U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 08:14 AM

699 posts, read 2,341,276 times

Advertisements

Lewisville and Clemmons are both incorporated and not available for annexation by Winston-Salem. I grew up in Clemmons and went to West Forsyth in the 80's. Although it has grown tremendously since then, my parents still live there and it is a very nice place to raise a family. I would call it an upper middle class community with higher than average incomes, highly rated schools, and overall friendly people including many northern transplants. There is a large Catholic Church in Clemmons that my girlfriend at the time attended (a transplant from Buffalo). Clemmons is almost 90% white, but in my experience there it isn't rampant racism. There are lots of restaurants and shopping in and around Clemmons, and lots of great subdivisions to choose from with great suburban houses and big lawns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2007, 09:39 PM

26 posts, read 87,112 times
Default Hill Billy Hideaway

These areas would be good for your children-Belews lake is kind of in between- Hill Billy Hide A Way is a resturant you have to try...there is actually a resturant in Greensboro called Ol' Hole in the Wall-
North of Greensboro you have the smaller communites of Oakridge,
Summerfield, Stokesdale, and then Rockingham county communities
these are smaller, more country settings-you'll find good country cookin' along the way and traffic into Winston is not nearly a bad coming in from that end- lots of for sale signs in the area and prices a good deal lower
but the area is developing so that you have convenience and country all in one pot
Then you hit the Virginia line, Close enough to drive to work to Greensboro or Winston and then go home to the peace of country living
South of Greensboro you have the smaller communities of Pleasant Garden, Level Cross (Home of Richard Petty) Randleman, Ramseur, Franklinville, Climax
again smaller country areas close enough to the big cities where you can have the best of both worlds- a bit further drive to Winston

Old 01-23-2007, 04:52 PM

41 posts, read 182,397 times
Default Some good areas North and East of Winston

If you are looking for some good alternatives to those already proposed, try --

Kernersville - numerous developments (old and new). The newer developments have large house, smaller lots. Easy access to Winston, Greensboro and High Point. Tight community feel with family values. Good level retail area (Wal-Mart, Staples, Koles (? -spelling), Lowes Hardware, Target) with higher end retail easy drive in Winston or Greensboro.

Walkertown/Belews Creek - country setting about 7 miles from Kernersville and Winston-Salem. Growing area with new developments ranging from 150s to 400s. Number of houses for sell in and around Belews Creek with large traces of land. Noticed new developments for Townhomes and houses on Belews Lake with private docks.

King - North of Winston-Salem with heavy growth. I only mention it as an alternative area where you can find large tracks of land to build a house on - or - saw some large parcels for sell with houses. I do not recommend it highly due to Interstate 52 (main feed from King to Winston) becomes a parking lot with morning and evening traffic. But, you might be used to worse traffic than I.

Mt. Airy - might be a little too far north for you but between it and King are some really charming farms and scenic land. Pilot Mountain is one that comes to mind with scenic views that can take your breath away.

Hope that helps. If you need any additional information or further details on the above, please let me know.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:14 PM

75 posts, read 356,872 times
King is, well, like King has been for the last 50 years. The pace is slow, the shops are few and the people like it that way. It is the only one I can think of of the ones you mentioned that hasn't changed much at all.

Hospitals: Forsyth and Baptist are the two large ones in Forsyth county. The King area wanted one, but was turned down. Both hosptials are always experiencing growth. The last time I went to the Forsyth Hosptial ER with a family member, the wait for a room was between 2 and 12 hours. They have since expanded and moved the ER, and are still building. Only Baptist takes children into their ER, but for labor and delivery Forsyth is the only one that has that service. They recently updated those facilities, as well.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,614 times
Default My wife and I are moving with our 4 girls to Walkertown

We are moving to Walkertown and We have been down there only once. We really liked it and found a great home for the money. We are originally from CA. My wife is a nanny and i wanted to find out if anyone knows any sites to check for people who need a nanny. She would love to watch kids in her own home. I am going to teach in Greensboro and wanted to know how the travel time is at 7am. If you have any fun things you know of to do with a family please give me those to. Thanks and God Bless

Old 06-01-2007, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,496 times
Smile More Info Please

Cassie,

I have been able to read much of what you posted and you seem to be a Lewisville/Clemmons genius! My family and I are planning to relocate (potentially) to the Clemmons/Lewisville area. We have heard that neither town has their own law enforcement (i.e. police force). Is this true and if so what do the towns rely on for "law enforcement"? Is this because of a low crime rate or the fact that these two towns are still in their infancy of development? And are there any areas in these two towns that you would avoid?

Also, are you aware or could you suggest some areas or builders that have new developments currently in progress? Any other information you can can provided additional to what I've asked is very much appreciated! Thanks so much!

Harry

Old 06-01-2007, 03:08 PM

107 posts, read 89,523 times
ahh my ole stomping grounds.... Clemmons or Davie are great! I am biased I guess... however as far as amenities are concerned they are everywhere... Tanglewood is where I used to ride my bike in the summer and that was excellent. Re: hole in the wall restaurants, they have them everywhere... I laugh because things like that in Charlotte command long lines of folk. Charlotte like to tear down anything historical or meaningful, unlike Winston.
I am envious, but of course you have little richards barbeque and however many other 1000s of places. I should get you in touch with my dad! LOL

Homesick,
Lester Morris

Old 06-03-2007, 10:52 PM

22 posts, read 78,801 times
Hello Harry...no Clemmons & Lewisville do not have there own law enforcement. However both areas are patrolled by the Forsyth County Sheriff's Dept. And part of the reason is the low crime rate. There are few if any areas that you would need to avoid. I can't think of any and I've been in Clemmons for 8 years. It's a great place. We love it!

As far as builders & developments, what price range are you looking for?

BTW, do you kids, and if so what ages? We have kids in 4 different schools from pre-school to High School, so we have a little knowledge there. You can pm me if you prefer.

And Lester is right...Little Richard's BBQ can't be beat!

Old 09-26-2007, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 8,428 times
Default consider living in WS

Rather than living AROUND Winston Salem, consider living IN Winston Salem. There is so much to do in town and you'll get tired of driving back and forth. Check out Sherwood Forest, Buena Vista residential areas! Enjoy the best city in NC! Big enough to have opera, symphony, great restaurants, but small enough to feel like home.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:48 PM

180 posts, read 204,653 times
I get Little Richard's BBQ every time I visit...I always bring it home with me and freeze it. Winston-Salem is nice, but it just depends if you like suburban living or more urban/in-town living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point