U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 09:56 PM

6,272 posts, read 10,021,726 times

Advertisements

Though there is already an Ikea in North Carolina, do you guys think that the Triad could support a future store? Also, how many of you would support such a store being that High Point is located in the Triad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 10:18 PM

3,114 posts, read 4,145,903 times
I doubt it. Ikeas are destination stores, often attracting shoppers from adjacent states. For instance, before Charlotte had an Ikea, people in NC would drive to ones in Northern Virginia/suburban Maryland and suburban Atlanta. Ikea places its stores in large metro areas. Charlotte and Salt Lake City are two of the smallest metros with an Ikea in the United States. Even Raleigh-Durham is unlikely to get an Ikea within the next decade.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:26 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,656,439 times
I agree with Tarheelhombre; I don't think High Point has anything to do with it.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:34 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,758,877 times
High Point doesn't focus on furniture than costs $200 for a whole couch. A button on a couch from High Point costs $200. There's not enough people or money or distance. Ikea's are stuffed together like WalMarts or Walgreens. There's already one an hour and a half away. How much business would they really do in WS? How much would it take away from Charlotte? They're not going to sacrifice one store to create another one. Far too much $$$$$$$$$ involved.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:00 AM

2,647 posts, read 6,084,360 times
I'm curious as to why you would ask this question. Do you work for Ikea's marketing department?

Old 01-09-2013, 06:19 AM

4,580 posts, read 4,398,216 times
Not for many many years. The problem is that one has already opened in Charlotte, less than 100 miles away. I think it should have been put in Greensboro/High Point from the start because of the home furnishings market and Guilford County's central location between Charlotte and Raleigh. IKEA could have been a part of the home furnishings cluster in Guilford County which already attracts people from other areas in the state. Having it in Guilford County would also save them money because they wouldn't have to have a separate store for Charlotte and a separate store for Raleigh. Greensboro/High Point is close enough for both cities. If IKEA becomes a more common store, I can see it happening. But right now their stores are like destination stores designed to draw people from two or more hours away. The only way IKEA would build two stores less than a hundred miles apart is if there is a very dense high population (like urban areas in the northeast). But on the other hand, Greensboro would be a viable choice for an IKEA distribution center. I know that doesn't sound as sexy as an IKEA store. Recently IKEA did open its first North American manufacturing plant in Danville, VA 30 minutes north of Greensboro. So I can see an IKEA distribution center in Greensboro. Hypothetically If IKEA did open a store in Guilford County it would be interesting to see where they would build it. If it were built in High Point, I could see two options. One if them is more expensive.

HIGH POINT

1) Downtown High Point - (a multi-story compact IKEA with a parking deck would be a great idea. This would change the typical layout of an IKEA store a little. It would be clustered with the home furnishing showrooms in downtown High Point and would be near the International Home Furnishings Center. Great project for downtown revitalization. The downside is land cost and difficulty in finding available downtown real etsate)

2) near the I-85/I-74 interchange - (I-74 in High Point just recently opened the section over I-85. There is plenty of available land near this interchange for an IKEA store. The plus side, it's a high visibility location and is at a crossroads. Residents from Winston-Salem could take I-74 straight there. Residents from SC could take I-73/I-74)

GREENSBORO

1) I-85/South Elm-Eugene St -interchange (loop) (Its a high visibility location and it would be near the Walmart/Lowes shopping center)

I do think if it were built in Guilford County, it would have to front I-85, with exception to a downtown High Point location. There would have to be easy access between Charlotte and Raleigh.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 01-09-2013 at 07:09 AM..

Old 01-09-2013, 07:30 AM

7,282 posts, read 13,523,592 times
Why would that happen? The Charlotte location is mighty close, considering we're talking about a furniture store. It's not like people are making weekly runs, and since the Charlotte location is right on I-85, it's just over an hour from most of the Triad, right?

Considering how relatively rare Ikeas are, I don't see this happening.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:54 AM

Only if IKEAs become less rare. I've shopped in IKEA Charlotte and it is a big place, actually one of the largest IKEA in the country. However its not so big that it should require customers traveling from 2 hours away to support it so I still don't get that. I could understand if the prices were high but in many cases, prices are cheaper than Sears, Garden Ridge, World Market and other common stores all across the Triad. But when you break down the size of an IKEA store, its much smaller. IKEAs are divided into 3 sections: home furnishings, showroom and warehouse. The part of the store that actually sells the home furnishings (lamps, bath/living room/kitchen accessories is actually not that big. That section is actually smaller than a Garden Ridge Home Decor store in Greensboro so it just doesn't make sense to me why IKEA exclusively operates in big metros of 2 million people or more. You might say the Triad could try to land a competitor. But the problem is that IKEA really has no competitors. There are large chains that carry similar products but the prices are far more expensive. I don't even think Charlotte could support some of those stores. If I were planning to start a chain store to compete with IKEA, I would go into markets IKEA wont go into because of their 2 million or higher metro population limits. I think metros with a million people and one or two sizable cities are enough. And the cities don't have to be big like Atlanta, Houston, Boston, ect. I think a new chain could really overtake IKEA because they are leaving SO much territory open. It would actually force IKEA to open more stores.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 01-09-2013 at 10:22 AM..

Old 01-09-2013, 10:10 AM

3,114 posts, read 4,145,903 times
Not that it will happen anytime soon, but if North Carolina gets a second Ikea store it will be in Raleigh-Durham. Raleigh-Durham has the state's fastest growing population, has a CSA population now over 1.8 million (the Triad has a CSA of slightly over 1.6 million), has a large student population, has a higher income (although this is a low-cost furniture retailer), and has a growing hipster population. Moreover, Charlotte is further from Raleigh-Durham than the Triad, and the Potomac Mills store is still almost three hours away.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Not that it will happen anytime soon, but if North Carolina gets a second Ikea store it will be in Raleigh-Durham. Raleigh-Durham has the state's fastest growing population, has a CSA population now over 1.8 million (the Triad has a CSA of slightly over 1.6 million), has a large student population, has a higher income (although this is a low-cost furniture retailer), and has a growing hipster population. Moreover, Charlotte is further from Raleigh-Durham than the Triad, and the Potomac Mills store is still almost three hours away.
You are probably correct. At times the Triad can be blessed being located between Charlotte and Raleigh but other times the Triad can be cursed being located between the two. If IKEA had competition it would likely force them to open more stores. Then you would see IKEA in the Triad and other markets like Greenville, SC, Richmond, VA, Hampton Roads, VA, Jacksonville, Fl ect.

IKEA could also explore the possibility of smaller stores half the size of traditional IKEA stores for markets below 2 million people. "IKEA Express" or something like that. Similar to what Walmart is doing.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 01-09-2013 at 11:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point