U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-27-2015, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
4,580 posts, read 4,395,902 times
Reputation: 1488

Advertisements

Here is an article about the demolition

Tanger Performing Arts Center site being cleared in downtown Greensboro - Greensboro - Triad Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2015, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
4,580 posts, read 4,395,902 times
Reputation: 1488
Here is one of the concept designs H3 Architects presented to the city for the Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts. It will be interesting to see if the final design will look similar to this or entirely different. The design is suppose to be revealed this summer with construction starting in the fall. The center will have a giant video screen on the building showing some events in the center as well as for showing information about upcoming events.




One of the concepts for the interior is to have large ceiling panels used as video screens. Another unique feature of the planned center not found in many performing arts centers is to have removable seats for standing concerts


Last edited by gsoboi78; 05-31-2015 at 06:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2015, 08:53 AM
 
279 posts, read 278,400 times
Reputation: 688
So with the Guilford County reps reaching out to the General Assembly for $10m-$15m for the center is it likely that the center isn't going to now be the largest in the state as once planned? The article mentioned that there is no final design yet: "The nonprofit board hasn’t even agreed to a final design, she said."

Source: Is $65 million enough to build a performing arts center? - Greensboro News & Record: News

It's funny that the mayor mentioned Charlotte and Raleigh, but not Durham which is the PAC that Greensboro keeps citing. As far as I know, Durham didn't ask for a grant and it is the largest PAC in the state.

Regardless, I don't think the city is in a good place to ask the state for money since they are now suing the state over the council bill. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2015, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
4,580 posts, read 4,395,902 times
Reputation: 1488
I read this article it means nothing. A few supporters were reaching out to the state for more money to basically pay for more bells and whistles in this facility. I don't think suing the state really changes anything. The current general assembly doesn't seem to support initiative that are pro growth. Even if the city weren't suing the state I doubt the state would give Greensboro the grant. When Charlotte and Raleigh got grants, the political climate in this state was very different. The general assembly was controlled by democrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2015, 10:03 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,302,282 times
Reputation: 8896
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-guy View Post
So with the Guilford County reps reaching out to the General Assembly for $10m-$15m for the center is it likely that the center isn't going to now be the largest in the state as once planned? The article mentioned that there is no final design yet: "The nonprofit board hasnít even agreed to a final design, she said."

Source: Is $65 million enough to build a performing arts center? - Greensboro News & Record: News

It's funny that the mayor mentioned Charlotte and Raleigh, but not Durham which is the PAC that Greensboro keeps citing. As far as I know, Durham didn't ask for a grant and it is the largest PAC in the state.

Regardless, I don't think the city is in a good place to ask the state for money since they are now suing the state over the council bill. Any thoughts?
So what if the Durham PAC didn't ask for a grant, that's their problem. If the money is available and you pass, somebody else will take it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2015, 07:02 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,922,270 times
Reputation: 4077
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I read this article it means nothing. A few supporters were reaching out to the state for more money to basically pay for more bells and whistles in this facility. I don't think suing the state really changes anything. The current general assembly doesn't seem to support initiative that are pro growth. Even if the city weren't suing the state I doubt the state would give Greensboro the grant. When Charlotte and Raleigh got grants, the political climate in this state was very different. The general assembly was controlled by democrats.
The article meant nothing? I guess it would only mean something if it were positive for your city. If it's negative press then it is meaningless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2015, 12:50 PM
 
279 posts, read 278,400 times
Reputation: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
So what if the Durham PAC didn't ask for a grant, that's their problem. If the money is available and you pass, somebody else will take it.
Well a few "what"(s) right off the bat.

The state's largest PAC and the one that Greensboro usually cites as what it would like to emulate did so without a handout from the state. All the while the Mayor is saying - the state needs to play fair and do what it did for other cities. Thus the State can say - there is no need to fund every PAC as we don't do that for every city

Another thing is that if the city needs to get money from the state in order to build out the full design, maybe the full design won't be what was hyped such as the largest in the state. The rationale as Greensboro having that only makes sense if it can afford it. If it can't it's likely you won't have the largest - which I personally don't think is a big deal so much as the reality of the situation.

The last thing is Greensboro suing the state while (rightfully) saying stay out of our internal affairs sort of just shot itself in the foot in asking the state for money for an internal project that is far from essential to the state, the region, or even the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2015, 02:31 PM
 
84 posts, read 120,481 times
Reputation: 40
Regardless if the Tanger Center is the largest in the state or not we can all agree it will be a major upgrade over War Memorial. I think we can all agree it will be a very nice facility that everyone in the triad can enjoy if they so chose and not have to drive all the way out to Durham to see first rate shows. Also I think we can agree that if it the largest or not in the state it will be a significant piece to downtown's revitalization and vitality for years to come. Lastly, the Tanger Center is a major cultural asset that will benefit not only enhance Greensboro's reputation but the entire triad region as a progressive metropolitan area that is seen as putting time, money, and energy into the arts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2015, 09:23 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,302,282 times
Reputation: 8896
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-guy View Post
Well a few "what"(s) right off the bat.

The state's largest PAC and the one that Greensboro usually cites as what it would like to emulate did so without a handout from the state. All the while the Mayor is saying - the state needs to play fair and do what it did for other cities. Thus the State can say - there is no need to fund every PAC as we don't do that for every city

Another thing is that if the city needs to get money from the state in order to build out the full design, maybe the full design won't be what was hyped such as the largest in the state. The rationale as Greensboro having that only makes sense if it can afford it. If it can't it's likely you won't have the largest - which I personally don't think is a big deal so much as the reality of the situation.

The last thing is Greensboro suing the state while (rightfully) saying stay out of our internal affairs sort of just shot itself in the foot in asking the state for money for an internal project that is far from essential to the state, the region, or even the city.
Oh, I get it.
By your logic if the GPAC was identical to Charlotte or Raleigh then asking for state funding would be permissible OR if the GPAC had been built after CPAC but before DPAC then asking for grants would be permissible.
But because Greensboro is billing the GPAC as the largest in the state it doesn't have the right to request grants from the state since DPAC, currently the largest in the state, didn't request grants. Right?
It is true the state can deny the grant, but why does it hurt to ask. It's not as if Greensboro feels the city is entitled to a grant and is suing the state as a result of a denial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2015, 05:47 AM
 
279 posts, read 278,400 times
Reputation: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Oh, I get it.
By your logic if the GPAC was identical to Charlotte or Raleigh then asking for state funding would be permissible OR if the GPAC had been built after CPAC but before DPAC then asking for grants would be permissible.
But because Greensboro is billing the GPAC as the largest in the state it doesn't have the right to request grants from the state since DPAC, currently the largest in the state, didn't request grants. Right?
It is true the state can deny the grant, but why does it hurt to ask. It's not as if Greensboro feels the city is entitled to a grant and is suing the state as a result of a denial.
I never understand when someone asks a question and another answers it and they get kind of offended.

No - I have no problems with Greensboro having the largest PAC - if you are reading into that you may have a inferiority complex or worry about Greensboro not deserving one yourself and projecting that on to me.

My point was clear and logical. If the city is asking for money then maybe the city needs the money. If it needs the money then I guess it has to rethink going large over perhaps not the largest in the state.

Why are you getting your knickers tied about something that simple?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top