Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 07:23 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laneynewport View Post
What are some examples of retail, restaurants and entertainment Greensboro offers that, in your opinion, make Greensboro win "hands down" over Winston? Hands down? And if just as many people commute from Greensboro to work to Winston as commute from Winston to work in Greensboro, wouldn't that mean there isn't a general consensus as to which city is better to live in, making your hands down argument for Greensboro a pretty weak one?
EXACTLY. Any differences that exist are relatively minor and aren't really going to be enough to warrant an unnecessary commute. The way he's talking, you'd think Greensboro was more like Charlotte and Winston-Salem was more like High Point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 11:54 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Im not going to create a post listing all of them. I think its obvious to anyone who lives in the area. There is more entertainment, nightlife and retail.
Why not? You made the statement, now back it up if you can.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Hey, I want to play too...

Winston-Salem has better-looking, smarter, and nicer people than Greensboro. I'm not going to give you any examples or support for my argument, but it's true just because I say so.

Is that how you play this game?
Apparently that is how you play the game...and I think you just won.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:58 AM

97 posts, read 315,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Im not going to create a post listing all of them. I think its obvious to anyone who lives in the area. There is more entertainment, nightlife and retail.
But you answered a post from someone who's not from here so it wouldn't be obvious to them.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:00 PM

<silence>

Old 08-29-2012, 12:58 PM

11 posts, read 72,162 times
I must say that after reading through all of your posts, I am still confused! Which means that there is not much difference between the cities...I will be visiting both cities over the next few days and it ultimately comes down to my quality of living, reasonable commute to the office, and distance to Charlotte as I will be traveling there to visit with friends some weekends...W-S seems to be closer by 20 miles...Thank you all for your input.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL2NC12 View Post
I must say that after reading through all of your posts, I am still confused! Which means that there is not much difference between the cities...I will be visiting both cities over the next few days and it ultimately comes down to my quality of living, reasonable commute to the office, and distance to Charlotte as I will be traveling there to visit with friends some weekends...W-S seems to be closer by 20 miles...Thank you all for your input.
Good luck! Winston-Salem is actually a bit closer to Charlotte than Greensboro, and if you choose to locate on the west side of W-S it's much closer to go I40 west to I77 straight into Charlotte. Both highways are much more pleasant that I85 (less big trucks).

Old 08-29-2012, 04:30 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
EXACTLY. Any differences that exist are relatively minor and aren't really going to be enough to warrant an unnecessary commute. The way he's talking, you'd think Greensboro was more like Charlotte and Winston-Salem was more like High Point.
That's just mean, I would never use an analogy such as this.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:59 AM

11 posts, read 72,162 times
I visited downtown W-S and The Gallery lofts. The lofts are beautiful inside, but I am not pleased with the fact that my next door neighbors would be a freight train and abandoned warehouse building. Also, the downtown area in general did not impress me, and I waited 10 mins to cross an intersection as the frieght train had to pass. Not to mention, there are some railroad intersections without trip arms, good thing I heard the horn and looked up to see only flashing red lights indicating the train was coming towards me...As of now W-S is a no for me! I will be visiting downtown Greensboro today, and I hope it goes well...I also just realized that we have a smaller office in Greensboro, and I got the OK to work out of there if needed, so it looks like commute won't be an issue.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL2NC12 View Post
I visited downtown W-S and The Gallery lofts. The lofts are beautiful inside, but I am not pleased with the fact that my next door neighbors would be a freight train and abandoned warehouse building. Also, the downtown area in general did not impress me, and I waited 10 mins to cross an intersection as the frieght train had to pass. Not to mention, there are some railroad intersections without trip arms, good thing I heard the horn and looked up to see only flashing red lights indicating the train was coming towards me...As of now W-S is a no for me! I will be visiting downtown Greensboro today, and I hope it goes well...I also just realized that we have a smaller office in Greensboro, and I got the OK to work out of there if needed, so it looks like commute won't be an issue.
You should have let everyone know that industrial areas scare you...then we could have recommended Greensboro easily.

I can't believe someone would judge a city by one little corner of it, but you'll find that downtown Greensboro is just about one little corner of downtown Winston-Salem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point