U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 04:54 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,329,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
Carowinds takes majority of the states tourists in terms of the waterparks. You pay a little more and get an amusement park and waterpark in one. I'd say people from Greensboro go to Charlotte more often.
I would say you were wrong, otherwise there wouldn't be a water park in Greensboro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Carowinds also gets SC visitors. SC folks are much more apt to go to Carowinds than Emerald Pointe in general. And I'm not just talking about folks in Rock Hill. People from Aiken go to Charlotte for the shopping. I know because I used to live in Aiken and would go to Charlotte every few months as would friends of mine.

With the Olympics, every event is NOT held in the host city. Look at Atlanta. The equestrian events were held over an hour from the city! Many other events were held far away as well. This is typical of the Olympics.

The Triangle will get just about anything long before the Triad. Why? MONEY! Population as well. For some reason, Durham doesn't seem to compete with Raleigh like Winston-Salem competes with Greensboro.
This makes sense, why tack on 1.5 hours to your trip when it's not necessary.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:49 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,838,544 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure IKEA Charlotte is one of the largest in the U.S. chain.

A second store isn't going to be built in North Carolina. Georgia only has one store, despite Atlanta's 5M+ metro.

Even the possibility, the store would be built in Raleigh/Durham as said before.
I have been to Ikea's all over the country including the one in Charlotte and nothing about it seemed particularly larger than normal. For the most part, Ikea's mostly feel the same size to me though I am sure that some might be tighter on space due to land costs and being squeezed into smaller properties.....a problem that the Charlotte site does not have. The site in Sunrise, Florida is so tight that Ikea built a parking garage and has to have dozens of parking monitors managing the traffic on weekends.

Regarding your comparisons to Georgia and Atlanta, I don't buy them. While GA and NC have similar populations, the make-up of the two states and how population is distributed can hardly be more different. I'll take your word for it that Atlanta has only one store. So what? South Florida is about the get its second Ikea just one county over from its first one and it's similar in population to metro Atlanta. It's not just about the size of the metro, it's about the demand for the products.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:29 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,796,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The site in Sunrise, Florida is so tight that Ikea built a parking garage and has to have dozens of parking monitors managing the traffic on weekends.

I'll take your word for it that Atlanta has only one store. So what? South Florida is about the get its second Ikea just one county over from its first one and it's similar in population to metro Atlanta. It's not just about the size of the metro, it's about the demand for the products.
The Paramus, NJ and Stoughton, MA (outside Boston) locations also have parking garages. They're built into the store.

According to ikea.com, Atlanta only has 1 Ikea store.

One thing I've noticed about Ikea's since I've been to 3 of them in 3 different states is that they don't just have one demographic. All of the stores have a wide variety of shoppers who aren't American. There are many Europeans, South Americans, and Asians shopping. I hear languages I've never heard before when in an Ikea. I wonder if it is because they're more open to European concepts and designs than typical Americans.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
The Paramus, NJ and Stoughton, MA (outside Boston) locations also have parking garages. They're built into the store.

According to ikea.com, Atlanta only has 1 Ikea store.

One thing I've noticed about Ikea's since I've been to 3 of them in 3 different states is that they don't just have one demographic. All of the stores have a wide variety of shoppers who aren't American. There are many Europeans, South Americans, and Asians shopping. I hear languages I've never heard before when in an Ikea. I wonder if it is because they're more open to European concepts and designs than typical Americans.
It could be due to the global presence Ikea had first. I was watching a documentary about the challenges of Ikea coming to the states. One issue involved logistics; getting the packing and the weight down to keep shipping costs down.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I have been to Ikea's all over the country including the one in Charlotte and nothing about it seemed particularly larger than normal. For the most part, Ikea's mostly feel the same size to me though I am sure that some might be tighter on space due to land costs and being squeezed into smaller properties.....a problem that the Charlotte site does not have. The site in Sunrise, Florida is so tight that Ikea built a parking garage and has to have dozens of parking monitors managing the traffic on weekends.

Regarding your comparisons to Georgia and Atlanta, I don't buy them. While GA and NC have similar populations, the make-up of the two states and how population is distributed can hardly be more different. I'll take your word for it that Atlanta has only one store. So what? South Florida is about the get its second Ikea just one county over from its first one and it's similar in population to metro Atlanta. It's not just about the size of the metro, it's about the demand for the products.
That's a good point and one could be certain if the Charlotte or other locations were seeing a significant number of sales from triad patrons then a plan for a store here would get put on the table.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
It could be due to the global presence Ikea had first. I was watching a documentary about the challenges of Ikea coming to the states. One issue involved logistics; getting the packing and the weight down to keep shipping costs down.
I have wondered what fun challenges they had coming to the US since we have a number of import laws that other countries don't have. Not to mention, shipping from Sweden is a tad higher to the US than say France. Their packaging is an engineering marvel. Their engineers certainly do an amazing job. Makes me laugh when I buy something from some place else and come home with a box half empty filled with styrofoam.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:38 PM

1,356 posts, read 2,298,922 times
The size of a metro doesn't determine whether a store relocates there or not? This is somewhat true. Charlotte is IKEA's second smallest metro (can't remember the other one.) Giving the fact that the Triad is smaller than Charlotte's metro, it isn't likely.

Second, putting a store in the Triad doesn't make logical sense. One in the Triangle does. The Triad store would be too close to the Charlotte store. A Triangle store would be further away and cater to the eastern side of the Triad and the Triangle while the western Triad can continue to go to the Charlotte store.

Not doubting thr Triad, but I think it's common sense to think the Triangle would get a store first.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:41 PM

1,356 posts, read 2,298,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I would say you were wrong, otherwise there wouldn't be a water park in Greensboro
It's called competition. Carowinds attracts over 1 million people a year. Wet 'n Wild attracts just over 500,000 and you can't forget about Dollywood.

Why not drive a little and get more bang for your buck?

Quote:
With the Olympics, every event is NOT held in the host city. Look at Atlanta. The equestrian events were held over an hour from the city! Many other events were held far away as well. This is typical of the Olympics.
An event was even held outside of GA. If Charlotte hosts the Olympics, there's a good chance some venues would more than likely be in Greensboro. But Greensboro get the credit of saying "we hosted the Olympics!"? No.

Quote:
The Triangle will get just about anything long before the Triad. Why? MONEY! Population as well. For some reason, Durham doesn't seem to compete with Raleigh like Winston-Salem competes with Greensboro.
It actually surprised me that the mall in Durham has more "upscale tenants" than the mall in Raleigh.

Greensboro has an Apple store, Winston Salem does not.

Winston Salem has a Coach and H&M, Greensboro does not. Weird.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
It actually surprised me that the mall in Durham has more "upscale tenants" than the mall in Raleigh.

Greensboro has an Apple store, Winston Salem does not.

Winston Salem has a Coach and H&M, Greensboro does not. Weird.
Raleigh has a number of upscale plazas. I don't know about Durham like Raleigh. Triangle Town Center comes to mind. It used to have more higher end restaurants and shops before the economy tanked, but that's the case all over the place.

Much of what WS has is because of the Hanes Mall. Take that away and plenty disappears. I doubt most of the stores in that mall would relocate outside of the mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point