U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 01:23 AM

3 posts, read 3,375 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are in our mid-twenties and have both had offers to work in North Carolina. We were both born in England and have lived there our whole lives. We are currently based in Oxford and are both lucky to have fairly successful professional careers.

The separate companies we work for have given us both the opportunity for positions in NC - coincidence weirdly...

My job would be based in Greensboro, the lady's would be in Burlington. We are both at the early stages of seeing if the move would be a good one for us. Does any one have any thoughts about moving to NC?

Would you recommend it?

Does anyone have similar experiences?

Look forward to your thoughts.

All the best.

F
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 07:49 AM

20 posts, read 48,566 times
Hello,

I'm certainly no expert at NC or the Triad Area--my husband and I are about to relocate soon there ourselves. I've been lurking this thread for quite some time, and overall between that and talking to friends who have either lived there before or passed through, we are very positive about our move there. We will be in Greensboro, and from what I've been repeatedly told, it is nice for families and has a good share of friendly people. The home market is affordable (and I was raised in an area where the possibility of ever owning a home was pretty non-existent) and I'm VERY much excited to learn that one weekend a person can hit up the mountains and the next head to the beach, the Triad area is located beautifully between the two.

To be quite frank, I never thought of NC before now...knew it was part of the US, naturally---but with my husband's career, it looked like we would be other places than NC and so while I never had anything against it, I never looked into it before because there wasn't any need...now that we are headed there, I'm really looking forward to this move---& I can't say that about other places my husbands career has taken us in the past

I hope some locals will post for you too--I just saw your post and thought I'd add my humble $0.02 and wish you and yours the very best I think we're all going to do great moving to NC!

Old 08-04-2012, 09:36 AM

28,487 posts, read 62,101,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmcowen View Post
My girlfriend and I are in our mid-twenties and have both had offers to work in North Carolina.
My job would be based in Greensboro, the lady's would be in Burlington.

Does any one have any thoughts about moving to NC? Would you recommend it?
In the context of an opportunity for a young couple with no commitments...
to have a solid base of economic security literally dropped into their laps that will allow them to
explore a new country and have some great experiences... who could ask for more?

You could ask for *different* certainly... like a large city with that sort social and cultural opportunities
and a social scene geared more toward mid-twenties singles or a location better suited to broader exploration
of the continent... but all of that is a another discussion and unless there was another comparable
opportunity that would take you to DC or Manhattan or Los Angeles its all rather moot.

hth

Old 08-04-2012, 02:27 PM

2,647 posts, read 6,083,157 times
Come on over! The Triad area is a great place to live, regardless of your age. Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem offer a lot, and if it's not enough you're only an hour or so from both Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill (the Triangle) and Charlotte so it's an easy drive to take advantage of what they offer. As Redlion says, the proximity to the mountains and the coast offer a world of vacation opportunities. It's also a rather progressive area compared to more rural parts of the state.

I think you'll love it here.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:21 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,478,336 times
Greensboro is in my mind one of the most "balanced" mid-sized cities in NC for a relocator. It is big enough to have a variety of entertainment and shopping, is not too expensive to live, has a reasonablely large intellectual population from the various universities there. But it's not exactly "touristy" or "metropolitan". You will need to get American drivers licenses and an automobiles to make the most of living there, however.

Burlington is about 1/3 the size of Greensboro. It's not as interesting a place, but if you could choose to live on the west side of Burlington so that you each have a short drive to work.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:17 PM

Hey guys,

Thank you so much for the responses.

My girlfriend and I are both aware of the opportunities and the fortunate position we are in. We are having issues with visas at the moment but hopefully with a little more support from our prospective companies, we can confirm the finer details and make our move soon.

If it is to go ahead we have to start making some decision about where we should live. Would anyone like to recommend some areas in the triad we should check out when/if we fly over on our scout mission??

Thanks guys, forgive the delay in getting back to you so late.

All the best.

Fred.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:37 PM

28,487 posts, read 62,101,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmcowen View Post
If it is to go ahead we have to start making some decision about where we should live.
As close to a downtown as you can find... either Winston-Salem or Greensboro.

Quote:
Would anyone like to recommend some areas in the triad we should check out...
http://www.cityofthearts.com/events.php
Winston Salem, NC Events Guide - Arts, Dining, Entertainment and Community Calendar in Winston Salem, Piedmont Triad, NC
Blue Ridge Parkway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rent a car and drive around BEYOND the built up areas into the countryside and mountains.
These are the real reason to live here.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:44 PM

Cheers MrRational,

It looks superb. I am so excited.

Thank you.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:54 AM

23 posts, read 34,662 times
I lived in Raleigh (the "Triangle") for 8 years until recently, visited friends in Greensboro (the "Triad") and such. Now I live in Antwerp, Belgium (wifes family here).

PLEASE do not make ANY major moving decision until you have actually spent at least a week in Greensboro/Burlington. Yes, Greensboro is a bit of a "college city" but it has some downsides and is pretty small. It has not been a magnet for middle-class non-Southern transferees the way the Triangle and Charlotte have (trust me). Burlington specifically is traditionally a blue-collar town without much attraction, with tons of ugly billboards along its main motorway. (Much less of a problem in the Triangle, thank god.) Also, in the Triangle we have a lot more pine tree forests, so its "greener" for much of the year (pine needles don't fall off in the Autumn)

Maybe I have a European mindset (though I'm a Yank), but I really think that that the Triangle (not the Triad or Charlotte), is the best part of NC when looking at all the factors (major universities, plenty of creative types, growth, etc). Many will disagree on here, but I have spent plenty of time visiting people all over NC and demographics/urban planning is a hobby.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:47 AM

84 posts, read 191,196 times
I'd have to agree the Triangle is better, but neither place is bad. Greensboro is a bit cheaper. If you think you'd be flying back to England on a semi-regular basis, it would be cheaper to fly out of Raleigh instead of Greensboro by a bit, though both should be doable.

If you're going to have a Greensboro/Burlington work life, look for places around I-40.

Despite the drubbing this state has taken in the press, things are reasonably progressive here- we're not stuck in the Stone Age, though there are parts of the State that are, such parts are usually way out of the way. I wouldn't worry too much about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point