U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 02:49 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,311,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
LOL! I think Deacon Dawg needs to do some research before he spouts off about Greensboro being "Ghettoboro" and making W-S out to be this nice sweet rosy place to live:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

There really isn't much of a difference between the two in regards to crime rate - with Winston-Salem having a bit of a higher crime rate than Greensboro. Violent crimes are almost identical in numbers, with W-S having just a slightly higher number than G'boro. So if anything, the numbers show that Winston-Salem is just as "violent" and effected by criminal activity as Greensboro, NC.

In which, any city in any state in this country is going to have crime - prostitution, murder, the occasional riot, etc.. it comes down to the fact that if you're going to be in a location where criminal activity is at its highest, then you're upping your chances to be involved (as a victim) in that crime. DD ignores the data on criminal activity in W-S, because he's probably smart enough to stay away from high crime areas in W-S. Same goes for high crime areas in Greensboro. They're not immune to it like any other city is not immune to it, but at least they are working to solve the problem. Also, I'll point out that there are plenty of other places for shopping, in much safer places than Four Seasons Mall - although I have never had an issue at that mall personally. I'm just saying. Most of what you can purchase at the mall can probably be purchased elsewhere.
It's pretty obvious DD & wsnc dislike Gboro which is perfectly okay, but I'm in agreement with you as I don't see the benefit of placing a distorted bias on either of the cities.

Last edited by Yac; 08-02-2012 at 06:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 04:03 PM

231 posts, read 610,615 times
I could be wrong, but Deacon Dawg sounds awfully similar to another "Deacon"-something user who used to troll this forum.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:22 PM

The GPD chief was on the news last week saying an error was discovered in the way crime was being reported into the database. I wonder if this is serious enough to actually change the figures.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:18 AM

4,591 posts, read 4,405,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
It's pretty obvious DD & wsnc dislike Gboro which is perfectly okay, but I'm in agreement with you as I don't see the benefit of placing a distorted bias on either of the cities.
There is a lot of hostility towards Greensboro over on the WSTB Winston-Salem forum. In the Greensboro section they post nothing but negative news about Greensboro. In the rest of the forum they boost Winston-Salem like its Boston or New York while taking jabs at Greensboro on the sly, belittling the city and saying its in decline. Personally I think much of the hatred is rooted in jealousy and many over there believe that Greensboro some how stands in Winston-Salem's way in becoming a prosperous urban city. They get upset on that forum when you post anything in a positive light about Greensboro saying its a "Winston-Salem Forum only" but have no problem bringing up Greensboro themselves when they take jabs at the city. Much of it is distorted facts. They selectively post certain things and leave out information to give people the impression that Greensboro is some podunk suburb in decline. They make exaggerations about Winston-Salem and in essence they make Winston-Salem look like Charlotte and Greensboro look like Burlington. In fact both cities are equal in their own ways. They don't realize that the close proximity of both cities benefits the whole area. Without each other there are things that both cities wouldn't have. I just don't get this Greensboro vs Winston-Salem thing. We don't see this in Raleigh/Durham, Greenville/Spartanburg or the Hampton Roads, Va area. Those areas work together which is why we are seeing more jobs go to those regions. They put aside their childish and petty differences and work as one unit to bring economic prosperity to all their cities. If Greensboro and Winston-Salem want to compete with areas like Atlanta and Dallas/Ft Worth, we are going to have to respect each other as a community and work as one unit. We are getting left behind in the dust because of foolishness. Until then we will never be in the same league as Atlanta or Dallas and it doesn't matter if Winston-Salem has the nicer skyline or Greensboro has big fancy hotels and a big coliseum. In the grand scheme of things that means nothing. Companies are not going to move to Winston-Salem because it has a nice skyline. Having a nice skyline doesn't make a city big. I can think of a number of cities smaller than Greensboro and Winston-Salem that have nicer skylines. Take all those elements away and we realize we are not as big as we like to claim to be.

I think Winston-Salem is a great city and is one of my favorite cities in NC, but there is no need for some of its residents to hate on Greensboro. My problem is not with the city of Winston-Salem, but i do have an issue with people who hate for no logical reason because of their own insecurities.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 07-31-2012 at 07:41 AM..

Old 07-31-2012, 08:54 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,233,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I think Winston-Salem is a great city and is one of my favorite cities in NC, but there is no need for some of its residents to hate on Greensboro. My problem is not with the city of Winston-Salem, but i do have an issue with people who hate for no logical reason because of their own insecurities.
Exactly! Both cities have their positives and both have their negatives. If the data is correct, then both are pretty much mirror images of each other in terms of crime. Honestly, as someone who is an "outsider" coming into NC, I would probably be very hesitant in wanting to move to an area where its residents attempt to talk up the city by putting its neighbor down. That tells me they're hiding something - classic bait and switch!

Old 07-31-2012, 09:05 AM

2,648 posts, read 6,088,893 times
Never heard of the WSTB forum, nor have I seen/heard any of this supposedly rampant "Greensboro bashing" from Winston-Salem people. If that forum is the only place it's happening, then it would seem to be a very small number of people who are doing it. From what I gather in over 20 years of living here and interacting with locals, people generally like living in Winston-Salem for its own merits and have no need to put down Greensboro. I just haven't seen this attitude that some are suggesting. I, for one, like Greensboro a lot, and most people I know look at it as just additional amenities and destinations that are available. We Winston people really have no need to point out that Greensboro is an inferior city--it's still a pretty good place.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:29 AM

4,591 posts, read 4,405,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Never heard of the WSTB forum, nor have I seen/heard any of this supposedly rampant "Greensboro bashing" from Winston-Salem people. If that forum is the only place it's happening, then it would seem to be a very small number of people who are doing it. From what I gather in over 20 years of living here and interacting with locals, people generally like living in Winston-Salem for its own merits and have no need to put down Greensboro. I just haven't seen this attitude that some are suggesting. I, for one, like Greensboro a lot, and most people I know look at it as just additional amenities and destinations that are available. We Winston people really have no need to point out that Greensboro is an inferior city--it's still a pretty good place.

If only everyone thought this way. In reality I don't think either city is inferior to the other. The both have distinct qualities that will help the region move forward. Its like parts in a machine. But there are some that like to do the city bashing thing. One person from W-S even told me he hates Greensboro with passion and if he has to travel any where east of the city, he bypasses Greensboro. That takes quite a bit of effort and a lot of added miles because of foolishness like that. When it comes to our city leaders, I think there are genuine efforts to work with each other but at the same time I don't think the two city's completely trust one another. What ever happen to the "Heart of the Triad" concept? it's suppose to be a massive urban/recreational/industrial development to help bring the Triad cities together towards a common goal.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 07-31-2012 at 09:40 AM..

Old 07-31-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
If only everyone thought this way. In reality I don't think either city is inferior to the other. The both have distinct qualities that will help the region move forward. Its like parts in a machine. But there are some that like to do the city bashing thing. One person from W-S even told me he hates Greensboro with passion and if he has to travel any where east of the city, he bypasses Greensboro. That takes quite a bit of effort and a lot of added miles because of foolishness like that. When it comes to our city leaders, I think there are genuine efforts to work with each other but at the same time I don't think the two city's completely trust one another. What ever happen to the "Heart of the Triad" concept? it's suppose to be a massive urban/recreational/industrial development to help bring the Triad cities together towards a common goal.
a) the economy
b) land owners
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point