U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 09:56 AM

2 posts, read 5,453 times

Advertisements

I recently applied for a job in Greensboro and was hoping to get some feedback from some "locals" about the area. Right now I live in Columbus, OH and love the atmostphere. Great sized city, plenty of night life, a fairly strong art community and pretty liberal without going overboard. I love it here, just don't have a job here (and I hate all the cold!) I'm in my twenties and live a pretty typical "twenty-something" lifestyle, so would like an area within the city that is close to some casual bars. I also love the look of Columbus' Victorian Village and Short North. Beautiful old victorian homes with lots of character and plenty of young folks. Are there any areas similar to this in Greensboro? From what I've heard, all the fun is in Raleigh, but let me know what you think. DETAILS are appreciated. "It sucks" isn't what I'm looking for. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 10:28 AM

4,594 posts, read 4,410,307 times
The downtown area and surrounding neighborhoods. There are a lot of bars, restaurants and nightclubs downtown and the center-city is surrounded by historical neighborhoods that kind of resemble the areas in Columbus you mentioned. Short North reminds me of South Elm Street in downtown Greensboro. There are three major apartment complexes downtown as well as apartments over store fronts on South Elm Street. The downtown Southside neighborhood has a variety of architecture (New Orleans French Quarter, Charleston, SC and Georgetown styles) Some of the historic neighborhoods that border downtown (Aycock, Fisher Park and College Hill) have examples of Victorian, Queen Anne, Tudor and craftsman style homes.
Currently a greenway loop with art is being constructed around downtown. The ballpark is downtown also.

Here are some weblinks about the downtown area

http://downtowngreensboro.net/
http://www.fisherparknc.org/
http://www.historicaycock.org/

proposed mixed-use development at the south end of downtown

http://www.southelmstreet.com/

downtown apartments

http://www.cityviewatsouthside.com/

http://www.greenwayatfisherpark.com/

http://www.greensboroughcourt.com/

downtown greenway

http://downtowngreenway.org/

Last edited by gsoboi78; 12-20-2012 at 10:50 AM..

Old 12-20-2012, 10:40 AM

2 posts, read 5,453 times
Wow, thank you so much. That's great information. Exactly what I'm looking for! THANK YOU!!

Old 12-20-2012, 11:32 AM

28,508 posts, read 62,217,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbower View Post
Right now I live in Columbus, OH and love the atmostphere. Great sized city, plenty of night life,
a fairly strong art community and pretty liberal without going overboard.
I love it here, just don't have a job here (and I hate all the cold!)
Is the intention to relocate out of Ohio "for the rest of my life"?
or is it about "I need to make a living for a couple years"?

If the latter... you'll be fine.
The former? I'd keep looking for other job offers.

In 15 or 20 years when you're married and have kids and are looking for that whole
picket fence, little league and church on Sunday thing... that'll be different.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:12 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,314,882 times
^^ Ignore the above post, in addition to gsoboi's response this is a good place to raise a family also.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:37 PM

3 posts, read 5,266 times
I moved down here from Cincinnati a little under 4 years ago right after graduating from UC. Here is my take.

Pros:

Greensboro has a fantastic park system that far exceeds anything in Ohio cities
The climate is dang near perfect for me
The parks have leagues (kickball etc.) great way to meet people
Very affordable place to live
Decent selection of local beers, food etc. (red oak for the win natty greenes is solid)
Very green, as in lots of trees in the city
Easy access to mountains (2.5 hours) and beaches (3 hours) probably can't do day trips, but overnight trips are easy to swing
Greensboro is a very safe city, I feel like I can walk around by myself after dark and don't feel like someone is going to mug me

Cons:
The nightlife isn't even close to what you have in Columbus but it is still decent
Not a real walkable city, you pretty much need to drive everywhere
doesn't have a real urban feel (this can be a pro or a con I guess depending on your tastes)

I would look around fisher park or lindley park if you want to live in a walkable neighborhood, if not I would look around northwest Greensboro

Last edited by CincinnatiBearcat; 12-23-2012 at 05:54 PM..

Old 12-31-2012, 09:54 AM

17 posts, read 21,876 times
We are also from Columbus, OH but currently live in Winston Salem. Which is 25 mins from Greensboro! We love the weather and people are super friendly. I can remember the day a guy started talking to me at the gas station, I was thinking.....what is wrong with this person and why is he talking to me, lol! Everyone is super friendly! But I do miss the shopping....Easton and the night life is better in Ohio hands down! If you are looking for somewhere with a lot of young people I would suggest Charlotte! It also has a better night life!

Old 02-12-2013, 04:39 PM

774 posts, read 1,615,815 times
Default What's missing..

I'm suddenly struck by "what's missing" in all these threads about places being boring.
More often than not, the conversation revolves around, "Shopping" and "bars/nightlife/and places to eat.

On a fluke, I started web searching community colleges in the Greensboro and Winston-Salem areas.

I'm wondering if people who feel areas like these are boring have taken advantage of the various types of continual and adult education programs offered at various schools in and around the area?

Arts and Crafts classes, Stained Glass, Sculpture... home wiring, carpentry, floral design, landscaping, computer courses, quilting, automotive, career certificates, music, the humanities, life coaching, GED, counseling programs, plumbing, Health Services & First Responders...

I'm wondering if people take advantage of all the that there is to offer before they said, "this area is boring"?

Old 02-12-2013, 05:32 PM

28,508 posts, read 62,217,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
I'm wondering if people who feel areas like these are boring have taken advantage of the
various types of continual and adult education programs offered at various schools in and
around the area? ... I'm wondering if people take advantage of all the that there is to offer
before they said, "this area is boring"?
Which demographic is/are this "people" you refer to?
I hope it isn't the 18-25 singles like the OP.

Earlier in the thread I used the "picket fence, little league and church on Sunday thing"
as a way to broadly describe the demographic that I believe will be more comfortable...
and probably most likely to take advantage of the programs and such that you described.

The demographic more interested in shopping, bars/nightlife/and places to eat might
take advantage of some of those CC programs too... but surely not as a starting point.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:51 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,314,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
I'm suddenly struck by "what's missing" in all these threads about places being boring.
More often than not, the conversation revolves around, "Shopping" and "bars/nightlife/and places to eat.

On a fluke, I started web searching community colleges in the Greensboro and Winston-Salem areas.

I'm wondering if people who feel areas like these are boring have taken advantage of the various types of continual and adult education programs offered at various schools in and around the area?

Arts and Crafts classes, Stained Glass, Sculpture... home wiring, carpentry, floral design, landscaping, computer courses, quilting, automotive, career certificates, music, the humanities, life coaching, GED, counseling programs, plumbing, Health Services & First Responders...

I'm wondering if people take advantage of all the that there is to offer before they said, "this area is boring"?
I think many of those who find it boring expect to be spoon-fed activities; unless it is placed right under their nose they won't go look for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point