Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,656 times

Advertisements

This is my first post ever on city-data although I've been an active forum reader for years. I'm looking for opinions from Winston-Salem residents concerning my possible move to the area. I am a native Texan and while I have lived elsewhere and currently travel a great deal because of my job, i have lived either in Dallas or Houston the last 25 years.

I am thinking about moving for several reasons. One is the increasing heat in Texas. As a native, I am used to it but it keeps getting worse every year. I know it gets hot in NC--it is the South, after all, but it's not as severe as Texas nor as long. I've been visiting the Triad, Triangle and Charlotte several times a year for the past 7 years for business so I am pretty familiar with the climate and what the area looks like.

What I'd like an opnion on is how welcoming is WS to a single woman in her late fifties. I like the area for the size, its focus on the arts, and history, it's proximity to the mts and a close relative who lives in the Asheville area. My job allows me to move to WS so that isn't an issue I have to consider. I would hope to make new friends both male and female and while I realize it's up to me to make that happen, I just wondered if WS is a particularly friendly or unfriendly place for people my age new to the area who wouldn't know a soul.

If I do end up moving, there's a good chance my sister and her husband would join me when they retire but that's a number of years away and I guess I do worry about moving to a new place without knowing anyone. It's probably the biggest thing holding me back. That and it would be a change in culture to some degree. Texas is different, there's no doubt about it. Not better than NC by any means-just different--and I hope I'm not too old to adjust. I've always been pretty adventurous and used to move without a thought but this would definitely be a big change. A good one I think but something not to do without a lot of consideration.

Anyway, thank you for any comments you might have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 05:28 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowtexan View Post
What I'd like an opinion on is how welcoming is WS to a single woman in her late fifties.
I'd say that depends entirely on how many late 50ish married men cross your path.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:10 AM

23 posts, read 40,904 times
Go with the Traingle. trust me. Raleigh/Cary or maybe Chapel Hill.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:34 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesWorld9999 View Post
Go with the Traingle. trust me. Raleigh/Cary or maybe Chapel Hill.
Yeah, especially if you like traffic snarls, and lots of transplants from up north (not that there's anything wrong with those people, but just so you know what you may be getting into...).

Old 08-14-2012, 06:01 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
I have usually found that people are friendly anywhere as long as I am friendly to them, and Winston-Salem is no exception. If you're outgoing and open to meeting new people then I'm sure you will make friends no matter where you decide to live.

Winston-Salem is a beautiful city with a lot to offer, as I'm sure you've already discovered. Good luck with your decision.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:13 AM

23 posts, read 40,904 times
Traffic is getting better in the Triangle. I laugh when people mention the traffic in the Triangle. (and who cares if someone is from up North. Thats such a tired argument.)

Old 08-15-2012, 07:22 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesWorld9999 View Post
Traffic is getting better in the Triangle. I laugh when people mention the traffic in the Triangle. (and who cares if someone is from up North. Thats such a tired argument.)

Haha. Actually I've got nothing against the Triangle. I used to live there (many years ago), and I enjoy visiting there. It's a nice area to live. But the OP asked about Winston-Salem, so why did you feel the need to pee on this thread (in addition to several others)?

Old 10-11-2012, 07:40 AM

7 posts, read 15,810 times
Default Mellowtexan

I am also in my 50's and looking to relocate from Texas to the north. I am also a native Texan who is tired of the hot, dry and humid weather. Right now I live east of Austin. I have been looking at Asheville and I also like the Greensboro area.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:32 PM

28 posts, read 59,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I'd say that depends entirely on how many late 50ish married men cross your path.
Exactly what is that supposed to mean? I call that answer rude, insulting, and passive-aggressive. It certainly wasn't meant to be informative, supportive, or helpful. I am more than a little sick and tired of men who sit behind computers all day and take potshots at women that they don't feel are meeting their standard for attractiveness. If you don't have anything nice to say, keep your comments to yourself.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:08 AM

28 posts, read 59,646 times
Look at Meetup to see if there are interest groups for activities that you are interested in. There's another thread in this forum comparing W-S to something, and someone in that thread said essentially W-S is a Family town. That I see as something that needs to be investigated further. I'm also a single woman in early 50s and I an not in NC, but I am looking at relocating. Now, I am in a rural area where it's family life or no life. As a single who is not mamma or grandma, I don't want stuck with another bunch of housewives and homemakers and grandmas in the next place I live, because I want friends who have the same child-free lifestyle. I don't want to make another mistake and wind up in another place where there's nothing to do and nobody to do it with.

I'd also take a look at the singles in your age range at Plenty of Fish, Match.com, etc., just to see who is single. And look up the Census data for the counties in the region to see what the % with college degrees is. What I ran into here, when I moved back to my hometown, is that it's all married couples, odd bachelors and/or gay men, and the educational level of the singles here is GED or HS diploma. I have nothing in common with the people here, married or single, and their lifestyles are that women sit at home and only do kids and grandkids and church, and the men all go run around and drink. Married couples don't invite single women anywhere, and the men aren't worth dating.

I'm young and energetic and I want the-go-out-and-do urban professional singles and empty-nesters, and some civic organizations and social organizations to join.So, if somebody says it's "a family place," I'll run screaming, haha! I learned my lesson about "family people" vs. cosmopolitan people. YMMV.

I'm looking to work another 20 years, make money, meet interesting people, have fun. For single friends, I'd want others who have sharp minds and active lifestyles, who are available to do activities and are not still tied down by child-rearing.

Last edited by S6947; 11-17-2012 at 07:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point