U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 12:16 PM

60 posts, read 111,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
The city of Winston-Salem website gives different numbers. There are over 30,000 TOTAL incidents in 2012

http://www.cityofws.org/Assets/CityO...%20Aug2012.pdf

Those statistics include "Part 2" crimes which appear to be lesser offenses like DWI, vandalism, disorderly conduct, etc. You can find a breakdown of the Part 1 vs. Part 2 crimes in the 2011 report

I looked on the City of Greensboro website and wasn't able to find similar total numbers, so apples to apples on total crime (inclusive of the lesser offenses) will be hard to compare. That said, the violent and property crime numbers appear to be the most accurate for comparison purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 04:38 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,305,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYLion View Post
Just to reinforce your comment...

2010 actual stats:
Crime Rate (Total Incidents) 15,596 (Gboro) vs. 15,562 (W-S)
Property Crime 13,776 (Gboro) vs. 13,349 (W-S)
Violent Crime 1,512 (Gboro) vs. 1,517 (W-S)

Though they are fairly close, Gboro crime numbers > W-S on all three stats.

2012 projected stats
Crime Rate (Total Incidents) 17,125 (Gboro) vs. 15,741 (W-S)
Property Crime 15,305 (Gboro) vs. 13,528 (W-S)
Violent Crime 2,021 (Gboro) vs. 1,568 (W-S)

In this case, Gboro numbers are starting to look significantly higher than W-S.

Clearly, both areas need improvement but the math is pretty clear.
According to my projected stats I should be on Forbes 500 list. Guess what?
When the 2012 actual stats are released I will use them at such time.
But hey, if it helps the Gboro haters feel good about themselves and cause them to walk with their chests puffed out a little more then good for them.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:06 AM

60 posts, read 111,977 times
Default that's a bit of a straw man argument

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
According to my projected stats I should be on Forbes 500 list. Guess what?
When the 2012 actual stats are released I will use them at such time.
But hey, if it helps the Gboro haters feel good about themselves and cause them to walk with their chests puffed out a little more then good for them.

I agree that actual stats are a better metric than projected, though I suspect the projections are based upon trending data. Anyway, I'm new to the area and have no agenda with regard to Greensboro vs. Winston Salem...I'm just a data head and thought this was an interesting discussion.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:29 AM

6,611 posts, read 6,925,255 times
Quote:
I think most people would agree with what I have said
In your little fantasy world maybe...but do I really have to explain to you that you have no idea what "most people" would agree with? It's not difficult to understand that you can't speak for what "most people" think.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:11 AM

302 posts, read 537,098 times
gboi thinks that 'most' people think like he does...

Old 10-01-2012, 05:54 AM

97 posts, read 253,974 times
The discussions that inevitably become arguments re: Greensboro vs Winston are starting to get old. Every time someone looking to relocate to the area asks for info from locals, they get a couple of helpful responses at best then have to read through all this crap that has more to do with trading jabs and insults than giving any real information they can use to make a decision. Boi, we get that you love Greensboro. I think it's great that you take pride in your city. I think you should sit down and write a sonnet about the wonders of Greensboro and all the things that make it just short of a utopia for you and I think you should post it proudly instead of turning out the same boring, annoying posts in every thread offering your personal opinion as fact. And those of you who respond every single time with the same, equally annoying responses seem oblivious to the fact that by now the posts are obviously meant to provoke these exchanges and you bite every time and contribute to the ridiculousness just as much as he does.

To be frank, many of the opinions and preferences people have for or against Winston and Greensboro go back 20+ years when Winston folks considered Greensboro to be ghetto and dangerous and Greensboro folks thought of Winston as boring and many people here as bigoted. Although demographics and population have changed and prejudices and tensions have all but disappeared, most people's preferences have remained the same, even if they remain for different reasons than those for which they were formed. Most of us who prefer our hometown do so mostly because we're more familiar with it, not because we've studied crime rates and trends and projected statistics over the years to re-examine our positions.

Information about neighborhoods, apartment complexes, schools, community events, restaurants, etc. based on our personal experience living here helps people at least get an idea for the area and hopefully a starting point for their own research on where they might want to live. And personal opinions are helpful and often requested but they're not facts and they are up for debate no matter how strongly you feel. And if all you have to offer is a general statement that one city is better than the other without any real specific supporting info, then you're not offering anything at all. If the Winston/Greensboro debate must continue, can it at least be a proper one and not a childish "my city's better than your city" argument? Thanks.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:40 AM

4,580 posts, read 4,399,941 times
First of all Winston-Salem shouldn't even be a part of this topic. Its about Greensboro and Raleigh. When someone from Greensboro interjects info about the Gate City, somebody from Winston always chimes in trying to convince people not to move to Greensboro.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:22 PM

85 posts, read 160,768 times
Quote:
First of all Winston-Salem shouldn't even be a part of this topic. Its about Greensboro and Raleigh. When someone from Greensboro interjects info about the Gate City, somebody from Winston always chimes in trying to convince people not to move to Greensboro.

You're beyond irrational. The persons job is in Winston and they don't know anything about this area (Triad/Triangle) so yeah Winston IS part of this topic.

No one in Winston ever says move to WS if your job is in Greensboro, it is you who always says move to GSO.

You blame others pointing your finger, but there are 3 other fingers pointed back you.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:26 PM

302 posts, read 537,098 times
There's an old Yiddish saying: 'Every ass likes to hear himself bray."

Boi is a troll who needs a life, and a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point