Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 08:10 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,465,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
It's not unusual for Greensboro to be throwing it's hat into the ring...as it's city councilmen/women must be desparate for job creation or recruitment after losing 1200 AmEx jobs, and just this spring 685 more call center jobs, after Winston-Salem has already voted on incentives for this company. And how odd the N&R mentions the 'gentlemen's agreement' amongst the Triad cities, yet Greensboro is, again, trying to up the offer, and steal the thunder from Winston-Salem. If there exists such an understood agreement, where are the gentlemen in Greensboro? It's no wonder there is ever any consensus or trust between the two business communities, or ever will be. Greensboro's only grateful, and jealous, that High Point has dropped out of the running after recruiting several times the jobs to the Triad that Greensboro has in the last year or so. No matter how many thousand people it has more of over Winston-Salem, or how many more restaurants, shopping, or four-lane roads Greensboro has, it is in decline. If I'm wrong, then why is H&M, Coach, Trader Joes, and others setting up shop in Winston-Salem, and not Greensboro. I don't think it's because of the city's "attitude" or a lack of casual shoppers in their gym shorts. Winston-Salem has more money to pony up to the plate, regardless of a so called bidding war. This has been proven for years in it's higher medium income, unsurpassed giving to the arts and charities, such as United Way, and it's wealth second only to the Duke Endowment in one NC city in the area of charitable foundations.
Triadism is virtually nonexistent. So much for the joke of a "GSO" airport, if you have to fly out on a connecting flight through Charlotte, a true hub. The PTIA only benefits Guilford, and Greensboro, as a recruiting tool for FexEX, HondaJet, and the like, with the help and support of friends in Forsyth.
What is your point? Greensboro doesn't play fair in bringing jobs to the area? Doesn't sound like it if they are in THAT much of a decline as you have suggested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 02:39 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,222,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
There are no rose coloured glasses here, thanx. I'm very much a realist. And besides, I don't live in Greensboro, or Winston-Salem, but I know plenty about both, and what is going on in the business or economic world of both cities. What I stated are facts, not opinions, but if anyone wants my opinion I am certainly welcome to give it...after all, this forum is full of them. My comment about decline in Greensboro has to do with the fact that it is bleeding more jobs than it is creating or retaining. Sure Winston-Salem has lost jobs at RJR....it has lost jobs on that front since the early 90's, but that city has put into place efforts in medical, biotechnical, the arts, and research to lure jobs that are much different than the old economy empolyers such as tobacco and textiles. Sure it gained, then lost Dell, but Winston-Salem came out better with a state of the art facility available for another business, and got back all the millions it promised to Dell because they defaulted on their agreement. W-S and it's MSA within the last 6 months have created hundreds of jobs at Inmar, Ashley Furniture Distribution. If Greensboro is doing the same, I'd like to know where they are.
Greensboro has also worked hard for the jobs of the 21st century. In addition to companies like HondaJet moving in, The city's universities have developed Gateway University Research Park which includes a school of nanotechnology. It's one of a few schools nationwide where you can get both a doctoral degree in both nanoscience and nanoengineering. Greensboro is laying the foundation for a future in research, advanced hi-tech manufacturing, aerospace and aviation. Also Greensboro leaders are planning a downtown university district which will have educational buildings for all of the city's colleges and universities. Research will also be conducted in these buildings. Its a pretty forward thinking idea because no other city in NC has a downtown university district.

Greensboro wants to do something similar to this for it's downtown. It takes an urban research park a step further.

http://www.spokaneuniversitydistrict.com/

Greensboro is also doing some pretty unique things for its downtown to retain the creative class. It's one of the first cities nationwide to build a greenway with public art and monuments that loops around it's downtown. There is currently an effort to build a 3,000 seat regional downtown performing arts center and the Triad could get it's first luxury chain hotel in downtown Greensboro. There are plans to build a 10-story Wyndham luxury hotel behind the Elm Street Center.

Greensboro has been attracting high profile events like the U.S. Figure Skating Championships, televised national swim competitions and much more.

This doesn't sound like a city on the decline. It sounds like a city getting ready to take off. I'm not trying to say Greensboro is better than Winston-Salem or vice versa. But I am defending Greensboro because I believe the city is moving forward. Greensboro and Winston-Salem need to learn how to move forward together.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 07-23-2012 at 02:56 PM..

Old 07-23-2012, 04:03 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Greensboro has also worked hard for the jobs of the 21st century. In addition to companies like HondaJet moving in, The city's universities have developed Gateway University Research Park which includes a school of nanotechnology. It's one of a few schools nationwide where you can get both a doctoral degree in both nanoscience and nanoengineering. Greensboro is laying the foundation for a future in research, advanced hi-tech manufacturing, aerospace and aviation. Also Greensboro leaders are planning a downtown university district which will have educational buildings for all of the city's colleges and universities. Research will also be conducted in these buildings. Its a pretty forward thinking idea because no other city in NC has a downtown university district.

Greensboro wants to do something similar to this for it's downtown. It takes an urban research park a step further.

Spokane University District

Greensboro is also doing some pretty unique things for its downtown to retain the creative class. It's one of the first cities nationwide to build a greenway with public art and monuments that loops around it's downtown. There is currently an effort to build a 3,000 seat regional downtown performing arts center and the Triad could get it's first luxury chain hotel in downtown Greensboro. There are plans to build a 10-story Wyndham luxury hotel behind the Elm Street Center.

Greensboro has been attracting high profile events like the U.S. Figure Skating Championships, televised national swim competitions and much more.

This doesn't sound like a city on the decline. It sounds like a city getting ready to take off. I'm not trying to say Greensboro is better than Winston-Salem or vice versa. But I am defending Greensboro because I believe the city is moving forward. Greensboro and Winston-Salem need to learn how to move forward together.
Great post! Couldn't rep you!

Old 07-23-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Great post! Couldn't rep you!

Thanks! For those interested in development strategies for downtown Greensboro that will promote economic development and help retain young professionals, look at this link. Greensboro is preparing to make some bold moves. Part of the longer term plan includes a light rail system linking Moses Cone Hospital, downtown, NC A&T, UNCG, Gateway University Research Park, the Greensboro Coliseum and Koury Convention Center/mall, ect.

http://208.53.2.144/assets/files/Dow...al-9.28-10.pdf

Last edited by gsoboi78; 07-23-2012 at 05:18 PM..

Old 07-23-2012, 10:05 PM

231 posts, read 713,004 times
I think most people seem to be missing the point that the cities within the Triad need to stop competing with each other except where they're the only locations being considered. The region needs to sell itself as a whole in order to compete nationally and internationally.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
I think most people seem to be missing the point that the cities within the Triad need to stop competing with each other except where they're the only locations being considered. The region needs to sell itself as a whole in order to compete nationally and internationally.
There has been a long time pattern of the Triad cities competing with one another, particularly Greensboro and Winston-Salem. It all started with the airport. Both cities built their own airports but Greensboro ended up having the region's main airport. Some thought PTI should have been located in a more central location in the Triad. When I-73 was planned for the Triad, it originally was suppose to go through Winston-Salem and High Point bypassing Greensboro. Greensboro leaders successfully lobbied to have I-73 bypass Winston-Salem and rerouted through Greensboro instead. However Winston and High Point eventually got I-74. Another example is when a research park was first proposed for the Triad, many thought it would be located in the middle of the Triad. Winston-Salem leaders chose to build Piedmont Triad Research Park in downtown Winston-Salem. Because of this, Greensboro and its educational institutions didn't take any part in it and built its own research park in Greensboro. The competition continued in the 2000's. Many point out the fact that Winston-Salem built a downtown ballpark right after Greensboro built one. When Winston-Salem proceeded with a mass annexation, the city really closed the population gap between Greensboro and Winston-Salem. Greensboro then responded with its own mass annexation right before the 2010 census which virtually erased any gains Winston-Salem made. Unlike Raleigh and Durham, Greensboro and Winston-Salem are much closer in size. Raleigh has 423,000 people versus Durham's 225,000 people. Winston-Salem has 223,000 people and Greensboro has 270,000 people. Because of this the two largest Triad cities are more competitive. Winston-Salem doesn't want to play second fiddle to Greensboro. It wants to be an important urban center in its own right.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:13 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,465,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Thanks! For those interested in development strategies for downtown Greensboro that will promote economic development and help retain young professionals, look at this link. Greensboro is preparing to make some bold moves. Part of the longer term plan includes a light rail system linking Moses Cone Hospital, downtown, NC A&T, UNCG, Gateway University Research Park, the Greensboro Coliseum and Koury Convention Center/mall, ect.

http://208.53.2.144/assets/files/Dow...al-9.28-10.pdf
Thanks! I am definitely interested!

Old 07-24-2012, 01:16 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
The region needs to sell itself as a whole in order to compete nationally and internationally.
This message does seem to be getting missed. A lot.

gsoboi... exploring why it has been the case in the past and may even continue
to be the case into the future -even articulately- really doesn't help anything.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:32 PM

8 posts, read 11,158 times
Fortunately, I don't owe anyone. Just looking up info on this company. The only calls I get are scammers who use slimy tactics and get my number from the DO NOT CALL list - so I just block their calls. There are many people who arroneously get calls from debt collectors as the debtor gives a wrong name or number.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:55 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOKN4RENTAL View Post
Fortunately, I don't owe anyone. Just looking up info on this company. The only calls I get are scammers who use slimy tactics and get my number from the DO NOT CALL list - so I just block their calls. There are many people who arroneously get calls from debt collectors as the debtor gives a wrong name or number.

Sometimes I think there is a stiff's club where you can get a list of bogus numbers to provide when applying for a loan.
I have had a few of those erroneous calls as well, a couple of the collectors I had to get nasty with when they didn't get the point they were given a wrong number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point