U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2012, 05:16 PM

2 posts, read 5,530 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am considering a move to either Winston Salem or Greensboro in about 4-5 months and looking for guidance if I'm making the right decision or not.

I work for myself so I can live pretty much anywhere I want but I have family in Cleveland AND I travel a lot for work, usually in the Mid-Atlantic and South. So obviously Greensboro is my first choice because of all the highways that converge there, making it easy for me to get on the road quickly (I travel by car almost exclusively).

But I don't know much about the area. Right now I live on the Outer Banks and while I love it, it's almost impossible to afford to live here, so rent and cost of living is important. I'm looking for an area with small apartments in safe areas around $600 per month. Studios are fine.

I'm also 30 and single so moving to an area where people are friendly and easy to approach is a must. And an area with single women is a bigger must!

I work as a sports broadcaster and usually like to work with a small college locally which is another appeal for me since it seems like there are several in that area.

Other things that are nice to have's are a good music club, nice downtown area, arts, local farmer's markets.

If anyone has any thoughts and can provide any info based on what I noted here it would be a big help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 08:51 PM

302 posts, read 536,849 times
Winston-Salem is home to IMG Sports, which handles sports broadcasting contracts with a vast majority of university athletic programs across the country, including Wake, and I think Duke.

Winston-Salem is closer to I77 than Greensboro, which puts you on the link north to Cleveland.

There is plenty to do in the Triad arts related. I was at Reynolda for the Romare Bearden exhibit yesterday, and the house was decorated for Christmas. Also at SECCA, there are everchanging exhibits that are more contemporary. Yesterday, there was an exhibit of local artist Anne Shields and also a mesmerizing display by an artist from India via a gallery in NYC. There is always something going on by the UNC School of the ARts in dance, theatre, and film, or at the HanesBrands Theatre, Little Theatre,
WSSU, Wake Forest, the WSSymphony, Piedmont Opera...and numerous festivals like Magnolia, River Run Film, Feista, Rock the Block, Bookmarks. History wise there is Old Salem, Bethabara, Bethania, MESDA, and the Museum of Anthropology.

Music clubs...there are Ziggys, the Garage, and the venue whereever the Celtic folk music group is meeting.

There are two different farmers markets in the downtown area of Winston-Salem currently that I am familiar with.

It has been about 10-12 year since I lived in Winston-Salem, but before I moved away I lived in a small apartment on Brookstown in the West End for a modest $500/month, and could walk to Hanes Park, and downtown, and to several shops and bars along Burke St. There are no doubt more choices now, with all the lofts and apartments downtown in the renovated Nissen Building, and former factories.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:40 AM

28,487 posts, read 62,101,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschieman View Post
30 and single... I work for myself so I can live pretty much anywhere I want...
I am considering a move to either Winston Salem or Greensboro...
Why? Why to either one?

And an area with single women is a bigger must!

Quote:
I work as a sports broadcaster and usually like to work with a small college locally
Other things that are nice to have's are a good music club, nice downtown area, arts, local farmer's markets.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjdahefhOEQ

Last edited by MrRational; 12-04-2012 at 08:03 AM..

Old 12-05-2012, 09:14 AM

2 posts, read 5,530 times
Thanks for the great info wsnc62, it will be a big help!

Old 12-07-2012, 05:22 PM

13 posts, read 26,473 times
cschieman,

Winston-Salem of course does have Wake Forest University, Greensboro has several small colleges and UNCG. Of course in this area you HAVE to be up on the ACC with Wake Forest, Univ of NC at Chapel Hill, NC State, and Duke all within rock throwing distance. I have a past client that works at WXLV-TV in Winston Salem.

Of course depending on the age group you are looking for an area with single women consider the fact that University of NC of Greensboro use to be an all female school. A liberal arts university is still predominantly female population.

Of course if you are flying to Cleveland then PTI airport in Greensboro is the best place.

There are plenty of pros to all the areas of the Triad.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,955 times
Default Moving to Greensboro NC from San Jose, CA...should I?

Considering to move from San Jose , CA to Greensboro, NC...for more money for the job.
Lower cost of living. I will make more money in long run I ll save money with kids in college.
But, it is nice in Northern California , job and boss are great. It's is just too expensive to live. I can cut down my rent in 2/3 rd, I ll get promotion next year, ect
It is hard to make the decision.

How is it in Greensboro?

Old 03-20-2014, 10:18 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,654,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskoob View Post
Considering to move from San Jose , CA to Greensboro, NC...for more money for the job.
Lower cost of living. I will make more money in long run I ll save money with kids in college.
But, it is nice in Northern California , job and boss are great. It's is just too expensive to live. I can cut down my rent in 2/3 rd, I ll get promotion next year, ect
It is hard to make the decision.

How is it in Greensboro?
Greensboro is a great place to raise a family. If you haven't already, read everything you can find here & elsewhere about Greensboro.

However, I think you might get better responses that will be more specific to your own situation if you start your own thread instead of piggybacking on one that was started by a 30 y.o. single.

Best wishes on your decision-making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point