U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 02:38 PM

5,754 posts, read 4,228,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintarheel View Post
I would recommend a Channel Master antenna. Since most HD channels are still on UHF, get a decent high gain UHF antenna. Channel Master are well built and mine has been through several ice storms with no problems.

As far as an amp..unless you have just an incredibly long cable run from the antenna to the TV, they can overpower the signal. I believe CM still makes amps though if you're interested in one.

As long as you don't have trees blocking your northern view, you should be able to receive most of the Roanoke channels fairly decent from Summerfield. I live in southern Alamance County and have gotten WDBJ, WFXR, and WSLS with my antenna a few times when the leaves are off of the trees (otherwise the trees kill the signal for me). WDBJ, WSLS, and WFXR all have transmitters on Poor Mountain southwest of Roanoke, which gives the northern Triad decent coverage of the Roanoke market. The exception is WSET..its transmitter is near Lynchburg and is much harder to get unless you're in one of the border counties like Caswell or Rockingham.

If you have friends though...the less hassle is the Slingbox. They're awesome.
I am going to have to look into this Slingbox thing!

Well, I do have trees surrounding where the antenna would go, but from what some engineers have told me, the TV antennas don't require direct line of sight like what the satellite dishes would require (and my satellite dish is pointing right through the trees.) So, I think I would be OK in those regards. Now, the cable from the antenna would run from the antenna on the rooftop, down into my crawl space, and up through a cable "hole" in the living room. I would assume the amp would either be somewhere mounted to the side of the house or actually in the house.

I've been looking into those channel Master antennas. I know a lot of people swear by Winegate as well. I'd want a directional antenna with rotor system so I can better pinpoint signals. Signals do tend to change sometimes, depending on what part of the year it is. Oh, WSET is still on a VHF signal. So that might be why you can't pick it up if you have a UHF only antenna. Even though there are very few VHF stations, there might be more down the road and I figured doesn't hurt to get a good, strong UHF/VHF directional antenna. I'm not too worried about WSET though. WFXR, WDBJ, and WSLS would be the Roanoke stations I'm most concerned about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 02:41 PM

45,061 posts, read 17,902,619 times
A very good alternative is the Antennacraft HBU series or the Winegard 768xP series. These are combo antennas (VHF-Hi, UHF) , that have good gain, they are well built and also made in the USA.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 248 times
skinsguy37, Thanks for your posts. My family and I live in Oak Ridge as well. I too am considering cancelling my satellite and going with an OTA. Looking at Sling tv & Hulu. Please give an update regarding which antenna you decided to go with, and how it's performing. I'd really appreciate any input you'd be willing to provide. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or