U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 11:10 AM

3 posts, read 9,177 times

Advertisements

I'm new to this forum, and tried to search around for my answer, but had problems finding it. I'm a 38 swf (no kids/never married) business professional, looking to relocate from Clearwater, FL to NC. I don't want all the traffic and congestion I've heard complained about in Charlotte and Raleigh. I have enough of that where I live now. I was wondering if any of you could give me some input on the singles & culture scene in the Greensboro/Salem-Winston/H.P. area, for my age group.

I do want a city with some culture and decent night life (I do enjoy a good pint or glass of wine), and great food, but am not desiring to live in a N.Y.C. I'm not a big partier, but I do like a good social scene available. On the flip side, my mother wants to live in the same area that I choose to settle down, so I want to be sure it is an area she would enjoy too. Am I looking at the wrong N.C. city area? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 12:11 PM

525 posts, read 1,924,689 times
Greensboro has a booming nightlife (downtown especially these days) for singles and couples, great restaurants (independents and chains), culture and mom could avoid the whole thing if she wants.

Honestly, my wife and I were discussing how if we were younger, we would have a lot more to do now than we did back in the day.

Let me know if I can help.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:49 PM

Thanks for your input, yht! I can definitely use some direction on where would be a good place to live, that is not too bad of a drive into town, if out of town. I would be looking for min 3 bed/2bath. Preferrably something with a quaint feel to it, and safe feeling to the neighborhood (as safe as can be expected anymore). Leaning toward house, but would consider townhouse. Having a neighborhood tavern/shops or hip feeling to the area would be of interest, but am not opposed to the country feel either. I'm still researching other cities in N.C. & T.N., but Greensboro is definitely of interest, and it doesn't hurt to get my research in now to make an informed decision. I won't be moving until next summer. Any input as to towns/areas/villages to start my search would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for chiming in, and it's a bonus that you are in the real estate biz!

Last edited by Bexter; 10-11-2007 at 01:28 PM..

Old 10-11-2007, 12:54 PM

I do love me some NC, and especially Greensboro.

Personal Message me and I will help you any way I can.

Thanks!

Old 10-11-2007, 01:04 PM

1,261 posts, read 3,896,733 times
Greensboro could be good for you (and your mom). You could also check out Asheville. It's in the mountains, so they get more winter weather than we do. And you might have to live in a smaller town outside of Asheville.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:27 PM

Thanks for the input Niki! Snow is definitely out for both of us, although I do enjoy visiting Asheville. Any idea on how the job market has been out in Greensboro? We are both in the I.T. industry, so job availability is definitely important. Any suggestions on places to live that are safe? How about night life? Thanks again!

Old 10-18-2007, 04:24 PM

104 posts, read 302,664 times
Hi,
I have to be frank. I'm 33, married with no kids. Having moved from the Denver metro area we've found this place to be great for retirees and families with young children. Now, from what we've heard the social scene has come a long way especially the Greensboro downtown area but it's pretty much confined to one street (Elm) and believe me it's slim pickings to find a nice wine bar with an eclectic and fun vibe. This is just my opinion, but Winston seems to have a better arts/young professional scene going on. Whenever I head over there it just has a better feel to the nightlife and activity level of it's residents. You might want to come up here for a look around before deciding-I'd strongly recommended it actually.

In regards to jobs you might want to check out Market America. They are hiring new programmers/IT professionals all the time. I'm not sure what the market is like in Clearwater but jobs are pretty hard to come by here and you might need to take a pay cut. I don't think you'll have too hard of a time finding something in your field however-but line something up before you move!!!

Finally, as I'm sure you know there are pros and cons to every place in this world- so if you are looking for a more relaxed, easy going area this might be the place for you. Since I'm close to your age I'd say that our demographic isn't well-represented in the Triad-that is, over 30, single or married with no children who like a night in the city.

Good luck!!

Old 10-18-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markey View Post
Hi,
Now, from what we've heard the social scene has come a long way especially the Greensboro downtown area but it's pretty much confined to one street (Elm) and believe me it's slim pickings to find a nice wine bar with an eclectic and fun vibe.
There's Backstreets and Rioja and Basil's Trattoria on battleground ave- have you missed those? Backstreets is really nice. I prefer it to the crowded places on Elm, but when I hear "nightlife" I hear "hanging out and dancing and lookin for the ladies" which I am not doing these days. Especially since the wife wouldn't approve.

Of course, I grew up in stinky punk rock bars like New York Pizza and Hot tamales so maybe my standards aren't too high!

Old 10-23-2007, 09:02 PM

16 posts, read 53,616 times
I visited both Greensboro and Asheville last Spring, and moved to Denver from San Diego 3 months ago. I have friends and some family (although never hardly see them) here, so it is my transition place. I don't like the dryness here, and want to move someplace with humidity, even if I don't know as many people.
I like Greensboro; it's so liveable in a way that is hard to describe. People are just easy to talk to there and I found quite a few cute spots, but it is like a mini-city, not big enough to keep one stimulated for long... Asheville is more trendy but I felt like there was a level of snobbiness there that reminded me of San Diego! Still, having grown up on the East Coast and around NJ and NY area, I seek a more dynamic vibe. So I'm still searching... like you. I think you have to visit a place, perhaps more than once, to really know whether it works for you.
I'd also like to know more about the towns around Asheville. I'm not sure but I'm either going to go to Seattle or Portland area, or to NC. But sometimes I wonder about Portland, Maine, having heard it's very cool and hip.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerayteex View Post
I'd also like to know more about the towns around Asheville. I'm not sure but I'm either going to go to Seattle or Portland area, or to NC. But sometimes I wonder about Portland, Maine, having heard it's very cool and hip.
Hope you like snow- I have a client from Maine and he used to get to school on a snowmobile!

If Greensboro doesn't have enough to keep you stimulated, then there's Chapel Hill (45 mins), Raleigh (90 mins) Charlotte (also 90 mins), DC and Atlanta are 5 hours, NYC is 10 hours... the beach is 3 hours, the mountains are 2 hours... We're perfectly located!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point