adjacent to Presbyterian Hospital (a neighborhood I would equate with Ardmore in WS), and heard freight trains several times a day there too. This fact I have never used as an issue to not live in either place, nor did it make me want to move to another city or neighborhood. If you choose to live in the city, you get used to the sounds of the city, just as I have done living near a medical center, and having to live with sirens amost daily.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
Funny, I have lived in three different desirable neighborhoods here in Charlotte in the last 10 years, and in all three I hear a freight train. As a matter of fact, I was awakened by one this morning, and I currently live in Myers Park. Lived in Dilworth before (the equivalent to the West End in Winston-Salem) and heard freight trains several times a day. Before that, I lived in Elizabeth, adjacent to Presbyterian Hospital (a neighborhood I would equate with Ardmore in WS), and heard freight trains several times a day there too. This fact I have never used as an issue to not live in either place, nor did it make me want to move to another city or neighborhood. If you choose to live in the city, you get used to the sounds of the city, just as I have done living near a medical center, and having to live with sirens amost daily.
I remember when we bought our first house in the city. Having lived outiside the city limits for so long I thought I would never adjust to the sounds, but it only took a few months.
Depending on where the OP chooses to live more than likely she will hear the trains that roll through here also.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,609 times
hi! I'm also from Atl and I get you with the vibe and the number of activities present there. I'm just starting to do my research on the NC area and looking at Durham and Raleigh too. How's Greensboro/WS so far for you? Thanks!

Old 12-27-2012, 12:47 PM

4,604 posts, read 4,424,062 times
Just a little Triad rivalry humor

Old 01-06-2013, 06:31 PM

22 posts, read 30,911 times
Honestly..I spent 22 years in W-S and I could not wait to leave. The whole Piedmont Triad area sucks. High taxes, rude people. In general some of the rudest people I have ever met live in NC. There is not a damn thing for people to do. I mean how many times do you go to Reynolda Gardens. The OP is correct on the trains in downtown W-S. I looked at one of their apartments and the track was right outside the door. At least GSO has an airport (please don't get me started on Smith Reynolds). I always thought it odd the city had to combine Winston and Salem for a name. I even had people from out of state ask me "Could they not come up with a one word name?" Then you got those little towns on the outskirts like King. A racist town full of idiots. The piedmont triad is a small area with narrow minded people and is by no means forward thinking in way. I could go on and on but I thank God that I no longer live in W-S or in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point