U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 06:53 PM

7 posts, read 15,516 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post. I am a 25 year old woman who is thinking of moving to Greensboro. I have lived a few different places in my life including Minnesota, Vermont, and Chicago. I have been to visit a lot of places all over the USA. Overall I LOVE the mid-west, people here are MUCH friendlier then what I found on the east coast, they smile, you can start a conversation with just about anyone. That being said I want to try living in a few more places (I just really love seeing different areas, getting to know them etc). I'm also looking into going to grad school there.

I'm wondering what peoples experiences with moving to NC (Greensboro in particular) have been. Some particulars: 1) Are people friendly, closed off, etc? 2) How do they treat people who are not from the are? 3) Crime. Did you find it very safe, safe, not safe? 4) Variety of restaurants. I love all kinds of food Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Italian, American etc. 5) Politically what was it like? I hold some conservative and liberal view so I probably would not do well in a place that was extremely one way or the other. 6) What was the overall standard of living like. Average home price/rent, gas, water, cost etc?

EDIT: A few important things I forgot 1) Are there are a lot of museums in the are? 2) Jobs. How hard is it to find one there.
Thanks for your help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 08:09 AM

273 posts, read 850,323 times
A good place to try and get a feel for the place is looking back through this forum, a lot of the same questions/answers have been posed in the past few years, but I'll give it a shot....

I grew up in Ohio and have moved around a bit, so I can understand your basis for the question somewhat. You won't have any problems. Most of the time, it's not so much about the area, but yourself, and if you act a certain way, most of the time people will respond similarly. (but you are right about the northeast/coast We moved to Winston-Salem in our mid-twenties looking to settle down and slow down a little bit. This is a great place for that. I feel WS is a bit more relaxed than Greensboro, just a perception, but WS just feels more like a hometown than a city and Greensboro seems to be a little more busy. Not to bring up that topic again, it's just how we like it and perceive it.
So as a young, I'm assuming single person, you will more than likely enjoy GSO over WS due to activities to do, however, it will in no way compare to Chicago.

1)...Again, goes to your personality and how you approach it, but it is the south, and I find people much more friendly and approachable than other places.

2)...They're getting over it, lol. You'll occasionally get the Damn Yankee, in a teasing taunt, but if you're sticking to the city, you will have no issues, as it's a fairly diverse crowd here.

3)...Depends on where you're at. Near colleges, tend to have higher petty crimes, but there are certainly places to try and stay away from. Do I feel unsafe here, absolutely not.

4)...You'll have to do your own digging, but I find the restaurant selection to be good. You have all of your chains, your top notch chefs with boutique restaurants and then some great mom-and-pop places too.

5)...Both WS/GSO hold relatively firm conservative views, but with both having universities and large art scenes, the liberal view is not uncommon. The gay marriage ban amendment brought out both sides and while it did pass, I seems that the social issues are moving to the middle vs one way or the other.

6)...The Cost of living here I would say is average. Most of your apartments are going to be all electric and the rates here are not crazy, and relatively low compared to elsewhere I've lived. The rest depends on where you want to live.

1a)...Several museums in GSO, nothing like the Field Museum in Chicago or Museum of Natural History in DC, but the one in downtown GSO is pretty good. There is also a Nature and Science Museum in GSO, which we honestly only go to for the animal exhibits. The Civil Rights Museum downtown at the site of the Woolworth Lunch Sit-ins I've heard is very good. With other places I'm sure I'm missing as well.

2a)...Jobs, depends. What's your experience and what do you want to do. Unemployment is still high in the state, so that does need to factored. However, if you're in grad school, you may have other opportunities within the school, even TA if it's available.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:32 PM

Thank you so much for you post!

I'm trying to plan a trip there to get a better feel for the area/people. I have a good feeling about it.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:06 AM

23 posts, read 34,651 times
Trust me. You will be much happier in Raleigh/Cary or Chapel Hill (the Triangle) than G'boro. Its really not what you want. I lived in Raleigh 8 yrs until recently, loved it. Its not a huge singles scene, but its enough. Greensboro is a bit of a college city, but its also got social issues and really hasn;t attracted outsiders enough.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:43 PM

I have thought about other areas but the grad program I want is in Greensboro. I keep hearing great things about NC and mixed reviews about G'boro. What kind of social issues did you find there?

Old 08-17-2012, 08:07 AM

5,753 posts, read 4,225,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingGnosis View Post
I have thought about other areas but the grad program I want is in Greensboro. I keep hearing great things about NC and mixed reviews about G'boro. What kind of social issues did you find there?
I haven't found G'boro to have any more "social issues" than any other city. Yes, the city does have gangs and crime, but you're going to find that most anywhere. As long as you know which streets are safe and which are sketchy (again, just like any other city) you should be just fine. I'm a transplant from Virginia. I've found Greensboro people to be really nice so far.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:49 AM

2,647 posts, read 6,081,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesWorld9999 View Post
Trust me. You will be much happier in Raleigh/Cary or Chapel Hill (the Triangle) than G'boro. Its really not what you want. I lived in Raleigh 8 yrs until recently, loved it. Its not a huge singles scene, but its enough. Greensboro is a bit of a college city, but its also got social issues and really hasn;t attracted outsiders enough.

Trust me, I don't think you know what you're talking about. Funny you seem to know what the OP wants when she said very little about what she wants. Nothing against the Triangle, but there are lots of reasons one might choose Greensboro over the Triangle.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:53 PM

Well, I currently live in Chicago so I'm used to living in a place where there are areas you just have to avoid.

If I wasn't clear enough in my first post, this is what I am look for: A city, not huge (like Chicago, NYC, Boston etc), where the people are friendly, there are a variety of restaurants and museums, I'm not on going to clubs/drinking a lot so ideal a quieter place where there are still things to do, and politically moderate.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:17 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,920,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingGnosis View Post
Well, I currently live in Chicago so I'm used to living in a place where there are areas you just have to avoid.

If I wasn't clear enough in my first post, this is what I am look for: A city, not huge (like Chicago, NYC, Boston etc), where the people are friendly, there are a variety of restaurants and museums, I'm not on going to clubs/drinking a lot so ideal a quieter place where there are still things to do, and politically moderate.
It sounds like you would be happy in Greensboro then...there are plenty of things to keep you busy there, plus you have another same-sized city 20 minutes away (Winston-Salem) and still another smaller city 15 minutes away (High Point). In total, the Triad has a population of 1.5 million but with 3 distinct cities with their own personalities.

6 museums listed for GSO: Greensboro Museums
10 museums listed for W-S: Winston Salem Museums
4 museums listed for HP: High Point, North Carolina Museum Directory

There is nice variety in the area restaurants, but not a huge quantity of better ones outside of the national chains. But there are enough to keep most people satisfied. People are generally friendly here, but (as I'm sure you know) you can always run into the not-so-friendly as well. The Triad is a big area for the Quaker Church (also called "Friends Meetings") and Winston-Salem in particular is a headquarters city for the Moravian Church. Both of these religions are known for their more progressive attitudes.

If I were you I would read up a little on each city...it will give you a better snapshot of the area as a whole.
High Point, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Greensboro, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Winston
Piedmont Triad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, don't overlook some of the smaller cities in the Triad...Kernersville, Clemmons, Burlington, Asheboro, Mount Airy, Lewisville, Lexington, etc. They are mostly suburban towns, but several of them are larger with nice downtown areas and all are in close proximity to the larger Triad cities.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:38 PM

Thanks Joe!

Could anyone tell me what areas I should avoid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point