Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2013, 07:02 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,518,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83mercury View Post
Honestly..I spent 22 years in W-S and I could not wait to leave. The whole Piedmont Triad area sucks. High taxes, rude people. In general some of the rudest people I have ever met live in NC. There is not a damn thing for people to do. I mean how many times do you go to Reynolda Gardens. The OP is correct on the trains in downtown W-S. I looked at one of their apartments and the track was right outside the door. At least GSO has an airport (please don't get me started on Smith Reynolds). I always thought it odd the city had to combine Winston and Salem for a name. I even had people from out of state ask me "Could they not come up with a one word name?" Then you got those little towns on the outskirts like King. A racist town full of idiots. The piedmont triad is a small area with narrow minded people and is by no means forward thinking in way. I could go on and on but I thank God that I no longer live in W-S or in NC.
That bad but it took you 22 yrs to leave. Interesting.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 07:24 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,131,726 times
Quote:
I could go on and on but I thank God that I no longer live in W-S or in NC.

Yeah, thank God!

Old 01-07-2013, 03:27 PM

322 posts, read 663,864 times
I'd give two cents to know where 83mercury lives now?
We might get a real good laugh.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
I was wondering the same.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:13 PM

22 posts, read 34,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
That bad but it took you 22 yrs to leave. Interesting.
I am from W-S and once I graduated from college I left. Been gone for years now. Sometimes my wife and I will go there to visit some family. After 2 days of looking at Pilot Mountain we are ready to leave. At least they finally got some of 52 paved.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
I am from W-S and once I graduated from college I left. Been gone for years now. Sometimes my wife and I will go there to visit some family. After 2 days of looking at Pilot Mountain we are ready to leave. At least they finally got some of 52 paved.
Last time I was on 52 all of it was paved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
You didn't answer this, but it is reasonable to ascertain from your OP you are appear to be narrow minded as well. Granted activities are not out in your face as they are in larger metro areas, but W-S & Gboro are not large metros to begin with. You weren't happy here and moved away, that does say something.

Last edited by WFW&P; 01-07-2013 at 08:26 PM..

Old 01-07-2013, 09:00 PM

22 posts, read 34,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Last time I was on 52 all of it was paved.

You didn't answer this, but it is reasonable to ascertain from your OP you are appear to be narrow minded as well. Granted activities are not out in your face as they are in larger metro areas, but W-S & Gboro are not large metros to begin with. You weren't happy here and moved away, that does say something.
I meant repaved as it used to be old and rough. Hell yes I'm narrow minded I'm from W-S, NC.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:10 AM

6,152 posts, read 7,167,184 times
Winston-Salem has always gotten the shaft when it comes to getting transportation dollars. The city has been weak in transportation because of it. There is no true passenger airport in the city and there is no train station there. A city of WInston-Salem's stature should have a train station. I know it's coming soon because the city is purchasing the old depot (Davis Garage), but it's so long overdue. Winston-Salem has the poorest highways among NC's major five cities. Most are still 4 lanes with exception to the 40 bypass which has 6 lanes. There are portions of Highway 52 which have never been paved. Not knocking Winston-Salem for it because I blame the state. For years Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham got the bulk of the state's transportation dollars and only recently we started seeing a lot of highway projects in the Triad, mainly in Greensboro. There was a time when I-40 in Greensboro was 4 lanes while Charlotte and Raleigh were building multi-lane highways with spaghetti multi-level fly over bridges. Now I-40 in west Greensboro has 10 lanes with a very small portion that has 12 lanes. Greensboro's southern loop has 8 lanes. The Triad is just now playing catch up.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:27 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,131,726 times
gsoboi, no offense but IMO your post is way off base. I suppose if by "always" you mean in the past 5 years, perhaps Winston-Salem may have somewhat gotten the shaft, but that's only because money has been needed much more in other metro areas. Just to point out a few things:

First of all, historically W-S was on the cutting edge of aviation for many years. Piedmont Airlines (which later became USAir) was founded and headquartered here, and passenger service was available at Reynolds Airport until industry deregulation made it more practical to focus the area's resources on PTI.

Secondly, while W-S is taking steps to restore train service, I don't think it's accurate to say it's "long overdue". Train travel is enjoying some resurgence, but for the most part over the past few decades it hasn't been a popular choice. I think this move is more proactive than reactive, and the focus will be more towards light rail and intracity service than long-distance travel.

Third, regarding highways, I have no idea what makes you think W-S has the "poorest highways among NC's five major cities". Traffic moves quite well here, and even at rush hour it's only a minor inconvenience. No, W-S doesn't have a lot of 6 lane highways, because we don't need them! With US 52 as the only reasonable exception, W-S streets and highways do a good job of handling the traffic that's here. And US 52 is now being upgraded as part of the I-74 corridor, so that problem is being addressed. And by the way, there are several 6-lane roads here already, including parts of Peter's Creek Parkway, University Parkway, and Silas Creek Parkway.

I think most anyone in Charlotte or the Triangle would say the Triad gets its share of dollars and then some. As you point out, the Triad has had a number of major, relatively recent projects, such as the I-40 expansion and Bryan Blvd changes around the PTI airport, the southern GSO loop, the "new" I-40 in Winston, straightening of the Hawthorne curve, and the northern W-S loop (in the planning stage), all of which were more proactive in nature as compared to some of the needs in Charlotte and the Triangle. By that I mean that the traffic problems these projects solved would be considered minimal if you lived in the other metro areas; despite all the recent construction in Charlotte, it remains a traffic nightmare in many places. And Raleigh, like Charlotte, can't build new roads fast enough to keep up with the growth.

I think you have it backwards, in that the Triad is not playing catch-up at all. If anything, this area has enjoyed mostly trouble-free traffic for a long time, and it's doing a pretty good job of positioning itself for the future.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:14 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,489,794 times
Bravo, arbyunc!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point