Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2013, 11:11 AM

12 posts, read 26,854 times

Advertisements

Hello-
I had posted awhile ago about a Denver to Greensboro move- which we're still trying to figure out. My question this time is about schools. Does NC/any of the counties have an opt in system or are your children stuck going to whatever public school they're assigned to? If there is an open enrollment or opt in option, could you tell me more about it?
We're thinking of looking at places in nw Greensboro or Summerfield, Oak Ridge or Kernersville.

Also, are there any private or religious schools that anyone recommends?
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 11:54 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,615,605 times
I'm not aware of any districts in the area that allow one to choose a specific school. But I didn't really look into it - we chose the area we moved to in 2011 (northeast Davidson County) for the assigned schools.

If you're looking into the Kernersville/Oak Ridge area, First Christian Academy is nearby and private/Christian. However, I don't know anything about it...just have driven by it. We were close to buying in the Harvest Ridge subdivision between Kernersville and Oak Ridge.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:42 PM

676 posts, read 3,068,712 times
I know in Winston-Salem, it is a school of choice where your address is in a specific zone. You have your primary school you are automatically given; however, you may select another school within your zone and will most likely get in. I would recommend going to the different school district's websites. The enrollment period for kindergarten is now and most deadlines seem to be in February.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:30 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,615,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
I know in Winston-Salem, it is a school of choice where your address is in a specific zone. You have your primary school you are automatically given; however, you may select another school within your zone and will most likely get in. I would recommend going to the different school district's websites. The enrollment period for kindergarten is now and most deadlines seem to be in February.
I had no idea one has that option in Winston-Salem. Doesn't affect us, being in Davidson County (and we moved where we did in part because of the assigned schools), but I like the idea of some school choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point