U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2012, 03:46 PM

5 posts, read 7,487 times

Advertisements

My husband may get a job in Mocksville, NC. I don't know much about North Carolina so I'm looking for some advice on areas.

We have an 8 year old so schools are top priority. I don't want a rural area. We live in Durango Colorado now and I hate it. There's nothing to do but hike and it far too liberal. I'm looking for a place close to a zoo and water parks, close to a city, but not in the city. A safe place.

Are there any towns close to Mocksville that would fit the bill?

P.S. Before Colorado we lived in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and I really liked it. South Florida before that and it was just ok. People aren't very friendly and schools aren't good in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 05:06 PM

302 posts, read 537,098 times
Look at Clemmons. It is like half way between Mocksville, and the closest major city, Winston-Salem. Clemmons also is home to Tanglewood, which has water facilities among others for recreation, and your high school would probably be West Forsyth which is one of the best high schools in the county.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:28 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,184,707 times
It is better to stay east of Mocksville - Clemmons, like the previous poster noted, or Lewisville. Lord knows when the Davie County high school squabble is going to be resolved (build a new one or remodel the old one), so if you have a kid rising toward that school level and don't want to face a tenuous situation, you'd probably want to consider that.

Closest zoo is Asheboro, though there are animal parks like The Lazy 5. There is a mega soccer park in Bermuda Run and a number of decent bike trails in the area.

Definitely stay away from buying a house close to Mocksville if you don't like rural areas. It's my home; I've enjoyed living here for the past 15 years; but it is a small dot of a town in the middle of a rural area.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:12 PM

28,490 posts, read 62,136,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giehlc View Post
My husband may get a job in Mocksville, NC.

We have an 8 year old so schools are top priority. I don't want a rural area.
I'm looking for a place close to a zoo and water parks, close to a city, but not in the city. A safe place.

Are there any towns close to Mocksville that would fit the bill?
Not really.

The best compromise option might be one of the suburb areas west/north or Winston.
That means maybe as much as a 25 mile commute to Mocksville.

Pfafftown, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-25-2012, 02:03 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,184,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Not really.

The best compromise option might be one of the suburb areas west/north or Winston.
That means maybe as much as a 25 mile commute to Mocksville.

Pfafftown, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Which isn't a big deal. The roads around here, even the two-lanes, are generally good.

I commuted 20 miles to Salisbury, Spouse 24 miles to the heart of W-S (one reason why we chose Mocksville - pretty much in the middle). We each allotted 45 minutes for our respective commutes and always arrived ~15 minutes early unless there was an accident to get around.

But, to the OP, this area is not Charlotte or Raleigh. Some of the schools are decent; the area is well-served by a couple of major medical centers; there is decent shopping to be found at Hanes Mall. But the W-S area is not a megalopolis with a diversity of activities. It's a very nice area, in my opinion, but does not in any way compare to the Texas areas you are familiar with and liked.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:16 PM

87 posts, read 78,293 times
I would echo what's being said. The Forsyth County schools seem to be great! In particular, I checked into Reagan High School for my son when we moved here. I was impressed. Pfafftown has that small town feel, but you're close to the shopping mall, and downtown Winston Salem. You won't find a whole lot of liberals here either. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point