U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-26-2006, 06:40 AM
 
232 posts, read 1,601,330 times
Reputation: 187

Advertisements

We (myself, wife, 2 kids, one on the way) plan to move from Atlanta to Winston Salem early next year. We are looking into King, Davie County, and Southwest Forsyth (Clemmons, Lewisville). I grew up in Va, about an hour and a half from there, so I am fairly familiar with the area. I havent been there in several years though, so will be getting re-familiarized (is that a word?) Please give me some info. Particular interests are: Schools, good hole in the wall restaurants, outdoor activities, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-26-2006, 10:53 PM
 
Location: State of Bliss :-)
463 posts, read 1,519,584 times
Reputation: 164
Default About Moving Around Winston-Salem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven2149 View Post
We (myself, wife, 2 kids, one on the way) plan to move from Atlanta to Winston Salem early next year. We are looking into King, Davie County, and Southwest Forsyth (Clemmons, Lewisville). I grew up in Va, about an hour and a half from there, so I am fairly familiar with the area. I havent been there in several years though, so will be getting re-familiarized (is that a word?) Please give me some info. Particular interests are: Schools, good hole in the wall restaurants, outdoor activities, etc.

Make sure you're not moving to one of the outlying areas that Winston-Salem recently annexed, ( some 20 miles worth) and where 21 months of back taxes will be due to the city.

I'm seeing houses *suddenly* go on the market in some of these areas, ( I don't know where all of them are ) and I'm not surprised. Do your research. Read the W-S Journal online for more information.

Best regards,

Cassie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2006, 06:41 PM
 
232 posts, read 1,601,330 times
Reputation: 187
Anyone with input.. anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2006, 10:41 PM
 
6 posts, read 56,224 times
Reputation: 13
Hi Steven,

I've lived in Davie County for six years now and have worked in both Clemmons and Lewisville.

As far as schools go, elementary and middle schools in Davie are great, but there's a big controversy over whether to build a second high school for the county (due to overcrowding and growth in northern Davie...Advance, Bermuda Run, Hillsdale...). The longtime residents of Davie County would not like the more suburban and more-upscale northern Davie get a new high school, as well as cause a division in the county and the current high school's football program. While a decent area, Clemmons is starting to get very crowded--it's slowly becoming less of a separate entity of W-S with all the rapid growth along 158 from the Hanes Mall on out Stratford Road. Still--many neighborhoods and many great people.

Lewisville seems much more family and community oriented. There's a big gazebo in the center of town where a local theatre company performs several musicals each summer, and there is also a large 4th of July party as well. The new Ronald Reagan High School recently opened for this area as well, since Clemmons/Lewisville at one time shared West Forsyth HS. As Cassie stated though, be on the lookout for annexation, as many areas of NW Forsyth County and up towards Pfafftown are included.

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2006, 11:32 AM
 
676 posts, read 2,804,457 times
Reputation: 771
We ended up in North Davidson county right on the border of Forsyth County. We really like it here, we are about 15 minutes from Winston-Salem, yet we are out in the "country" with rolling hills, good schools, well maintained neighborhoods, low traffic, low crime and close to many little shopping centers. Our address is Lexington, but we do nothing in Lexington and actually feel closer to Winston. The houses are affordable out here and we just pay county tax. We didn't know anything about Winston-Salem when we were looking for houses, but luckily our realtor lives out this way and recommended looking in this area. I think the locals call it Midway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2006, 11:49 AM
 
232 posts, read 1,601,330 times
Reputation: 187
Ahhh.. I didn't know anything about Ronald Reagan High School. SOunds like exactly the place I'd like to send my children. Haha, it beats everything being named after Democrats here. (Atlanta) We do have a Reagan Parkway, though. Those all sound like areas of interest to me. What are the rush hour drives like from those places... Davie, N. Davidson, King, etc. Cassie tells me that traffic is pretty bad, but I can't believe for a minute that it is any comparison to Metro Atlanta. My wife works in Downtown and we live about 30 miles away and the drive is usually between 90 minutes and 2 hours. I can't wait to escape. Something else I was wondering, does anyone have any recommendations of daycares? We have a 1 year old and another one due in May. What seems to be the going rate for childcare? Here it is about 150 a week. (full time) Something else that I would love to find out about would be youth baseball leagues. I have an 11 year old who plays on an outstanding team now and wants continue playing travelling baseball. That is very popular here, but I know nothing about good leagues up there. I know that may be a bit of a stretch to answer, but any input would be great. (Pardon any typo's, I did this in a hurry.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2006, 12:33 PM
 
Location: State of Bliss :-)
463 posts, read 1,519,584 times
Reputation: 164
I think Lewisville is one of the annexed areas where homeowners owe 21 months worth of back taxes to the city of Winston-Salem. I haven't stayed current on when those are due-- there was some talk of stretching out the payments but apparently that plan had to be approved by the General Assembly. Be a good idea for anyone thinking about buying in Lewisville to check carefully into that. I don't know if Clemmons was annexed by W-S.

Regards,

Cassie



Quote:
Originally Posted by kwguy View Post
Hi Steven,

I've lived in Davie County for six years now and have worked in both Clemmons and Lewisville.

As far as schools go, elementary and middle schools in Davie are great, but there's a big controversy over whether to build a second high school for the county (due to overcrowding and growth in northern Davie...Advance, Bermuda Run, Hillsdale...). The longtime residents of Davie County would not like the more suburban and more-upscale northern Davie get a new high school, as well as cause a division in the county and the current high school's football program. While a decent area, Clemmons is starting to get very crowded--it's slowly becoming less of a separate entity of W-S with all the rapid growth along 158 from the Hanes Mall on out Stratford Road. Still--many neighborhoods and many great people.

Lewisville seems much more family and community oriented. There's a big gazebo in the center of town where a local theatre company performs several musicals each summer, and there is also a large 4th of July party as well. The new Ronald Reagan High School recently opened for this area as well, since Clemmons/Lewisville at one time shared West Forsyth HS. As Cassie stated though, be on the lookout for annexation, as many areas of NW Forsyth County and up towards Pfafftown are included.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Cassie; 10-17-2006 at 01:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2006, 03:54 PM
 
232 posts, read 1,601,330 times
Reputation: 187
I thought that Clemmons was already incorporated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2006, 04:15 PM
 
6 posts, read 56,224 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven2149 View Post
I thought that Clemmons was already incorporated.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Village of Clemmons was incorporated sometime around 1986. Lewisville is a town as well--it's just areas of NW Forsyth not incorporated that are undergoing the annexation, I think.

As far as a commute is concerned, it takes 20 mins or so to get to downtown W-S from where we live in northern Davie (about 18 miles, rough estimate). The area has grown A LOT in the past few years (not even close to Gwinnett or Cobb proportions, though, haha), so most of the traffic I've seen has been in the 2-3 miles it takes to get to I-40--after that it's a straight shot into town. The same goes for Clemmons--just an exit or two closer to Winston up I-40.

King traffic would probably come in on US 52--I don't drive it much, but I've never been fond of it during heavy traffic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2006, 05:07 PM
 
Location: State of Bliss :-)
463 posts, read 1,519,584 times
Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwguy View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Village of Clemmons was incorporated sometime around 1986. Lewisville is a town as well--it's just areas of NW Forsyth not incorporated that are undergoing the annexation, I think....

Hey, ya'll

I'm not planning on moving there. I think (but am not positive) that Lewisville was one of the areas that was annexed. I remember that they were mentioned in Wikipedia. If Lewisville is an incorporated town, maybe they were trying to annex another unincorporated area. Maybe not. I don't have time to research it. Again, I'm not planning on moving there. I can't keep up with all the annexation that goes on. I already said that I honestly don't know about Clemmons.

It was a suggestion on my part that people who are thinking about moving to either place check into the annexation issue.

Regards,

Cassie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top