U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
Old 10-03-2012, 11:25 AM
1,045 posts, read 1,536,245 times
Reputation: 325


Originally Posted by laneynewport View Post
I copied and pasted instead of retyping the info re: boats but here's the link b/c there's some other good info there as well. NCDOT: Other Vehicle Types to Register

NC Wildlife Resources Commission
Water Craft, such as boats or jet skis, are not registered with the DMV, but they are registered with the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission. For more information on registering your water craft visit their website.

And their website is NC Wildlife Resources Commission.

To answer your question, I have a 96 Explorer and pay 36 dollars a year for property tax. I have no idea what it's based on but it's low enough that I've never bothered to find out. And back to vehicles, yes- every year before your car registration expires you have to take it to get it inspected. When it passes, the inspection station puts the info online and then you can take your current registration to one of the tag offices to renew it for the next year. The tax bill for the car will come in the mail yearly- it's not paid upon renewing registration but you can pay it online so at least it doesn't require another wait in line and it just takes a couple of minutes : )
$36 for property tax, then how much are the registration tags to the DMV? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Location: High Point, NC
97 posts, read 254,021 times
Reputation: 90
I think it would be $40 for the title, $28 for the plate, the highway use tax which is 3% of the sale price if I'm not mistaken. The HUT is a one-time tax and it goes to the state. You're only charged that when the title is transferred, not every year at registration. You'll get a property tax bill from your county every year and the first one will come a couple of months after you register your vehicle so you don't have to pay that. You'll have to have your ID, proof of insurance and you'll also need proof of NC inspection. It seems like I'm leaving something out though... I think you go in with your ID, proof of insurance, proof of NC inspection within the previous 90 days, and pay the title fee, pay for the plate/registration and the HUT. I might need some backup because going to the tag office is never that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top