U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 08:30 AM

4,366 posts, read 5,295,560 times

Advertisements

Hello all, Was wondering if anyone can tell me about Lexington?
Housing prices? Schools, Things to do? crime? etc...
Also how far a drive is it from other major cities?

I would appreciate any info you have. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2006, 10:29 AM
JAS

570 posts, read 1,777,583 times
Default Lexington

Lexington is a town on the decline in my opinion. The town's economy has been based on furniture and manufacturing over the years - furniture and textiles aren't the best industries to be in these days (to put it mildly). Some companies are still doing OK with various manufacturing, but the overall economic picture of Lexington is weak.

There is some nice rural land in the Lexington area (Davidson County and High Rock Lake), but the town itself isn't that great. There is a huge BBQ festival there every year.

The closest cities would be Winston-Salem (about 20 miles to the north) and Greensboro (about 30 miles to the east). High Point is about 10 miles to the east also has some services and shopping.

Old 09-26-2006, 03:15 PM

676 posts, read 2,804,918 times
I live in Lexington as far as my address goes, but I have only been to town one time. I like where I live because it is on the outskirts of Winston-Salem and that is where we go for everything. As JAS said from our one trip out there it seemed like Lexington city was kind of on the decline (I got the same feeling from my one visit to High Point also) - which probably isn't fair for me to say since I am new to the area, but I do like Lexington in the 27295 zip code where we live. If you do the crime stats for that zip code, it is a great area, good schools, kind of rural but close to Winston. We probably will only go to Lexington once a year for the BBQ festival which is ironic since it is "techincally" our address.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:51 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,192,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS View Post
Lexington is a town on the decline in my opinion.
One indicator of that is the state of home ownership, which is in a decline in Lexington, just as it has been in Thomasville. Tuesday's Winston-Salem Journal has an article about that http://www.journalnow.com (do a search on Lexington+home ownership

The city council has appointed a home ownership study committee to view the issue and come up with ways to reverse the number of houses that have become rental property. At this point, 49.8 percent of dwellings in Lexington are owner-occupied and 50.2 percent are rental property. That's balanced against the national rate of almost 69% home ownership.

So, a person could probably pick up a very reasonably-priced dwelling, but it might not be in a stable neighborhood.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:41 AM

4,366 posts, read 5,295,560 times
I saw a beautiful house on line for sale. A 1920's Craftsman Bungalowe, totally renovated, about 2000 sq ft for 169K. Not sure what the housing market is in Lexington but thanks for the info on home ownership Silverwing.
The house has been on the market for a while and learning that 50% of homes are owner occupied makes one say Hmmmmm?

Old 04-21-2007, 10:23 PM

53 posts, read 250,583 times
I thought I'd but this in, because I hate to see Lexington viewed so negatively. The job market may be on the decline; however, it is 15 miles from High Point, 20 miles from WS, 30 from Greensboro, 45 from Charlotte, and close to other small towns. I've commuted 45 minutes just to go 15 miles across town. At least the highway system there is good and there is no Lexington traffic backups so it is a straight shot to lots of employment options. My husband and I aren't having any difficulty finding work- I guess it just depends on one's occupation and marketability.

We just bought a house in Lexington at High Rock Lake and I can't wait until next month when we move there. Lexington was by far the best place I researched and visited multiple times in NC. We went to Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Charlotte, Statesville, Hunterville, Gastonia, and about 20 other small cities around them. Lexington had the friendliest people (I wasn't expecting a small town to be friendly towards my interracial family), the lake is beautiful, there is very little traffic, tons of places to eat (they were lacking good hotels though & Sundays and Mondays are when all the mom/pop shops take the day off so the town is a bit dead then), plenty of shops, a great historic downtown, Davidson County schools are good, Finch park is incredible (the playground was sponsored by the Kimberly Clark Co.), there are a lot of other little neighborhood parks, there are historic homes in nice areas w/ quaint little parks, and there are two golf courses not to mention all of the lake activities. It is not a town for single people or really young people. It is more of a slow-paced, family-oriented community. I currently live in a city of a million people and I hate watching my kids grow up surrounded by violence, people who ignore one another, and such a congested, hurried pace. Lexington reminds me of Hershey, PA where I lived when I was young. On the surface there may not be all the things of a larger area (museums, zoos, water parks, malls, etc.) but all of those things are within a quick drive.

Old 04-22-2007, 03:54 PM

19 posts, read 57,809 times
Lexington is not very culturally diverse OR accepting. It is a small, rural, "red-neckish" town. The former sheriff was convicted of illegal stuff and if you are a minority living there, you might not fully enjoy the town.

As a minority, I would move to Greensboro, Raleigh, Charlotte.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:27 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,648,329 times
The above poster apparently is basing there opinion on one indivual on a scandal that happen years ago and no longer in office. and in my opinion that is almost like saying americans are sluts because of our previous president. I think you might want to go to Lexinton Multicultral festival at finch park may 5th and you will see how diverse the city actually is.

city data facts
Races in Lexington:
  • White Non-Hispanic (54.8%)
  • Black (29.9%)
  • Hispanic (10.7%)
  • Other race (6.0%)
  • Two or more races (2.2%)
  • Other Asian (1.9%)
  • American Indian (1.0%)
Lexington is a cute city and even though it going thru a change I think it a ideal bedroom community in a good central location of bigger cities without all the traffic and crime associated with it. The schools rank well and you can find alot of large size homes with basements on a acre of land and not be on postage size lot.

Far as the areas I would suggest for good quality neighborhoods are Twin Acres, Arbor Acres, beautiful historic homes between 2nd avenue and 5th avenue, West center street and Sapona. Best part there is no HOA's
If your looking on outskirts I would suggest High rock lake (but not in a cove), west side and north side of the city.

It a great city that people will say hello to you by name, remember how you like your clothes starched, and conrad hinkle will be glad to chop your meat the way you like.

Crime: The number of violent crimes recorded by the FBI in 2003 was 165. The number of murders and homicides was 0. The violent crime rate was 8.1 per 1,000 people.

I highly suggest driving thru country club area and see the beautiful mansions of Henry Link (lexington furniture executive). eddie smith executive (national wholesale co) Bob Timberlake world known artist and entrepeuneur of timberlake homes and furnishings.

The ymca has great summer activies for kids and even has boiling alley and indoor basketball court, racquet ball court as well and olympic size swim pool.

There is alot of swim pools to become members of located around and in summer they have competition with each other great for the little ones, and to know your neighbors.

What I would say far as lexington is great if your looking to live in a good wholesome kind of city where civic activity is strong, kids are part of sports and other extra curicular activies and enjoy watching the squirrels and birds in the yard.

If a location that is an hour from the Blue Ridge Mountains and just four hours from the North and South Carolina beaches isn't enough, Lexington's special events and everyday attractions are sure to demonstrate ability to stand alone as a jewel of the Piedmont. The newly renovated Finch Park is a hub for community activity throughout the year. It serves as host for activities ranging from daily leisure trips, youth and adult soccer, baseball and softball games,

Tax Rate for
$.54 per $100 assessed valuation

neighbor counties
.66 forsyth (winston salem)
.66 guilford (high point greensboro
.63 rowan (salisbury)

It great if you want to reep in the the extra income that neighbor cities pay yet enjoy less cost of living that lexington will provide. It great central location to larger cities winston, high point withn 20 minutes, greensboro within 30, raliegh 2 hours, charlotte 50 minutes but situated in area that you and children can enjoy a since of community.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:47 AM

2 posts, read 5,315 times
This city is not on the decline. True it is moving from furniture and textile. Since the late 90s and 2000,s the city and area lost around 8,000 jobs. However in the same time frame we have added about the same amount and in many cases, cleaner more modern and better paying jobs. Also we have slowly moved more progressive folks into the city government, New Mayor and members of city council. True we have a lot of rental property. However many of the folks who own them and now in a position to want to sale and the prices are great. An old Mill Village, The Village of Erlanger, is being a massive redevelopment with smaller homes vintage 19teens with many of the original details still there coming online for purchase. This project is beginning in 2008. It will become a great, walkable, sustainable community with stores and eateries within walking distance. Lots of great older homes, some quite large in other neighborhoods just waiting for folks with vision. Schools are improving with organized groups working toward this end. Lots of new events, BBQ cookoff, Cycling competition, and lots of old standards. Music outdoors in the summer. Of course the annual BBQ Festival, listed as one of the Top 10 Food Festivals of the US. Commuting to Greensboro, Winston-Salem easy. Also plans in the works for the NorthCarolina train that runs between Raleigh and Charlotte for commuters and buisness travelers to stop in Lexington twice daily. Not perfect but improving and a diamond in the rough.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:14 AM

525 posts, read 1,925,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexmanjw View Post
This city is not on the decline. True it is moving from furniture and textile. Since the late 90s and 2000,s the city and area lost around 8,000 jobs. However in the same time frame we have added about the same amount and in many cases, cleaner more modern and better paying jobs. Also we have slowly moved more progressive folks into the city government, New Mayor and members of city council. True we have a lot of rental property. However many of the folks who own them and now in a position to want to sale and the prices are great. An old Mill Village, The Village of Erlanger, is being a massive redevelopment with smaller homes vintage 19teens with many of the original details still there coming online for purchase. This project is beginning in 2008. It will become a great, walkable, sustainable community with stores and eateries within walking distance. Lots of great older homes, some quite large in other neighborhoods just waiting for folks with vision. Schools are improving with organized groups working toward this end. Lots of new events, BBQ cookoff, Cycling competition, and lots of old standards. Music outdoors in the summer. Of course the annual BBQ Festival, listed as one of the Top 10 Food Festivals of the US. Commuting to Greensboro, Winston-Salem easy. Also plans in the works for the NorthCarolina train that runs between Raleigh and Charlotte for commuters and buisness travelers to stop in Lexington twice daily. Not perfect but improving and a diamond in the rough.
Lexington is my hometown and I would agree that it is not on the decline, but there's definitely a lack of decent jobs compared to the 80's when there were 12 or so furniture plants downtown. When they stopped blowing the noon whistle downtown, that's when I knew something was wrong. Now there's maybe 3 still open and tons of space for rent.

sometime soon people will start settling there as a bedroom community for Greensboro and WS and it will pick up. Property values will start going up again. I hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point