U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 12:36 PM

686 posts, read 1,444,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laneynewport View Post
MrRational, I respectfully disagree. NC requires used cars to pass the same inspection tests that new cars have to pass. And now that all the inspection stations are online, there is no "knowing a guy" and getting your inspection sticker. Also, cars made in 1996 and since have to pass the OBD emissions test as well as the other inspection requirements.
Interesting information, and thanks, laneynewport.

Keeping the cost down and avoiding rust are two reasons cited on the NH forum to buy a car in NC. I expect to buy a car made between 1996 and 2000. I plan to get the car I purchase through NC inspection (requirements largely similar to NH's) and a mechanic's inspection on the car's health. Of course, I will run a VIN check on the car before I purchase, so I will know where the car has been before it arrived in NC.

So, what are the chances I can get a conditional bill-of-sale? Are dealers likely to disengage if I insist?

Also, I need to consider the cost of the additional NC inspection, any sales tax, and the cost of visiting NC (travel, hotel, food) before I decide to proceed on this route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 01:06 PM

97 posts, read 253,619 times
SMUR, I just realized a problem with making sure the car passes inspection here in NC. Registration is required for an inspection to be done- something you won't have if you don't plan to register the car until you get to NH. The cost of inspection differs from county to county in NC. I usually buy cars from individual sellers- I'd rather pay $3,000 for a decent used car and own it outright than worry about car payments. It's cheaper to keep the same amount of money in the bank to replace the car with a comparable one if it's wrecked or has major mechanical problems than to pay for comprehensive insurance. It just works better for us given our income and budget. Surely you could find a mechanic who would inspect the car, though, and let you know if it has any issues that would affect it passing inspection in NH. And since I usually don't buy from dealers, I'm not sure if insisting on a conditional bill-of-sale would push a dealer away, but I can say this: I wouldn't trust a dealer saying the car would pass inspection any more than I'd trust a private seller. I think if a car would pass inspectionl, though, most dealers would be willing to allow an independent mechanic to take a look at the car before a bill of sale would even be signed. Having said all that, I'm certain there are others who could give you much more detailed information than I have. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:15 PM

2,647 posts, read 6,081,893 times
It would be a waste to have your new (used) car inspected in NC. Any reputable dealer will let you take the car to any mechanic you choose before finalizing the sale. His/her inspection would be much better for you as a buyer--the NC inspection is a safety inspection. While that's good stuff to know, you can check most all of that stuff yourself (turn signals, wipers, lights, etc.). What you really want to know as a buyer is the mechanics--engine, suspension, transmission, etc. Should cost you around $100 or so to get a good thorough mechanical inspection, which is money well-spent.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:33 PM

28,482 posts, read 62,084,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laneynewport View Post
MrRational, I respectfully disagree. NC requires used cars to pass the same inspection tests that new cars have to pass.
It's inadequate and NOT a safety inspection.
It's a superficial, cursory observation exam... NOT an inspection.
There have been other threads on this topic.
---

OP: NC cars are less likely to have the rust issues of a NH snow car.
That is the only reason to consider going to this trouble.
Do the carfax report on ANY used car.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:12 PM

97 posts, read 253,619 times
Again, I respect your opinion but I disagree. Passing the NC inspection requires the car have a working horn, adequate windshield wiper blades, tires with decent tread, among other things that could be checked without an in-depth examination of the car. There are people who would continue to drive their car without these basic safety requirements so the NC inspection is important so people whose cars couldn't pass the most basic safety requirements can't renew registration year after year without basic upkeep. Driving with bald tires, driving without brake lights or a horn is a safety issue to the driver and others on the road. In fact, the visual inspection of the car has more to do with the car being road-worthy than the emissions test does so it's not superficial in that it's unimportant, but that it requires only a visual examination of the car, not a computerized check of emissions sensors.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:29 PM

Excellent information and thanks to all contributors:

Here is the summary take away for me:

1. The process of purchasing a car in NC for use in NH seems fairly straightforward.
2. NC inspection is largely about safety, or at least cannot be considered "heavy-weight".
3. Dealers are likely to let the buyer take the car to an independent mechanic before sale is completed.
4. There are some concerns about quality of cars (rusted cars from elsewhere might end up in NC).

I have yet to understand how sales tax works in this case. Any thoughts?

Old 08-24-2012, 09:23 PM

10,396 posts, read 19,409,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUR View Post
I wonder if this is all too much effort for too little gain.
What "gain" do you mean? Are you in NC currently, about to move to NH? Otherwise, I don't understand why these specific two states are involved. Why not just buy a car in NH?

EDIT: OK, I just saw your above post that you read somewhere on the Internet to do this. Hmmm...that seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to for whatever "gain" you believe you will receive. Shocker: not everything you read on the Internet is true! Or not everything you read on the internet is up-to-date (gasp).

Quote:
I have yet to understand how sales tax works in this case. Any thoughts?
What's not to understand? It's XXX % of the price, added on to what you pay.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
What "gain" do you mean? Are you in NC currently, about to move to NH? Otherwise, I don't understand why these specific two states are involved. Why not just buy a car in NH?

EDIT: OK, I just saw your above post that you read somewhere on the Internet to do this. Hmmm...that seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to for whatever "gain" you believe you will receive. Shocker: not everything you read on the Internet is true! Or not everything you read on the internet is up-to-date (gasp).
To recap: I am in NH and am evaluating a suggestion to buy a used car in NC for operation in NH. The suggestion was made a few days ago on the NH CD forum, a somewhat reputable place due to contributions from long-time members who, from what I can see, genuinely try to help others. (The same way members do here on NC forums.)

A gain in buying a used car in NC is that cars in NC are less likely to have rust issues used cars in NH tend to have. Another possible gain is that certain classes/ages of cars can be less expensive in NC than in NH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
What's not to understand? It's XXX % of the price, added on to what you pay.
Again recapping, NH does not have sales tax; NC does. The question about sales tax in this case is whether sales tax is due on a car sale when the car is sold to a resident of a state with no sales tax. And, there is good reason to ask this question: According to a trusted source (which is not on the Internet), NH residents are able to buy a car in MA without sales tax. Of course, my source could be wrong, or I might have misunderstood my source.

I hope this recap helps. I would love to get the benefit of any knowledge you might have on this topic.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:25 AM

2,647 posts, read 6,081,893 times
^ You would not be subject to the highway use tax if you are an out-of-state buyer. It's levied at the time the title is transferred, and if you are not going to register the car in NC then you don't have to pay it.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
^ You would not be subject to the highway use tax if you are an out-of-state buyer. It's levied at the time the title is transferred, and if you are not going to register the car in NC then you don't have to pay it.
Thanks arbyunc for the information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point