U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 07:47 AM

8 posts, read 9,544 times

Advertisements

We are leaving the military in a couple months. My mother recently moved to Clemmons, NC because of a job offer she got in Winston-Salem. We are looking into moving to that general area so our daughter can be around her Grandma. I have never lived in NC, this is completely new to me and she has only lived their a short time as well so her knowledge is limited.

Ultimately we want to be in safe neighborhood, family oriented (we have a five year old). The schools need to be good because of our daughter. I need to be in driving distance of a college because I need to take a couple courses in physics/chemistry then I am eventually applying to medical school once that is done. (yes I know about the medical schools in NC...another bonus of NC)

We have no idea what our budget will be because he doesn't have a job lined up yet. He is IT cybersecurity, the average for that job in NC is $50,000-$110,000 so who knows where we will land on that scale.I say we expect to make even less than that so if we do get a good job lined up then we will be happier, I am a penny pincher so I always prepare for the worst with money.

I know Clemmons seems nice, but I want to look into the other nearby areas as well. What areas or neighborhoods would you suggest? Any nearby you absolutely advice to avoid? (we will not go anywhere poverty stricken/high crime because of daughter)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 08:23 AM

6,611 posts, read 6,948,476 times
Clemmons is in southwest Forsyth County, and anywhere on that side of town is pretty nice with good schools. There is not an area that I can think of that you should avoid.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:41 AM

97 posts, read 255,043 times
You might want to look into Ardmore. It's a great area of town and would be within your price range I would think. Here's a link to some of the neighborhood associations, including Ardmore.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:34 AM

8 posts, read 9,544 times
No link was in that post.

I will check out Ardmore, thank you for that.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:31 PM

97 posts, read 255,043 times
oh. well i guess it doesn't do much good to copy the link if i forget to paste it. here it is- Smitty's Notes > Community > Community Listings good luck with your upcoming move. i hope you'll enjoy winston : )

Old 09-03-2012, 05:16 PM
LLN

4,983 posts, read 8,768,316 times
My advice is to stay in army. Retirement pay is ok, but TRI Care is priceless. You will realize this ultimately. I have several very wealthy friends that work simply for health insurance. I doubt you will heed this advice because you are chasing wants. One day you will realize it is the needs that are important. Regardless, good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point