Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 01:47 PM

7 posts, read 12,634 times

Advertisements

I just had my 1st interview for a job in Burlington NC and have a couple questions regarding moving to the area. I understand that one interview does not mean that I will get a job out there but if I do become employed I will only have 3 weeks until they will expect me out there to start so I am doing research now so I am prepared.

I believe the commute to a job in Burlington is do-able if I live in Greensboro or Mebane, please correct me if I am wrong. If there are other areas that are nice please suggest....(I also put a very similar post in the Research Triangle Forum)

I am a single mother, to a 10 year old girl, moving from rural California. My questions are:

1.) Are the two areas, Greensboro and Mebane nice areas to raise children?

2.) What schools are good in the area? Are there good after-school programs that my daughter can go to in the area that you recommend?

3.) What neighborhoods are good to live in?

Thank you for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 06:24 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM1 View Post
I just had my 1st interview for a job in Burlington NC and have a couple questions regarding moving to the area.
This applies generally... whatever city or town you might eventually find work in.

With a cross country move and no local support the last thing you need is the time or the expense
of a daily commute to deal with as well. Find an apartment and school to rent that is CLOSE to work.
Close enough to work that you could walk or bicycle to get there.

Rent for a year and make everything else, including the kid's school, work round that.
Google the address of the office... open the map then "search nearby" for apartments and schools.
Make the best logistical compromise you can.

After a 8-10 months time, when you know your status and stability with the company...
and even if you want to remain, then look into what other options for rentals and schools that may suit...
(all of which will probably cost you more money and more time to make work).

Old 09-28-2012, 12:57 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
Greensboro is not that far away at all. Once you leave Guilford County you are in Burlington. Greensboro has better schools and better neighborhoods.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:18 PM

7 posts, read 12,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Greensboro is not that far away at all. Once you leave Guilford County you are in Burlington. Greensboro has better schools and better neighborhoods.
Thank you!

Old 09-28-2012, 05:39 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
gsoboi78 is biased to Greensboro. That's not a negative, but something to take with a grain of salt. Do not discount the possibility of finding good schools and neighborhoods in Burlington or Mebane before doing thorough research. Yes, Greensboro is bigger with more variety, but "better" is quite subjective. Mr Rational has given you more unbiased and (in my opinion) well-reasoned advice.

There aren't many people on this forum from Burlington/Alamance County, so you may have a little difficulty in getting specific recommendations for neighborhoods and schools. IF you get the job, I would hope people at your new company would be able to help with good advice.

Mebane straddles the Alamance/Orange county line. The Orange County schools have a superior reputation, or at least used to - I don't have children so I don't keep up with that. I don't know anything about the specific schools on the Orange side of the Mebane area, but it's something to look into.

Good luck!!!

Old 09-28-2012, 07:13 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
gsoboi78 is biased to Greensboro. That's not a negative, but something to take with a grain of salt. Do not discount the possibility of finding good schools and neighborhoods in Burlington or Mebane before doing thorough research. Yes, Greensboro is bigger with more variety, but "better" is quite subjective. Mr Rational has given you more unbiased and (in my opinion) well-reasoned advice.

There aren't many people on this forum from Burlington/Alamance County, so you may have a little difficulty in getting specific recommendations for neighborhoods and schools. IF you get the job, I would hope people at your new company would be able to help with good advice.

Mebane straddles the Alamance/Orange county line. The Orange County schools have a superior reputation, or at least used to - I don't have children so I don't keep up with that. I don't know anything about the specific schools on the Orange side of the Mebane area, but it's something to look into.

Good luck!!!
This. Excellent post.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:51 PM

322 posts, read 666,476 times
I'll second you, JoeTarheel, wholeheartedly. Boi only needs a set of pom-poms and a megaphone and the Gboro's Visitors Bureau would pay to get him off his *ss and stop commandeering the chatrooms and message boards. People are looking for objective advise...not bias posturing.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:21 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
He asked about Greensboro and Burlington. After reading the forum, I'm sure he knows you guys have it out for Greensboro.

JMM1 to be clearer, Greensboro has more parks greenways, more family attractions such as the Greensboro Children's Museum, Natural Science Center, Wet'n Wild waterpark and better schools. I've been to Burlington and I think you will discover Greensboro has nicer neighborhoods as well.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:53 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
This applies generally... whatever city or town you might eventually find work in.

With a cross country move and no local support the last thing you need is the time or the expense
of a daily commute to deal with as well. Find an apartment and school to rent that is CLOSE to work.
Close enough to work that you could walk or bicycle to get there.

Rent for a year and make everything else, including the kid's school, work round that.
Google the address of the office... open the map then "search nearby" for apartments and schools.
Make the best logistical compromise you can.

After a 8-10 months time, when you know your status and stability with the company...
and even if you want to remain, then look into what other options for rentals and schools that may suit...
(all of which will probably cost you more money and more time to make work).
^^The best advice so far^^
I'm not sure why the OP selected two cities with such sharp contrast as candidates for relocation, but moving from a rural area a larger city may be to much of a jolt.
Smaller cities to consider would be Mcleansville, Gibsonville, Whitsett, Elon, Snow Camp, Graham, or Browns Summit if you choose not to follow MrRational's advice.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:06 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
He asked about Greensboro and Burlington. After reading the forum, I'm sure he knows you guys have it out for Greensboro.

JMM1 to be clearer, Greensboro has more parks greenways, more family attractions such as the Greensboro Children's Museum, Natural Science Center, Wet'n Wild waterpark and better schools. I've been to Burlington and I think you will discover Greensboro has nicer neighborhoods as well.
Boi, anyone can check your posts to discover your intentions here. It's not as if it isn't all here in black and white.

OF COURSE Greensboro has more everything, given that it is 3 times the size of Burlington. But the neighborhoods are just as nice and the schools are just as good in Burlington as in Greensboro on an individual basis. You can't seriously tell someone that one has better neighborhoods and schools than the other - that just reeks of boosterism.

To the OP: since Burlington is right next door to Greensboro, you can easily enjoy the waterpark, the children's museum, and the science center while living 15 minutes from them. You might want to check out Elon, NC as well...it's really nice and in between Greensboro and Burlington. Town of Elon, NC, Piedmont Triad, Triangle, Elon University
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point