U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 06:32 AM

3 posts, read 3,872 times

Advertisements

Hi we are relocating to Winston Salem area . My husband is working in WS and I'm looking for an area to live within a 20 mile raduis . We have 3 children one in elementary , one in middle school and another staring High School . We need to get there ASAP as I'm concerned with my daughter staring high school might miss out if we leave it to late . Can any recommend a good High school and area to live .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 06:49 AM

28,556 posts, read 62,318,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie0427 View Post
My husband is working in WS and I'm looking for an area to live within a 20 mile raduis .
Would a two mile radius do just as well?

Quote:
We have 3 children one in elementary , one in middle school and another staring High School .
Like every other RE related decision... your budget is the single largest variable.

Forsyth County - North Carolina Zip Code Boundary Map (NC)
City of Winston-Salem, NC :: City Council
Two local high schools place in national Newsweek ranking | JournalNow.com

http://www.wsfcs.k12.nc.us/mths
http://www.forsyth.k12.ga.us/Domain/2060

That should get you started.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:13 AM

Thank you for those links . My budget is around $800,000.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:06 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,940,680 times
West Forsyth is one of the best high schools in the area...although there are other great schools in Forsyth County as well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Fo...North_Carolina)

Quote:
West Forsyth consistently scores well on standardized tests, often leading the county in SAT scores. In 2007, West Forsyth was ranked 356th in the Newsweek Top 1000 Best Schools in America. For the 2009-2010 school year, West Forsyth was the highest scoring high school in the county. West Forsyth was also one of 13 high schools in the state of North Carolina in 2009 to receive the distinction of Honor School of Excellence due to very high achievement on standardized tests.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:23 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,110,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie0427 View Post
Thank you for those links . My budget is around $800,000.
Wow. That's going to buy a LOT of house in the Triad.

We moved to northeast Davidson County for a variety of reasons, good schools being one of them. But the Meadowlands subdivision (about $300k-$500k), where we live, would be slumming it for you. lol

Old 08-14-2012, 06:33 PM

2,655 posts, read 6,097,334 times
Agreed, West Forsyth is very good. Mt. Tabor, Reagan, and Reynolds are also very good. Also, Forsyth County has the Career Center, a centralized campus that draws students from all county high schools. One big advantage of the Career Center is that it offers a wealth of advanced placement classes that a single high school would not be able to offer on its own. My kids (West grads) went to college with a lot of credits already under their belts (my son had 30 hours!). Not only does it provide a great education, but it also will save lots of money as they can finish college early. Another benefit is that it matters less which high school you choose if your kid is a high performer--they'll likely take many classes at the Career Center. Most all high schools do offer more popular AP classes on campus, but the CC offers AP subjects like Chinese, music theory, psychology, and many others that usually aren't offered at regular high schools. Kids usually split their day, with part of their classes at their home school and part at the CC.

The CC also offers technical curricula such as health science, automotive, construction, and many others for kids who may not be college bound. It's really a great resource--we're lucky to have it.

Regarding where to live, there are plenty of earlier threads covering that (use the search function). There are great neighborhoods both in W-S and in the surrounding communities. In general, the west/southwest to northwest sides of the town and county are considered more desirable, but that's a gross generalization. There are many other areas that are very good too.

So search the forum a bit, and if you have questions for which you can't find answers, feel free to ask.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:29 PM

Thank you the information was really helpful.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:06 PM

14 posts, read 62,838 times
Any suggestions as to areas to STAY AWAY from? We called a realtor and she told us that by LAW they(as well as rental agencies) are not allowed to tell you which areas are "good" vs "bad". I was also told that there are some schools that are VERY GOOD but are in areas that are not so safe. I am really confused and NEED to find a place asap as I am looking to rent out my home here. I need to get a good grip on what my rent is going to be there so I can charge accordingly to help offset the cost of living difference.

thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point