U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 10:50 PM

1,261 posts, read 3,895,626 times

Advertisements

Yes, I would say that people here in Greensboro are friendly and open to outsiders. The "good ol' boys" tend to live in the country. Not that there aren't any in the city and not that "good ol' boys" wouldn't be just as friendly to you as more sophisticated types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2006, 11:08 PM

463 posts, read 1,518,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki View Post
Yes, I would say that people here in Greensboro are friendly and open to outsiders. The "good ol' boys" tend to live in the country. Not that there aren't any in the city and not that "good ol' boys" wouldn't be just as friendly to you as more sophisticated types.
Well, for all of Greensboro's professed " diversity," and "enlightment," my husband, who is a native northern Virginian, says that he has never heard the "N" word as much or heard so much outright racism expressed in his entire life as he has in and around GSO. I haven't seen ExJerseysite post since someone basically told her that racism doesn't exist in GSO and in essence, she was ridiculous for saying what she did.

Exjerseyite.. for what it's worth... you were NOT wrong.

Niki, we live in the country, among the so called "good old boys" and that isn't where we are hearing the racism. I don't much take kindly to that "good ol' boys" stereotype either. Some of them are neighbors and friends of ours and they are *not* racist. Let's steer clear of the hackneyed cliches and stereotypes- regardless of color. One is no better than the other as far as I'm concerned.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 09-27-2006 at 12:20 AM..

Old 09-27-2006, 12:47 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,668,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by konakor View Post
What about the community? Are the people there friendly and open to outsiders? I don't mean to offend anyone, but is it all good ol' boys with gunracks in trucks?
I don't consider you question offensive, but I do find it amusing. I haven't seen a gun rack equipped pick-em-truck with an actual rifle or shotgun in over 30 years. I have seen lots of fishing rods and reels though.

In my opinion, native-born Southerners are friendly to strangers until you give them a reason not to be such as ridiculing their southern heritage, local customs or way of life. I'd also avoid conversations dealing with politics and religion until they get a chance to know you well. Until then, they don't always know when you're kidding or not. When in doubt, they will take your comments literally.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:39 AM

9 posts, read 81,461 times
Thank you for your replies and honesty. I have met some gracious and kind people visiting the Islands from NC and Virginia. People are people, and I choose to look at the positive side in them. I do apologize if I have offended anyone with my question, I did ask out of ignorance. Aloha

Old 09-27-2006, 02:57 PM

I wasn't offended, Konakor. Being someone outside of NC and outside of the South, you only have what you've heard from others or seen on TV and in movies to go by, I assume. The stereotypes and extremes apparently make for more interesting entertainment.

There are friendly folks and not-so-friendly folks here, but it's been my experience that there are more people here that are nice than those who aren't.

Old 09-27-2006, 06:42 PM

1,418 posts, read 6,382,556 times
My inlaws live in the Greensboro area. Though it gets some snow, it's a very nice 4-season climate (which I prefer). Good luck on your move!!!

Old 10-11-2006, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 4,697 times
Default I walked in your footsteps....

My family and I just relocated from Phoenix, AZ to the Greensboro area. We actually live in Kernersville which seems to be the best place to live. The people are great and the Climate seems non extreme. The reason I post is to make sure you know that there are actually normal people living over here. Everyone warned me about the southern type of people and that I shoud heed caution, but everyone drives around in normal cars, wear normal clothes, shops at walmart, goes to the mall, and eats out. It is almost like the rest of the United States believes that they moved on but that the south stayed put. Not the case at all. I love this state and have decided that I am staying put. Good Luck!!!

Old 10-11-2006, 08:57 PM

9 posts, read 81,461 times
Mahalo AZ to NC - just what I needed to hear.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ to NC View Post
Everyone warned me about the southern type of people and that I shoud heed caution, but everyone drives around in normal cars, wear normal clothes, shops at walmart, goes to the mall, and eats out. It is almost like the rest of the United States believes that they moved on but that the south stayed put. Not the case at all. I love this state and have decided that I am staying put. Good Luck!!!
We're still "Southern types" though. lol Just because we have modern things doesn't mean we're not Southern.

I hope you know I'm just giving you a hard time. (As in, just pickin' with ya.)

I'm glad you're enjoying life in the Triad.

Old 10-15-2006, 03:26 PM

7 posts, read 16,295 times
Default we are living in suburb og Greensboro

Hi there,

Climate is awesome. Only had 3-4 inches of snow last year. Can get pretty hot in the summer but love the seasons. We may be relocating to TX if you're interested in a great home in a great neighborhood with great schools.

Best of Luck,

Carma
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point