U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 02:31 PM

7,529 posts, read 6,149,589 times

Advertisements

I have some family coming in this weekend, and I'll be taking them to Lexington for some BBQ, so who's the best?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 03:20 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,676,966 times
Too bad you can't wait a couple of weeks.

The Barbecue Festival

Old 10-08-2007, 03:21 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,605,991 times
You should tell them hold off til the 27th for the BBQ festival in Lexington.

There is over 18 restaurants to choose from here my favorites and in order

Backcountry BBQ

The Lexington Collection

If your outsider you better have a GPS to find this one but they best bbq and you can get real pork skins to chew on.

My Next favorite is Jimmy's bbq
It also the most easiest one to get to from Charlotte due to it right off the interstate.

Smokey Joes's and Speedy's run neck and neck

And last of the top 5 would be the Lexington BBQ off Bus 85
The Lexington, NC, Barbecue Six~Pack: Jimmy's Barbecue, John Wayne's Barbecue, Lexington Barbecue, Southern / Smiles Barbecue, Speedy's Barbecue, Stamey's Barbecue

The worst in my opinion is the Barbecue Center off Main St. It like stepping into 1954.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:46 PM

57 posts, read 181,437 times
I vote for Speedy's. It is my favorite. They give you a lot of food, and they have good crispy crinkle fries and good crushed ice for your drink of choice (the tea is pretty good there). The chopped barbeque is yummy with more red sauce on the side.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:28 PM

525 posts, read 1,924,881 times
Don't wait for the barbecue festival- waiting in line for an hour to get something you can get anytime is pointless.

Lexington Barbecue (or as we locals call it, The Monk) is good stuff- good Q, great hushpuppies, best sweet tea in town.

Stamey's Q is pretty good- and they have em all over the place.

Speedy's is damn good and they still got the Curb Service, which is nice if you are just picking it up to head out to tailgate or home.

John wayne's is owned by a friend of mine and they have Excellent Q.

The BBQ center isn't as bad as all that- they just don't do anything special. They do have a good BBQ salad. Yes, a salad. With Q on it. Just like you think.

I haven't been to Smokey's in years and years but I remember them being good.

Lexington is my hometown, so let me know if you need directions to anything.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:46 AM

3,491 posts, read 7,861,346 times
of course there is Kerleys outside of Lexington in nearby Welcome, NC. Their's taste more like Stamey's

Old 10-12-2007, 11:28 AM

63 posts, read 210,122 times
yeah, to me the BBQ fest was nothing impressive. Just a bunch fo venders, a few horrible cruel pig races, and a chicken on a stick stand that made me sick.

Its always PACKED and usually you only end up trying ONE kind of BBQ so why not just go anytime and choose just one rest. ya know?!

In my opinion don't go to stamey's ..it's more a chain. There are two here in Greensboro where I live. I like Speedy's the best myself.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:58 PM

525 posts, read 1,924,881 times
The Stamey family has places all over- tryo, greensboro, lexington, thomasville. They are ok.

I can't believe I forgot Kerley's! On number 8 (old winston road) on the way to WS from lexington in beautiful Welcome NC!

Old 10-14-2007, 10:09 AM

3,574 posts, read 13,119,224 times
Lexington BBQ off 64!

Old 10-16-2007, 04:04 PM

4 posts, read 12,306 times
A name like Lexington Barbecue gives a business a lot to live up to, and they do it. I like to send people there who are new to this type of barbecue because it tends towards the mild, mainstream end of the spectrum. The hotter recipies elsewhere are more likely to be favorites of those who have been eating this stuff all their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point