U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 07:25 AM

7,278 posts, read 13,525,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
but CAROLINABREDCHICAGOAN
i meant that a store in the triangle would be closer to people living way on the east coast...
and although it is classic apartment furniture, i bet people with rental homes near the beach would love to use exactly that kind of thing--inexpensive and hardwearing and modern
And those people can load their SUVs full of flatpacks and drive them down there from Charlotte or some other location up the east coast. I only related it back to the Triad because that's the subject of this thread.

Of course there's a market for cheap, trendy furniture, but if that were the sole criterion for the placement of an IKEA store, there'd be thousands of them. That's not their business model. In most markets they seem to place a store in a central location designed to be a destination and rake in the dough because people are willing to make a little trip to buy the sorts of products IKEA offers because they don't buy that stuff that frequently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 07:57 PM

3,114 posts, read 4,146,756 times
Quote:
but CAROLINABREDCHICAGOAN
i meant that a store in the triangle would be closer to people living way on the east coast...
and although it is classic apartment furniture, i bet people with rental homes near the beach would love to use exactly that kind of thing--inexpensive and hardwearing and modern
NC's coastal population is rather small, and people who live in Northeastern NC are likely to go to DC area Ikeas if they must go to one.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:30 AM

4,899 posts, read 16,620,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
NC's coastal population is rather small, and people who live in Northeastern NC are likely to go to DC area Ikeas if they must go to one.
are you joking? if they put an Ikea in Durham or Raleigh or within an hour of Raliegh, it would still be central for half the state! righ now the one in Charlotte is central for the western part of the state.

i think they should get a map of NC, cut it in half and place an Ikea in the middle of each half!

Old 02-09-2013, 09:44 AM

28,494 posts, read 62,136,122 times
Quote:
i think they should get a map of NC, cut it in half and place an Ikea in the middle of each half!
They think they should get a map of NC, SC, and southern Virginia...
then place an Ikea in the middle somewhere...
and probably as close to the largest city in that and near some interstate's.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:15 AM

4,580 posts, read 4,399,941 times
If they had put IKEA in Greensboro to begin with, they would just need one store to serve Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Charlotte, Durham, Raleigh, Fayetteville and southern Virginia. It would have saved in operational costs. There would be no need to have one in Charlotte and then a second one in Raleigh. Charlotte and Raleigh are within 100 miles of Greensboro. It would have been smart to put it in the center of half the state's population where the state's most important Interstates, I-85, I-40 and I-73/74, all converge. IKEA lovers from Charlotte and Raleigh would commute to Guilford County which just happens to be the center of the home furnishings industry in this state as well as the "home furnishings capital of the world" (High Point). Charlotte and Raleigh don't have to get everything first just because they are bigger. I realize IKEA has a checklist in regards to expansion but they should make some exceptions. The Triad is a unique case. A good argument could have been made for IKEA being built in Greensboro instead of Charlotte.

Greensboro/High Point/Triad area

1) close to 2 million
2) location (center of the three big metros in NC....roughly 6 million people within a 100 mile radius)
3) major interstate highways

4) furniture/home furnishings heritage and a tested market for attracting thousands of people from all over the world for it's international home furnishings market. Each market held twice a year attracts over 100,000 people.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 02-12-2013 at 08:45 AM..

Old 02-12-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
If they had put IKEA in Greensboro to begin with, they would just need one store to serve Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Charlotte, Durham, Raleigh, Fayetteville and southern Virginia. It would have saved in operational costs. There would be no need to have one in Charlotte and then a second one in Raleigh. Charlotte and Raleigh are within 100 miles of Greensboro. It would have been smart to put it in the center of half the state's population where the state's most important Interstates, I-85, I-40 and I-73/74, all converge. IKEA lovers from Charlotte and Raleigh would commute to Guilford County which just happens to be the center of the home furnishings industry in this state as well as the "home furnishings capital of the world" (High Point). Charlotte and Raleigh don't have to get everything first just because they are bigger. I realize IKEA has a checklist in regards to expansion but they should make some exceptions. The Triad is a unique case. A good argument could have been made for IKEA being built in Greensboro instead of Charlotte.

1) close to 2 million
2) location (center of the three big metros in NC....roughly 6 million people within a 100 mile radius)

4) furniture/home furnishings heritage and a tested market for attracting thousands of people from all over the world for it's international home furnishings market. Each market held twice a year attracts over 100,000 people.
They have a centralized location to serve everywhere you mentioned, plus South Carolina, now. It's in Charlotte.

Plus, why would they want to antagonize the High Point furniture crowd? There's no margin in it.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:22 AM

2,648 posts, read 6,085,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post

1) close to 2 million

Geez, you're pretty worked up over this Ikea thing, aren't you? I think the Triad is just fine with or without it.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:11 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,305,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
They have a centralized location to serve everywhere you mentioned, plus South Carolina, now. It's in Charlotte.

Plus, why would they want to antagonize the High Point furniture crowd? There's no margin in it.
Antagonize the HP furniture crowd? Do tell.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Antagonize the HP furniture crowd? Do tell.
High Point's a center of the old guard furniture industry. IKEA is everything that those guys aren't, in both good and bad ways. Seems like plopping an IKEA down in HP's back yard would be like putting a flagship Toyota dealership in Dearborn, MI.

Not that I'd expect that to influence any company's placement decisions, but it does seem like a little salt in the wound.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:14 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,305,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
High Point's a center of the old guard furniture industry. IKEA is everything that those guys aren't, in both good and bad ways. Seems like plopping an IKEA down in HP's back yard would be like putting a flagship Toyota dealership in Dearborn, MI.

Not that I'd expect that to influence any company's placement decisions, but it does seem like a little salt in the wound.
Good response.
It wouldn't be as bad as you might think; the HPFM caters to a specific group: furniture buyers. The average salary in High Point is around 40k/yr which means there are a bunch of people who can't afford the type of furniture on display at the HPFM. Additionally, not much furniture is produced there anymore and hasn't been for many years. An IKEA in High Point would fit the demographic in the area better than Furnitureland South would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point