U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 04:05 PM

3,869 posts, read 6,686,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
He asked about Greensboro and Burlington. After reading the forum, I'm sure he knows you guys have it out for Greensboro.
I'm not one generally for piling on, but if you had really read the OP's post thoroughly, you'd know that she is a single mother.

Back to helping the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 09:28 AM

44 posts, read 85,709 times
Default I Have Had Similar Questions

Hello,

I relocated from Southern CA to Greensboro last year. It has been exactly a year this month. First off, let me tell you that there will be some culture shock if you relocate to this area, from CA. You will probably miss CA and the people you knew there, but you will probably not miss crowds, commuting, traffic, high taxes, and all the other crap in CA. The people here are different. In general, they tend to be very nice on the surface but forming deeper connections has been difficult for me, I never had a problem with this back in CA. After a year I have managed to make two friends at work - one is from England, one is from Texas. My Texas friend has informed that Southern Culture keeps outsiders at "arms length". They will be "very nice to your face, but unsure about you until some one accepts you into their circle". All the people I connect with in this area right away have been from NY, England, NJ or somewhere else besides the South! Anyways, I just thought I would offer you this information as something to be aware of It might help you if you feel like you aren't connecting with people, just remember it takes some time - more time in the South than some other places. A man at church came up to me recently and asked where I was from. When I said CA he said "I knew it, you give off a don't talk to me unless your going to be real vibe. That is very California." In the South people are friendly because it's part of their culture, it is not always sincere. Just keep it in mind, cuz it threw me off a little bit

Now to get to your real question.
As far as places to live...I want to start a family, so I've been obsessively researching the areas around Greensboro. The 27410 zip code is the best as far as schools and part the city, Greensboro. Very high performing schools. Claxton Elementary, Pearce Elementary, Kernodle Middle, Northwest Middle and High, Northern Elementary, Middle and High School - you can't go wrong with these. Crowding is the only thing people complain about, but they have the best test scores so i guess that doesn't matter.

Summerfield, Oak Ridge and some parts of Brown Summit are just as nice if not nicer. They make you feel like you are kind of in the country. Well, I guess you are in the country The schools in these areas are also among the best in Guilford County. Stokesdale is also ok. Stokesdale Elementary, Oak Ridge Elementary, Summerfield Elementary and the corresponding middle and high schools in these towns -you can't go wrong. The thing about these areas is that they are expensive. Home prices are inflated. Everyone wants to live in these areas. If you want to buy a home , you will probably have to settle for less.

My husband and I want a nice home and if we want to live in these areas, we will have to buy an older house, not as big, small lot ect. So I just recently started looking at some other areas where I can afford a nicer home.

I'm starting to like whitsett. It's closer to Burlington. However, the schools are not the best. Some of them are ok, but the neighborhoods and homes are much less expensive and safe. I am told that many people are moving to whitsett, because is is outside the city and people are tired of rising crime rates within Greensboro. This is just what I am told. There is a very nice shopping center called Alamance Crossing nearby. Lots of new development out there. Several young families from my church live in Whitsett. I may buy a home there and send my children to private school, or home school. As a Californian I'm drawn to new development because I am used to new! Other areas I am considering are Some parts of Kernersville (North appears to have better schools) and Mebane. Mebane is on the East side of Burlington. I don't know much about it because I just started researching it.

Good luck with your search. If you need anything feel free to message me. I have honestly given you all the best towns and areas to live in! If you want your children to go to the best public schools....rent an apartment in that area. You will find affordable rent, especially coming from CA. Even in the more expensive areas, you will be able to rent.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:02 PM

2,655 posts, read 6,107,034 times
I also agree with Mr. Rational that you should live as close to work as reasonably possible. I had about a 50 minute commute for a while when my kids were younger, and it just makes everything more of a pain in the rear. School plays, doctor's appointments, teacher conferences, picking kids up from school early because they're sick, etc., become much more of an effort when you work far away from your child's school.

And the good news, as others have mentioned above, is that you can find great places to live in Burlington and the surrounding smaller towns. You'll be just minutes from all the action in Greensboro when you want more activities, yet you'll be close enough to your child so you can deal with all the issues that invariably happen.

Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point