U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 09:48 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,405,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
You're forgetting that Ikea wanted to serve both North AND South Carolina. With a store only in the Triad, they would have lost a great deal of SC. Pretty sure Ikea knows what they're doing and have plans the general public has no idea about.
Atlanta's IKEA is close enough to SC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Standard definition? According to whom?
look it up. Those are roughly the standard definitions

Old 02-25-2013, 10:44 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,768,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Atlanta's IKEA is close enough to SC
Not all of SC! Atlanta was 4 hours away from me without any of the insane Atlanta traffic. Charlotte is 2 hours from where I lived in SC with traffic. I know many people who would go to Charlotte, but not Atlanta. They hate Atlanta's traffic and it was 4 hours away. Why go there when Charlotte is half as far away and has many of the same places?

Old 02-25-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
look it up. Those are roughly the standard definitions
What's your source?

Old 02-26-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Not all of SC! Atlanta was 4 hours away from me without any of the insane Atlanta traffic. Charlotte is 2 hours from where I lived in SC with traffic. I know many people who would go to Charlotte, but not Atlanta. They hate Atlanta's traffic and it was 4 hours away. Why go there when Charlotte is half as far away and has many of the same places?
Its still not too far. There are interstates that connect Atlanta with the bigger cities in SC. The majority of urban centers in SC are in the western/central part of the state (much less than 4 hours) (Greenville/Spartanburg/Columbia)

Quote:
What's your source?
There are a number of sources over the internet that is easy to look up. There isn't just one source

Last edited by gsoboi78; 02-26-2013 at 06:54 AM..

Old 02-26-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Its still not too far. There are interstates that connect Atlanta with the bigger cities in SC. The majority of urban centers in SC are in the western/central part of the state (much less than 4 hours) (Greenville/Spartanburg/Columbia)

There are a number of sources over the internet that is easy to look up. There isn't just one source

Visit Google Maps. Columbia is over 3 hours to Atlanta! Very few people would go to Atlanta on a regular basis from there. Many do go to Charlotte periodically however since it's only an hour and a half away. When I lived in SC, many people would go to Charlotte and not Atlanta and I lived south of Columbia right on the SC/GA state line. And it still took 45 minutes to get to Augusta. Not everyone lives in the large cities and most people don't live right off an interstate.

Why on earth would someone in Rock Hill want to go to Greensboro when Charlotte has a ton more stuff?

If you're saying something you believe to be a fact, have a source to show others.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:12 AM

6,272 posts, read 10,026,790 times
I'd like to point out that the Triad, Triangle, and Charlotte will each have 2 million-plus people by 2030. Florida will be the only southeastern state with more (and larger) 2 million-plus sized metros. With that said, I'm not understanding why NC can't support 3 Ikeas within the next 15 years. Maybe I'm missing something?

Old 02-26-2013, 09:27 AM

7,278 posts, read 13,529,272 times
What is this thread about, anyway? IKEA located in Charlotte, and if they did open an additional store in the area (and, for my money, I think that IKEA may be on the verge of a plateau) it wouldn't make sense to put it in Greensboro now, would it? Not with a store a little over an hour down the road. That Charlotte location beckons down I-85 to the Triad and the Triangle.

But this thread has become about theme parks and the "standard definition" of city sizes? (Which isn't a thing, by the way.) Where are we going with all this?

Old 02-26-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Visit Google Maps. Columbia is over 3 hours to Atlanta! Very few people would go to Atlanta on a regular basis from there. Many do go to Charlotte periodically however since it's only an hour and a half away. When I lived in SC, many people would go to Charlotte and not Atlanta and I lived south of Columbia right on the SC/GA state line. And it still took 45 minutes to get to Augusta. Not everyone lives in the large cities and most people don't live right off an interstate.

Why on earth would someone in Rock Hill want to go to Greensboro when Charlotte has a ton more stuff?

If you're saying something you believe to be a fact, have a source to show others.
Then people from Raleigh aren't going to drive to Charlotte on a regular basis. Its almost a 3 hour drive from Raleigh to Charlotte. IKEA doesn't decide between two cities just because one city has more stuff. As urbancharlotte said, maybe the Triad will have its own IKEA once it passes 2 million. If it really is about population as so many on here are saying it is, Greensboro's proximity to Charlotte wont matter. Charlotte, the Triangle and the Triad will all have over 2 million people and it's not typical in the south to have three metros with over 2 million people next to one another.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:00 PM

302 posts, read 537,389 times
This discussion of IKEA in the triad is useless....it's not going to happen (anytime in the next decade or so anyway).

Just drive to Charlotte if you want to shop at IKEA, and when Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill gets one, you can drive there too. Greensboro is not the center of the universe...maybe yours, but not for IKEA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point