U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 04:36 PM

2 posts, read 15,849 times

Advertisements

We're possibly relocating to WS. Need info on surrounding areas--Lewisville, Clemmons, Advance, etc... Are there some of these areas to avoid for schools? Looks like Clemmons area has some good schools. I read school reports, would rather have personal opinions.
If possible, are there any good private schools recommended? What about family friendly communities. Looking for nieghborhood with activities, pool and relatively new (no older than 6 years). The real estate websites are overwhelming with selections.... The houses are so small for the price! I live in TX and have a 4 BD, 3000 sf home and it's in a NICE neighborhood and it's worth $240,000! Won't get that there.... Are there any areas with larger SF homes that aren't 500K? Looking in the upper $200-low300s. I would appreciate any info! Also looking for a good Methodist church that has lots of young families.
Thanks!
Txgal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2006, 09:36 PM

30 posts, read 74,166 times
Default TX vs. NC

txgal,

Why are you leaving Texas if I may ask? We're considering the Austin or New Braunfels areas or maybe Dallas. I guess you could say we're open. Anything to get out of Calif. I grew up in NC, the W.S. area was close by. Was nice when I was a kid. It seems the house prices you were quoting were a bit high for what I've seen in NC. I agree that homes are a bit less expensive in TX but the property taxes make up for that. (2 1/2 - 4%). Here it is 1%. That's what makes it hard for us to decide. We're a 1 income family, I stay at home with 3 young children.

We were also considering NC. Just don't know. It'll come down to where we can transfer through my husband's job. I'm also not fond of humidity. Heat I have to deal with being in the desert of CA, but humidity makes it worse, not to mention bugs!!

Well any info would be helpful. Thanks

Moveme

Old 03-27-2006, 09:59 PM

2 posts, read 15,849 times
Well, not wanting to leave my homestate, but hubby's job might take us there. I've lived all over TX now and love it all. New Braunfels is GREAT town! Perfect location, but still slow paced. Austin is pricey and very trendy now. Dallas...hmm haven't done that one, but wouldn't want to live there myself. San Antonio is a great family town. It's big, but not too big like Dallas & Houston. Tx is diverse and beautiful--humidity in parts.
Actually, NC is only other state I would've considered. Beautiful, mountains, beaches... I stay at home w/my 2 boys too and would hate to be apart from family that all lives here. But will do if need be. Just want to find area where schools are good. Yeah, taxes looked much lower than what we pay. Are the schools really behind?
Thanks for any input
txgal

Old 03-28-2006, 05:32 AM

285 posts, read 785,508 times
Default Low Taxes

I was drawn to an area with low taxes in North Carolina.
Sometimes you get what you pay for.
I just picked up the paper this morning to read of a school who fund raised $90,000 for playground equipment, as our Union County Schools do not fund playground equipment.
Is this the norm?
Also, the only school sanctioned sport at the middle school level is basketball. You will pay to play any other sport, buy your uniforms, volunteer coaches, etc. It works, but just know that taxes that are low do effect the kids.
We also have a huge school shortage, and high teacher turnover. Some schools are at near double capacity, with 30 plus trailors on the grounds. I would be happy to pay more taxes so that my child could eat lunch later than 10:30. Every other week recess consists of the children being ushered to a courtyard to sit on a brick wall, not allowed to walk around, just sit for 20 plus minutes. There is not enough room for these children to play. On the good week, they get to use the blacktop and play.
Tax me!

Old 03-28-2006, 06:14 AM

285 posts, read 785,508 times
I replied to this post before I realized that this is a Winston Salem thread. I want to point out that Union County is not near this area, it is Southeast of Charlotte. I saw the statement that taxes seem lower, and the question about schools being behind, and I jumped in.
I have no knowledge of this as it applies to the Winston Salem area, but my point stands, and does apply in my area. You do get what you pay for!
Best,

Peggy

Old 05-30-2006, 02:16 AM

14 posts, read 59,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgal
We're possibly relocating to WS. Need info on surrounding areas--Lewisville, Clemmons, Advance, etc... Are there some of these areas to avoid for schools? Looks like Clemmons area has some good schools. I read school reports, would rather have personal opinions.
If possible, are there any good private schools recommended? What about family friendly communities. Looking for nieghborhood with activities, pool and relatively new (no older than 6 years). The real estate websites are overwhelming with selections.... The houses are so small for the price! I live in TX and have a 4 BD, 3000 sf home and it's in a NICE neighborhood and it's worth $240,000! Won't get that there.... Are there any areas with larger SF homes that aren't 500K? Looking in the upper $200-low300s. I would appreciate any info! Also looking for a good Methodist church that has lots of young families.
Thanks!
Txgal
txgal - I moved to Winston Salem from FL one year ago with my hubby and 2 children, 13 & 8. I tried to stay within the Forsyth County schools because their scores were higher than the rest of the other counties. My children go to Meadowlark Middle and Southwest Elementary which are 2 of the best schools in this county. We pay higher taxes here in Winston than other nearby towns but it is well worth it. (You get what you pay for). I can now afford to stay home and participate in school activities with my children. We all love it here. People are extremely friendly and sweet and polite. I would have loved to discover this place years ago. We looked for homes in Clemmons also. We have my husband's best friend and his wife which live there. They introduced us to North Carolina when they moved here 2 years ago. Clemmons is a very good area, so is Lewisville and Advance. You seem to be well informed. I can't tell you about specific neighborhoods in these areas since I'm still new here but I can tell you that we looked for homes in Winston, Clemmons, Lewisville, Advance and Mocksville. I don't like Greensboro just because it's congested and being from Miami, FL I wanted to stay away from that. I can also tell you that homes here are going up in value due to the demand. We moved here only a year ago and we were able to buy a home with 4400 sqft, in half acre lot, with a pool for $314,000. My husband has been keeping up with the real estate here and now the same home would be worth $400,000+. I hope I gave you some light on your questions. Good luck with your move and I'm sure you will feel as welcomed as my family and I did!

Old 05-30-2006, 11:40 AM
JAS

494 posts, read 1,208,550 times
Default Greensboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylenay
I don't like Greensboro just because it's congested and being from Miami, FL I wanted to stay away from that. ...

I can also tell you that homes here are going up in value due to the demand. We moved here only a year ago and we were able to buy a home with 4400 sqft, in half acre lot, with a pool for $314,000. My husband has been keeping up with the real estate here and now the same home would be worth $400,000+.
I don't think that Greensboro is congested at all - I have found that you can easily get from one side of town to the other. The Wendover Ave corridor with all the big-box stores can be rough at times, but that is the exception to the rule.

Also, I would say that your real estate example is also an exception. I will admit that I'm not very familiar with real estate in Clemmons, but real estate in general throughout the Triad hasn't seen huge jumps like that in recent years. Given the size of the house you mentioned, it sounds more like you got the house for a steal last year for just over $300k!

As a general reply, the better schools in Forsyth County tend to be in the western part of the county (Clemmons, Lewisville, etc).

Old 05-30-2006, 12:41 PM

14 posts, read 59,970 times
Like I said, I'm still new to the area but driving around looking for homes in Greensboro seemed to remind me of a larger city and that is what my family and I were trying to get away from. Many people moving from large cities are not ready to make the change and move to a more slower paced and relaxed suburban neighborhood away from these larger cities but for us that was exactly what we wanted and got. I am away from city life (traffic, congestion, hustle and bustle) yet it takes me 10 minutes tops to get to the Hanes Mall area where I do my shopping and groceries. As for my home, yes, we did get a great deal and it might be an exception but there are still many good deals here in NC anywhere. When you've lived in places like Miami, FL, or NY or CA you know how to appreciate a good real estate deal. From personal experience I've witnessed homes with zero lots and under 1500 sqft go from the 300k and up, homes that were built only 10 years ago and sold for less than 100K. So practically anything in NC is a good deal. NC home values might not go up as fast or drastic for now but I have see a bigger difference in the past year due to transplants like myself looking for a better quality of life and a more family oriented community.

Old 05-30-2006, 08:10 PM

2,657 posts, read 5,022,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylenay
Clemmons is a very good area, so is Lewisville and Advance. You seem to be well informed.
A new middle school is currently under construction in Advance. Some old coot left 40 acres to the county with the stipulation that a school would be built on the site I believe it is to be named for him; current construction leads me to believe it might be ready for the next school year.

The growth in Davie county is creating the need for a new high school, but a recent bond issued failed. There is a bit of a class squabble in that county. The HS would be built to serve the explosive population on the eastern side of the county, which is more upscale than the western side. <snark/>I suppose the people on the western side don't care to fund a new school for the snotty, rich kids on the east side </snark>

Old 06-24-2006, 08:55 PM

21 posts, read 60,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgal
Thanks!
Txgal
Hi
I moved to NC 6 years ago. I have lived in 3 different locations in the Winston Salem neighborhood. I love Clemmons. People are good and is 2 exits from the Mall. You can find good houses in the range of 240-300K (2400-3000 sq ft). A lot of custom built homes. A real large UMC is in Clemmons. Prices are going up though. Good time to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point