U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 07:32 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,753,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I think it great having this store, but should government be giving corporate welfare for retail?
If does have the ripple effect as you state with retail & restaurant, wouldn't it have a ripple effect on them asking for the same incentives?

Government should do this, and any questions can be resolved by simple math.

If the tax revenue that the store will bring it, by its and other stores that are attracted, presence, outweighs the value of the incentive, given the time value of money, it is a no brainer. And by tax, I mean corporate and individual tax from people gaining jobs (and moving off unemployment or welfare).

Where these things go wrong is in using bad, overly optimistic assumptions. It is a very, very objective decision.

lln
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 09:18 AM

10,695 posts, read 11,326,703 times
I wonder how Mast will do in W-S. There was a Mast Gen. Store in Chapel Hill several years ago that folded. I shopped there some, but it just couldn't make it. The store was a bit smaller than the other Masts I have been in (Valle Crucis, Boone, Asheville), too, and rent is high in Chapel Hill on Franklin St.

I really associate the Mast General Store with the mountains, though, and wonder if that wasn't part of the problem. Their product line really appeals to the tourist and hiker in the mountains—lots of rustic housewares, tourist souvenirs, and outdoors type stuff. I wonder how their Columbia, SC location does. It just opened in 2011. That's the only one of their current 8 stores that is not in the mountains.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:11 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,933,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I wonder how Mast will do in W-S. There was a Mast Gen. Store in Chapel Hill several years ago that folded. I shopped there some, but it just couldn't make it. The store was a bit smaller than the other Masts I have been in (Valle Crucis, Boone, Asheville), too, and rent is high in Chapel Hill on Franklin St.

I really associate the Mast General Store with the mountains, though, and wonder if that wasn't part of the problem. Their product line really appeals to the tourist and hiker in the mountainsólots of rustic housewares, tourist souvenirs, and outdoors type stuff. I wonder how their Columbia, SC location does. It just opened in 2011. That's the only one of their current 8 stores that is not in the mountains.
Winston-Salem has strong ties and close proximity to the mountain areas of Northwest NC, so if that is one of the criteria for success then I think the store will do well.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:05 PM

I wish 'em well, and W-S, too. Hope it makes a go of it. The other stores are located in more touristy areas right smack dab in the mountains, though, with the exception of Columbia SC.

Best of luck to Mast and Winston, too!

Old 09-30-2012, 07:49 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,316,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
A small, locally-owned "grocery store". Don't act like a Harris Teeter is opening in downtown Greensboro.

I've read your other posting on this and other sites. We all know that isn't all you're saying...you are constantly putting down Winston-Salem and talking up Greensboro - you might as well just own it.
If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black I don't know what is.
Deep Roots Market is a small locally owned grocery store that will be building downtown GSO and though it's not Harris Teeter it still is a full service grocery store. If you have ever set foot in there you would find you could accomplish most of your grocery shopping.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:57 AM

2,650 posts, read 6,092,287 times
Quote:
There was a Mast Gen. Store in Chapel Hill several years ago that folded.

Are you sure about that? I have no recollection of a Mast General Store in Chapel Hill. Where was it?

Old 10-01-2012, 07:33 AM

Yep. I'm sure. I guess it was in the early 90s. We're big Mast Store fans and long time Chapel Hill residents so we were excited when it came to town. It was located on West Franklin St where Carolina Brewery is now. I think it only lasted a year or two. There's not much of a digital trail left, but you can find a listing for it here.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:30 AM

2,650 posts, read 6,092,287 times
Quote:
Yep. I'm sure. I guess it was in the early 90s. We're big Mast Store fans and long time Chapel Hill residents so we were excited when it came to town. It was located on West Franklin St where Carolina Brewery is now. I think it only lasted a year or two. There's not much of a digital trail left, but you can find a listing for it here.
Interesting, I don't remember that at all.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:18 AM

1,047 posts, read 1,974,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Interesting, I don't remember that at all.
That's probably the problem, that no one had heard of it. But I think the Winston-Salem branch has a better chance of success. First of all, the city is giving them a location in a nice, busy area of downtown. And secondly, there are a lot of Appalachian alums in Winston-Salem, all of whom will have heard of Mast before. And I do agree that the demand will be a lot higher in an area closer to the mountains.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:55 AM

Well they probably learned something from that early attempt at expansion and have done their research on W-S. The location in Chapel Hill was primo — can't get much better than that — but the rent may have been too expensive and CH just wasn't a good market for the outdoors+folksy stuff Mast sells. CH's market is more college/urban hipster/older gourmet type. We do have a market for outdoor stuff, but already had two long-standing outdoor stores, one right down the street (The Trail Shop, which has since closed) so that corner of the market was pretty well taken. The folksy NC hillbilly stuff can play in Chapel Hill (witness the renown of a place like Mama Dips) but it's pretty niche. I guess we just weren't buying what they were selling then. The Chapel Hill market is also much, much, much smaller than the Winston-Salem market. Hope it's a big success in W-S!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point