Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 08:39 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times

Advertisements

For you and OP:

Last year, after a divorce, I moved away from WS, after living there for years...
Please research in depth before you move... or visit for an extended amt of time. IMHO: too small, dull, racially divided, very conservative/rigid...

And nothing to set it apart from any other mid-size city in the US. Of all the beautiful, interesting and exciting places you have to choose from, you opt for this town????

If I had to choose in NC, it would be Asheville or Raleigh/Chapel Hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S6947 View Post
Look at Meetup to see if there are interest groups for activities that you are interested in. There's another thread in this forum comparing W-S to something, and someone in that thread said essentially W-S is a Family town. That I see as something that needs to be investigated further. I'm also a single woman in early 50s and I an not in NC, but I am looking at relocating. Now, I am in a rural area where it's family life or no life. As a single who is not mamma or grandma, I don't want stuck with another bunch of housewives and homemakers and grandmas in the next place I live, because I want friends who have the same child-free lifestyle. I don't want to make another mistake and wind up in another place where there's nothing to do and nobody to do it with.

I'd also take a look at the singles in your age range at Plenty of Fish, Match.com, etc., just to see who is single. And look up the Census data for the counties in the region to see what the % with college degrees is. What I ran into here, when I moved back to my hometown, is that it's all married couples, odd bachelors and/or gay men, and the educational level of the singles here is GED or HS diploma. I have nothing in common with the people here, married or single, and their lifestyles are that women sit at home and only do kids and grandkids and church, and the men all go run around and drink. Married couples don't invite single women anywhere, and the men aren't worth dating.

I'm young and energetic and I want the-go-out-and-do urban professional singles and empty-nesters, and some civic organizations and social organizations to join.So, if somebody says it's "a family place," I'll run screaming, haha! I learned my lesson about "family people" vs. cosmopolitan people. YMMV.

I'm looking to work another 20 years, make money, meet interesting people, have fun. For single friends, I'd want others who have sharp minds and active lifestyles, who are available to do activities and are not still tied down by child-rearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 06:21 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
For you and OP:

Last year, after a divorce, I moved away from WS, after living there for years...
Please research in depth before you move... or visit for an extended amt of time. IMHO: too small, dull, racially divided, very conservative/rigid...

And nothing to set it apart from any other mid-size city in the US. Of all the beautiful, interesting and exciting places you have to choose from, you opt for this town????

If I had to choose in NC, it would be Asheville or Raleigh/Chapel Hill.

Hey, you certainly have a right to your opinions, and I'm glad you (apparently) found a place you like better. But I find several contradictions in your post. First, W-S is too small, so you moved to Charleston, which is roughly half the size of W-S? Huh? And are you suggesting that Charleston is less racially divided than W-S? REALLY?

And I can think of several things that set W-S apart from other similar-sized cities, like Old Salem, the arts culture, the festivals, the superb medical facilities, Tanglewood Park, the nearby wineries, and its proximity to the mountains, just to name a few. Did you ever venture out when you lived here?

Each to his own, I suppose.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:06 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Of course there is always someone who has to complain about a post.

Charleston metro area is around 665,000...and then there is the massive swell of tourists and vacationers that add to the mix.,,bringing people from all over the world, thus adding an exciting feel to the city. It is quite beautiful as well, the city being on a peninsula between 2 rivers, and Charleston Harbor.

Yes, both are racially divided still, this is the south, but IMO, WS is more so.

Yes, I did the things you mentioned...but once you've done them...??? How many times can you go to Old Salem? The arts culture is nice but just limited. (Charleston arts culture is huge all year round...and one reason I chose to move here). Yes, proximity to the mts is good, had a cabin there for 20 yrs but now enjoy the beach.

While I certainly don't need to defend moving to Charleston, I will add this year it was no. 1 on Conde Nast's favorite city in the WORLD, not just US. And it consistently has shown to be an extremely popular vacation destination. History, architecture, over 1000 restaurants in the metro area; plantations, natural beauty, huge performing arts city with international festivals ie Spoleto, beach/water activities etc.

I didn't say WS was horrible... just does not have enough of what I liked/wanted...vacationers venture to exciting places, with a wide variety of activities to offer...WS is not one of those towns.

And OP did NOT want a "family place" read her post...saying she has learned her lesson about family places vs cosmopolitan. WS IS A FAMILY TOWN and sorry, but it is not cosmopolitan.

If you like WS, great.
She asked for comments and I gave my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Hey, you certainly have a right to your opinions, and I'm glad you (apparently) found a place you like better. But I find several contradictions in your post. First, W-S is too small, so you moved to Charleston, which is roughly half the size of W-S? Huh? And are you suggesting that Charleston is less racially divided than W-S? REALLY?

And I can think of several things that set W-S apart from other similar-sized cities, like Old Salem, the arts culture, the festivals, the superb medical facilities, Tanglewood Park, the nearby wineries, and its proximity to the mountains, just to name a few. Did you ever venture out when you lived here?

Each to his own, I suppose.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:44 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times
^ Fair enough. You are indeed entitled to post your opinions here, and I'm glad you did. I was just responding to your statements that appeared to be contradictory--opinions are one thing, but incorrect assumptions/statements are quite another.

Not sure how you define "cosmopolitan", but I'd venture to say that W-S has as much diversity as Charleston, perhaps more. The medical facilities and universities here draw people from all over the world, and I know a number of older single folks who love living here. Sorry you didn't find it to be your cup of tea, but not everyone will have the same opinion. I mainly took exception to your statement that "there's nothing to set it apart". Quite a few people will disagree with that statement.

I do agree that Charleston is a great city, although the heat/humidity and tourist crowds would probably discourage me from living there. Likewise, both Asheville and Raleigh/Chapel Hill are nice, but they have their issues as well. I suppose this all just reinforces the fact that everyone perceives things differently, and I would certainly agree with your advice above that the OP should research and visit as much as possible before making a decision.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:58 PM

28 posts, read 59,717 times
Quote:
And OP did NOT want a "family place" read her post...saying she has learned her lesson about family places vs cosmopolitan. WS IS A FAMILY TOWN and sorry, but it is not cosmopolitan.
^Actually, that wasn't the OP. It was me, LOL! Thanks for the info. I found that as a single, moving to a very small town with the nearest large cities at least 1hr Interstate drive away, there's just no quality of life whatsoever. It's like you're ostracized. There's no active singles group, either, so I don't have anyone to hang out with. The last singles event was August; 95 people said they'd come, and only about 30 showed up, and it was mostly widows over age 65.

I need to move to an area that had more to offer me. I just wanted to warn the OP that she should look at the social structure and see if it offers her enough fun and companionship. I know I don't get that where I live. I feel absolutely entombed here. (I'm not living in NC)

Old 07-11-2013, 07:12 PM

5 posts, read 7,708 times
I'm also thinking of moving to NC from CT once my youngest graduates HS in 4 years. I'm divorced and would like to meet some fun single people my age 50-60 range. I like a college-town type vibe (educated, artsy, fun), near either lakes or w/in 20 min. of the ocean, medium to small town but within 45 min. to a city, and low crime. So yah, I know this is a super-tall order, but if anyone knows places that hit SOME of these things, that's a start! Thanks!

Old 07-12-2013, 06:21 AM

152 posts, read 247,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowtexan View Post
This is my first post ever on city-data although I've been an active forum reader for years. I'm looking for opinions from Winston-Salem residents concerning my possible move to the area. I am a native Texan and while I have lived elsewhere and currently travel a great deal because of my job, i have lived either in Dallas or Houston the last 25 years.

I am thinking about moving for several reasons. One is the increasing heat in Texas. As a native, I am used to it but it keeps getting worse every year. I know it gets hot in NC--it is the South, after all, but it's not as severe as Texas nor as long. I've been visiting the Triad, Triangle and Charlotte several times a year for the past 7 years for business so I am pretty familiar with the climate and what the area looks like.

What I'd like an opnion on is how welcoming is WS to a single woman in her late fifties. I like the area for the size, its focus on the arts, and history, it's proximity to the mts and a close relative who lives in the Asheville area. My job allows me to move to WS so that isn't an issue I have to consider. I would hope to make new friends both male and female and while I realize it's up to me to make that happen, I just wondered if WS is a particularly friendly or unfriendly place for people my age new to the area who wouldn't know a soul.

If I do end up moving, there's a good chance my sister and her husband would join me when they retire but that's a number of years away and I guess I do worry about moving to a new place without knowing anyone. It's probably the biggest thing holding me back. That and it would be a change in culture to some degree. Texas is different, there's no doubt about it. Not better than NC by any means-just different--and I hope I'm not too old to adjust. I've always been pretty adventurous and used to move without a thought but this would definitely be a big change. A good one I think but something not to do without a lot of consideration.

Anyway, thank you for any comments you might have.
TRY CHATTANOOGA, TN. COMES IN #2. Lowest cost of living. Gorgeous downtown along river and plenty outdoor activities and men! It's booming. VW plant, Amazon and other businesses coming in.
Hour from Knoxville and 2 hours from Nashville. Good luck!!

Old 07-12-2013, 06:24 AM

152 posts, read 247,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6947 View Post
^Actually, that wasn't the OP. It was me, LOL! Thanks for the info. I found that as a single, moving to a very small town with the nearest large cities at least 1hr Interstate drive away, there's just no quality of life whatsoever. It's like you're ostracized. There's no active singles group, either, so I don't have anyone to hang out with. The last singles event was August; 95 people said they'd come, and only about 30 showed up, and it was mostly widows over age 65.

I need to move to an area that had more to offer me. I just wanted to warn the OP that she should look at the social structure and see if it offers her enough fun and companionship. I know I don't get that where I live. I feel absolutely entombed here. (I'm not living in NC)
CHATTANOOGA, TN. Trust you'll love it! Ages: 30's-60's and very active community!

Old 01-24-2015, 05:01 PM

42 posts, read 104,228 times
Mellowtexan: I am a single woman 72 years old, will be 73 by the time I move. I'm hoping for Winston-Salem. For myself, I am pretty independent and know how to be happy with or without other people. By this time in your life, you have learned what kind of people you want in your life and those that you do not. There is no magic here. It's just life. There are some good suggestions from others here, one being MeetUp. Check it out. We have it here where I live now (Syracuse, NY) and there are many groups to pick from to join and be social. For me, tho, I want to explore the area and I know I do that best by myself. When you get to WS you will be the same person you were in TX. Then it's up to you to carve out your life as you want it.
Good luck to you. I hope some of this helps.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:42 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB41542 View Post
Mellowtexan: I am a single woman 72 years old, will be 73 by the time I move. I'm hoping for Winston-Salem. For myself, I am pretty independent and know how to be happy with or without other people. By this time in your life, you have learned what kind of people you want in your life and those that you do not. There is no magic here. It's just life. There are some good suggestions from others here, one being MeetUp. Check it out. We have it here where I live now (Syracuse, NY) and there are many groups to pick from to join and be social. For me, tho, I want to explore the area and I know I do that best by myself. When you get to WS you will be the same person you were in TX. Then it's up to you to carve out your life as you want it.
Good luck to you. I hope some of this helps.
Note that the post you're talking to is from a couple of years ago. She may have moved somewhere by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point