U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-17-2012, 06:34 PM
 
Location: The 12th State
22,974 posts, read 58,576,458 times
Reputation: 14925

Advertisements

I had a routine watching WXII at 6pm then Nightly News followed right after. I notice it end of the week but due to lightening hit one of cable lines, I thought it must be something with cable box picking up out of area station.

The station call letters is WBRE and I was expecting local news but where ever that station is lead story was that Sandosky crap. I dont care the dude in jail plus Margaret Johnson, Cameron Kent, Wanda Starke & Lannie Pope work great with each other. I remember Lannie from when she worked in Charlotte area.

I didnt even want to try that station out even though I did like there set so I switch to Fox 8 which I given mostly up since they left ABC with Fred Blackman, The blonde anchor woman name at tip of my tongue and Frank Deal.
Then turn the dial afterwards to Peter Jennings.

I do remember watching Bob Buckley covering one of the hurricanes on coast and the wind swept him right off the screen. best 15 seconds of news

Btw I watch News 2 for Lunch, but switch it up for dinner I miss Sandra Hughes over there, she was best in the Triad. What happen to Mike Hogwood last time I saw him on air his size has ballooned.
CNN has become pathetic nothing but regurgitated stuff or political talking points.

For your past time enjoyment Those gas prices shown, ooo the days of pump wars.


WGHP-TV 8-High Point, NC Eyewitness Newscast-December 1980 with Fred Blackman and Frank Deal, etc. - YouTube

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-17-2012 at 06:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2012, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Winston-Salem
273 posts, read 850,323 times
Reputation: 188
Pull out your bunny ears, it's your cable provider not the station. TWC and Hurst (owner of wxii) are in a scuffle over fees/contract, so TWC pulled the station. From what I remember, I think the feed you're seeing is from Scranton, PA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 07:38 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,300,457 times
Reputation: 8896
As I understand it WXII and TWC couldn't come to an agreement for whatever reason:
Notice to WXII viewers, Time Warner Cable subscribers | About Us - WXII Home
I prefer WFMY but they have had their share of problems lately, hopefully the new station manager can get them back on track.
Is Cynthia Smoot the co-anchor you were tyring to think of?
As for Hogwood he is still around, I always found him obnoxious, he is mainly a pitchman now and will commentate ACC games during the basketball season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 09:19 PM
 
Location: The 12th State
22,974 posts, read 58,576,458 times
Reputation: 14925
OIC, thanks. Bunny ears I haven't own one of those, well since there was only 13 channels and used them to get channel 45 on UHF, if your lucky you could get channel 36.

Thanks for info on WBRE, explains the lead story of Sadusky, it local news to them.
I did like there set and newscasters seem professional like the ones at WBTV in Charlotte are.

I like WFMY for lunch, but they do alot of soft news to life living segments. Plus since there out of Greensboro at least before they trying there new whatever format, I dont think know lol. They cater and they should to areas around Greensboro.
WXII was good for stories closer to Davidson County and since they are base there the weather radar was better to rely on since storms typically move west to east.

Cynthia Smoot came on about same time Neil McNeil did, it was before her.

When the weather is bad, I turn to WFMY to see how the meteorologist going to handle it. lol One day Grant was reporting and whoever has property beside them chose that time to run a leaf blower.

I appreciate the info akwebb81 and WFW&P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,753 posts, read 4,225,496 times
Reputation: 3817
Wow SunnyKayak, thanks for posting that video!!! Even though my family lives in VA, we used to watch Channel 8 news with Fred Blackmon, Frank Deal, and wasn't it Carolyn Klein the female co-anchor?

Anyways, we would watch the news up through Frank Deal's weather forecast, then we would switch the station to channel 7 news out of Roanoke to see what their weather report was. Luckily, we could watch both weather reports. Those were the days of ABC channel 8! Is Fred Blackmon and Frank Deal still alive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 04:38 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,300,457 times
Reputation: 8896
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Wow SunnyKayak, thanks for posting that video!!! Even though my family lives in VA, we used to watch Channel 8 news with Fred Blackmon, Frank Deal, and wasn't it Carolyn Klein the female co-anchor?

Anyways, we would watch the news up through Frank Deal's weather forecast, then we would switch the station to channel 7 news out of Roanoke to see what their weather report was. Luckily, we could watch both weather reports. Those were the days of ABC channel 8! Is Fred Blackmon and Frank Deal still alive?
Frank died some years ago, but I think Fred is still around as I saw him a couple of years ago in High Point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 04:41 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,300,457 times
Reputation: 8896
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
When the weather is bad, I turn to WFMY to see how the meteorologist going to handle it. lol One day Grant was reporting and whoever has property beside them chose that time to run a leaf blower.

I appreciate the info akwebb81 and WFW&P
WFMY's property is next to a small residential area. Actually I'm surprised people haven't heard gunshots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2012, 05:50 AM
 
Location: The 12th State
22,974 posts, read 58,576,458 times
Reputation: 14925
I seen Fred Blackman doing a bath remodel commercial but Im sure he enjoying retirement.
I think your right it was Carol Klein, she was as professional as Fred so they worked well together, and quirky Frank made it a good news cast.

The video is a trip technology wise, or the lack of. The radar look like a satellite image and Frank had to look up in book on weather facts.

Out of amusement I watch WBRE, I like some of commercials up there and places to shop. The counties mention in news cast remind me of Indian names.

Are the employees of WXII still employed? There is no ad revenue to pay them. If so I hope they take time to update there set. I am missing Lannie Pope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2012, 07:34 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,753 posts, read 4,225,496 times
Reputation: 3817
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Frank died some years ago, but I think Fred is still around as I saw him a couple of years ago in High Point.
I had to Google the old news staff. Yeah, unfortunately, Frank Deal died back in 2010. He was in a nursing home. I guess he died from complications of Alzheimer's disease. When I was a little kid, I used to draw maps of the United States and pretend that I was Frank Deal giving the weather report...lol! Obviously, he never realized what an affect he had on some of us! I would have liked to have met him before he had gotten sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2012, 05:15 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,300,457 times
Reputation: 8896
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I seen Fred Blackman doing a bath remodel commercial but Im sure he enjoying retirement.
I think your right it was Carol Klein, she was as professional as Fred so they worked well together, and quirky Frank made it a good news cast.

The video is a trip technology wise, or the lack of. The radar look like a satellite image and Frank had to look up in book on weather facts.

Out of amusement I watch WBRE, I like some of commercials up there and places to shop. The counties mention in news cast remind me of Indian names.

Are the employees of WXII still employed? There is no ad revenue to pay them. If so I hope they take time to update there set. I am missing Lannie Pope.
Only TWC customers are affected; WXII is still broadcasting over the air and on satellite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top