U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 01:39 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,922,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black I don't know what is.
Deep Roots Market is a small locally owned grocery store that will be building downtown GSO and though it's not Harris Teeter it still is a full service grocery store. If you have ever set foot in there you would find you could accomplish most of your grocery shopping.
What are you talking about? Certainly you aren't trying to defend gsoboi and all of his nonsense...

I have been to DRM and it's not what I would call a real grocery store...I would hate to have to do all of my shopping there - it would severely limit my food choices. If it qualifies, then MANY downtowns have grocery stores but just don't realize it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 07:09 AM

2,647 posts, read 6,083,157 times
The Mast store is now officially open! Ribbon cutting yesterday, and grand opening activities planned for next week. I plan to avoid the place for at least a month or two until the crowds wane a bit. Nice to see it finally happen, though.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:36 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,103,476 times
I'm looking forward to checking it out (I'll wait for the crowds to die down a bit also). I've never been to a Mast General.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:41 AM

7,281 posts, read 13,521,972 times
Glad the place is open. Looking back through this thread, there was a lot of commentary from people who aren't familiar with the store and didn't "get" it's brand. Some of what Mast does is nostalgia: trivets and enamel mugs and cast-iron skillets. But a lot of what they do is outdoor gear, lifestyle brands, home goods, etc. The one in Columbia does well, as does the one in Greenville, SC, and neither are in the mountains (as some have suggested that it's exclusively a mountain brand). Heck, even if it was, proximity to mountains and the sheer volume of App State alumni would help that go a long way.

Plus it fills a pretty solid niche in Winston. Great Outdoors Provisions is nice to have, but lacks options for customers who don't want to spend 60 dollars for a pair of shorts. Mast offers some of the high end outdoor brands, but also carries a much wider selection, in terms of price and style.

And yes, the Chapel Hill store was a misstep. It was in the building where Carolina Brewing is now, and it lasted less than a year. That was a good while ago, however, and Mast has gotten much better at this. I like the location, helping to tie the 4th and 5th street corridors with Trade St., and we'll be headed in with some regularity. I've lived in several towns with a Mast and have found myself visiting a lot.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:59 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,654,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Glad the place is open. Looking back through this thread, there was a lot of commentary from people who aren't familiar with the store and didn't "get" it's brand ....... I like the location, helping to tie the 4th and 5th street corridors with Trade St., and we'll be headed in with some regularity. I've lived in several towns with a Mast and have found myself visiting a lot.
I agree. It should be a good fit in W-S... and good for downtown W-S.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:25 AM

302 posts, read 536,849 times
Great photos and history.

Mast | Winston-Salem, NC

Old 05-27-2015, 04:54 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,922,270 times
I love the signage...and it's lit at night, which adds to the area.

Credit: https://instagram.com/stitchdesignshop

Old 05-28-2015, 12:27 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,103,476 times
Hoping to stop by soon, perhaps this weekend.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:05 PM

4,654 posts, read 3,237,575 times
I am moving to Winston Salem by September 1. I am so excited to read this information. There may be nothing in the store that I can use or afford, but heck it's fun to look. To those of you with positive posts, thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point