Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 06:28 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times

Advertisements

Back in June Cooper Carry out of Atlanta made several recommendations for downtown Greensboro, one of which is luring a major corporate headquarters downtown. I'd like to see VF Corp sell its corporate headquarters complex on the north side of Greensboro and locate downtown. I created a quick drawing showing a 12-story VF Corp tower attached to the Wrangler headquarters. It would make sense to consolidate the VF Corp offices with the Wrangler Jeans corporate headquarters and there is plenty of land for a tower and a parking deck. (VF Corp is the parent company of Wrangler Jeans.) VF Corp is the world's largest apparel company and in addition to owning the Wrangler Jeans brand, the company owns Lee Jeans, Rustlers, Eastpak, JanSport, The North Face, Vans, Eagle Creek, Timberland, Nautica, Rock & Republic and more. If we want to attract corporate headquarters to the center-city, we need to start with companies already based here. I certainly would love to see Greensboro companies like RF Micro Devices, NewBridge Bank and Lorillard Tobacco Company locate downtown. We need more white collar jobs in the center-city and a bigger skyline. Over the past 10 years the city has made a lot of progress attracting residential development, restaurants and nightclubs downtown. There really hasn't been a whole lot of effort attracting big companies mainly because of a number of hurdles. Suburban locations are less expensive and parking is a problem downtown for an employer with 2,000 plus jobs. Downtown leaders are trying to address those issues. The city is looking at building two parking decks downtown and Downtown Greensboro Inc. wants to start an incentive program to level the playing field between downtown and the suburbs. While residential and nightlife are great, the primary focus should be attracting companies. Downtown is the central business district not the airport.

future VF Corp Headquarters?

Wrangler Headquarters (downtown)

VF Corp headquarters (north Greensboro)

Last edited by gsoboi78; 08-20-2012 at 07:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 08:50 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
I agree with you on this topic, but I don't see an issue with parking, I see an issue with developers not wanting to spend the money to build parking. It's one thing to knock down trees, move some dirt, install drainage, and throw 3" of asphalt on top. It's entirely different when it needs to go underground or 4 decks up. There are several vacant lots in that area: Northstate Chevrolet, Gate City Lincoln, Greensboro Inn, as well as everthing else on that block, has been tagged for demolition, and the two tracts at S Elm/Lee St.
The immediate section (Regional Rd) VF is currently located is a ghost town. There are several empty warehouse sites, empty office space, and the Amex building goes without saying.
Additionally I would like to see stronger retail downtown also.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:00 AM

side profile

Actually the goal is to get rid of a lot of the suburban style parking lots. I think developers are going to have to face the challenges and think outside the box

Old 08-21-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
side profile

Actually the goal is to get rid of a lot of the suburban style parking lots. I think developers are going to have to face the challenges and think outside the box
Exactly, with limited space your choices are up or down.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:59 AM

I created one in 3d

Last edited by gsoboi78; 08-23-2012 at 09:45 AM..

Old 08-23-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I created one in 3d

Get new software?

Old 08-23-2012, 04:14 PM

97 posts, read 315,664 times
you did all this but you can't be bothered to list examples of nightlife and shopping that make greensboro superior to winston-salem?

Old 08-23-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laneynewport View Post
you did all this but you can't be bothered to list examples of nightlife and shopping that make greensboro superior to winston-salem?
That horse has been beaten enough and the objective folks agree one city is not superior to the other.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:20 PM

97 posts, read 315,664 times
it's still a valid point, not just some snarky comment about his design software. i think people should back up what they say when people who aren't from here ask relevant questions.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laneynewport View Post
it's still a valid point, not just some snarky comment about his design software. i think people should back up what they say when people who aren't from here ask relevant questions.
The OP is discussing making downtown more diverse by luring more corporate headquarters to the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point