U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 04:12 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,586,358 times

Advertisements

Denton - Jackson Creek Road -
There is an old field in the woods along this road. In this field there is a house that has been abandoned for many years. The reason the house was abandoned was because many years ago there was a murder committed in it. A man came home one day and for some reason he had gone crazy. The man shot his wife outside of the house then went upstairs and shot himself. The blood was washed up outside the house and upstairs where the man committed suicide. After the blood was cleaned up it reappeared the next day and to this day it can't be cleaned. The room upstairs in the house where the man committed suicide has been blocked off so that nobody can go in and see the horrible scene. The blood outside is still there and cannot be removed. It is said that the place is haunted to this very day by those troubled souls.

Elon - Elon University - West Dorm -
In the fire of 1923, a young student named Mary tried to escape the fire and jump from a third story window. Undoubtedly, she died. Mary now haunts West dorm, with such activities such as the chandelier in the parlor swinging back and forth, and the lights flickering on and off. One night, a boy was sleeping in his girlfriend's dorm and he woke up to find Mary looking at him, and his girlfriend was talking to Mary in her sleep. Mary also plays pranks on the residents, such as pushing them over in the halls or messing with their things, such as their computers.
Jamestown - U.S. Highway 70 underpass - AKA Lydia's Bridge -
Just outside of Greensboro, there has said to have been the ghost of a beautiful young girl who has been appearing near Greensboro since 1923. She stands next to the US Highway 70 Underpass in a white evening gown and waves frantically for someone to stop and pick her up. Those hapless travelers who do are introduced to a young woman who says her name is Lydia and she always ask them to please take her to an address in High Point. She always tells them that she has spent the evening at a dance in Raleigh and is anxious to get home, having run into car trouble on the way. Just as the drivers approach the house, the girl always vanishes from their car, never opening the door and getting out.-

Pisgah - Pisgah covered bridge - near Asheboro -
Apparitions of what seems to be a woman hanging from the rafters.

Pisgah - Terror Town -

Located 1 mile past Zooland Campground on Pisgah Covered Bridge Road outside of Asheboro. (.5 mile past Forest Hills) There is an old farmland there with a number of hauntings have reported over the years. The farm is made up of about 18 acres with several farmhouses scattered throughout. A little girl's voice is heard deep in the forest. A boy who hung himself there haunts the upper farm. An old lady and her husband haunt one of the houses. Her brother died in the woods near the house and can now be heard singing at night while he makes moonshine. A shadow of a black horse is seen running through the woods and then vanishes. There is a company who uses the location now for a haunted attraction called Terror Town so it is very easy to access during hours when they are there working. One of the staff lives at the park so don't try to visit this one without permission. They let us take a tour with no problem and even showed us some cool stuff.

Winston - Salem - Forsyth County -
In the early 90's a young man commited sucide by jumping off the old Wachovia building in downtown Winston Salem head first and died.. It happen at 12pm durning Lunch hours. Now on the Anniversary of the man's death you can see him jumping off the old building but when he hits the ground there nothing there. A former worker says alot of people reported being pushed or feeling someone touch them while up on the roof top of the old building.

Winston - Salem - Salem College for Women - Clewell Dorm -

Clewell Dorm has the ghost of a young girl child that fell down the, now boarded up, elevator shaft. Strong friendship room in Strong dorm has a spirit in it who likes to "uncover" people while they are sleeping.

Winston - Salem - Salem College for Women - Fine Arts Center -

There is a phantom of the Fine Arts Center who can be heard walking down the halls late at night and who likes to play the pianos and organs.

Winston - Salem - Salem College for Women - Gramley Dorm -

Located right down the street from Gramley Library. In the Gramley dorm, it is said that the floor, which is now the third floor of the building, was once the attic. Long ago, a girl went up to the attic and hung herself. It is said that at night, girls on the second floor can hear the girl's spirit dragging a trunk across the floor to where she is going to hang herself. No one on the third floor can hear it though. Also in this building, people on the second floor have heard marbles dropping on the ceiling and rolling across the floor. Reports of furniture being moved when no one is in the room, random knocking on open doors and the presence of a female ghost also occurred in this building.

Winston - Salem - Salem College for Women - Gramley Library Building

there is said to be strange apparitions and screaming coming from the third floor. Rumor has it that 2 girls back in 1907 died by electrocution. Many claim to hear the cries and see the lights at least once a week.

Winston - Salem - Theatre #2 -

A man died in this theatre and things have not been the same since. Employees have reported numerous problems with the projection booth equipment that cannot be explained. The problems get progressively worse the closer it gets to Halloween. People have also claimed to see apparitions and hear strange noises. Some employees have even quit because of the ghost.

Winston-Salem - Salem College - Babcock Dormitory -

There is a picture of Mary Reynolds Babcock (daughter of R.J. Reynolds tobacco typhoon)hung in the lobby of the Babcock Dormitory. It is said by many students that Mary's eyes will follow you while your walking by. To avoid negative looks, the students frequently say hi to Mary Babcock's picture, and bye when they exit the building.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 08:33 PM

525 posts, read 1,924,223 times
These are awesome. Lydia's ghost doesn't appear to passing cars anymore because she hangs out at the original bridge which is about 100 yards away from the current one. Great story tho.

Anyone have any others? I love this stuff.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:11 PM

183 posts, read 511,743 times
Default where?

Is this a HAlloween themed attraction? Or is it yearround? Is there an address---i can't seem to find it on the web!!!
Craig

Pisgah - Terror Town -
Located 1 mile past Zooland Campground on Pisgah Covered Bridge Road outside of Asheboro. (.5 mile past Forest Hills) There is an old farmland there with a number of hauntings have reported over the years. The farm is made up of about 18 acres with several farmhouses scattered throughout. A little girl's voice is heard deep in the forest. A boy who hung himself there haunts the upper farm. An old lady and her husband haunt one of the houses. Her brother died in the woods near the house and can now be heard singing at night while he makes moonshine. A shadow of a black horse is seen running through the woods and then vanishes. There is a company who uses the location now for a haunted attraction called Terror Town so it is very easy to access during hours when they are there working. One of the staff lives at the park so don't try to visit this one without permission. They let us take a tour with no problem and even showed us some cool stuff.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:45 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,586,358 times
Base on the information they have an attraction around Halloween but the spooky side is year round but considering it is on private property I would suggest getting permission to enter the property before entering.

Good luck!

Old 10-22-2007, 10:35 PM

1,261 posts, read 3,895,925 times
There's also the devil's tramping ground near Siler City. I've been there once. Let me see if I can find anything about it online.

Devil's Tramping Ground

The Devils Tramping Ground

"The Devil’s Tramping Ground can be found just outside of Siler City, in central North Carolina. Take Highway 421 south, nine miles to County Road 902. Go six miles west to Harper’s Crossroads, then turn north on County Road 1100. In two miles, a signpost indicates the area."

Other stories, including the devil's tramping ground:

NC Legends & Ghost Stories

There are a lot of them here:

Shadowlands Haunted Places Index - North Carolina

Ghost stories from the coast:

Tales From The Coast!

Old 11-08-2008, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 22,361 times
It was during the 70's that the man jumped off the Wachovia building in downtown Winston-Salem. I've never heard any haunt stories though and I've lived here all my life...almost 50 years now.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:14 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,670,044 times
Default Stokes County Murders

On Christmas Day 1929, Stokes County tobacco farmer Charlie Lawson killed his wife and six of his seven children, then committed suicide. It has never been confirmed why.

I'm still planning to visit the gravesite of the Lawson Family and the covered bridge that was constructed from the lumber of the family's cabin and barn where the murders took place. Both locations are alleged to be haunted.

Charlie Lawson - 43
Fannie Lawson - 37

Arthur - 18 (wasn't home at the time of the murders)
Marie - 17
Carrie - 12
Maybell - 7
James - 4
Raymond - 2
Marylou - 4 months

NC Public Radio - http://wunc.org/tsot/archive/sot1220a.mp3

Last edited by mm34b; 11-08-2008 at 12:13 PM..

Old 12-09-2008, 09:18 AM

3 posts, read 66,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourhometriad View Post
These are awesome. Lydia's ghost doesn't appear to passing cars anymore because she hangs out at the original bridge which is about 100 yards away from the current one. Great story tho.

Anyone have any others? I love this stuff.
This is true.
If you want to visit the original bridge, just take High Point road from Greensboro towards Jamestown... as you approach the bridge (near GTCC campus) take the last road on the left before the actual bridge. Simply go up the hill and park.

You'll notice the train-tracks that run across the bridge, and the slopes are pretty well overgrowm with weeds & ivy & such. But look closer, and you'll find a footpath that takes you to the old tunnel.

I've been told by trusted friends (especially around Halloween) that their attempts to visit have been in vain, because the local police keep an eye for teenagers wandering the place, and also because the property is owned by Southern-Norfolk Railroad... therefore it's "trespassing".

So, if you want to visit, go ahead -- just avoid the Halloween season.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna61060 View Post
It was during the 70's that the man jumped off the Wachovia building in downtown Winston-Salem. I've never heard any haunt stories though and I've lived here all my life...almost 50 years now.
Perhaps two men jumped off, b/c I actually remember living in Winston in the early 1990's, and reading about this in the paper. (Additionally, I recall hearing that it was not his first attempt - he'd tried a few times but security had stopped him first.)

Anyway, I'd like someone to post the "anniversary date" so that I can check it out myself.

And one more thing -- having spent a lot of time in Winston-Salem, I think it might possibly be the most haunted area in NC... it definitely has a very weird vibe to it. (Reynolda Gardens at night, Old Salem, all the Salem College stories, etc...)

just my opinion.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
On Christmas Day 1929, Stokes County tobacco farmer Charlie Lawson killed his wife and six of his seven children, then committed suicide. It has never been confirmed why.

I'm still planning to visit the gravesite of the Lawson Family and the covered bridge that was constructed from the lumber of the family's cabin and barn where the murders took place. Both locations are alleged to be haunted.

Charlie Lawson - 43
Fannie Lawson - 37

Arthur - 18 (wasn't home at the time of the murders)
Marie - 17
Carrie - 12
Maybell - 7
James - 4
Raymond - 2
Marylou - 4 months

NC Public Radio - [URL]http://wunc.org/tsot/archive/sot1220a.mp3[/URL]
If you're talking about Rural Hall (Payne road, which has been re-named since) I know exactly where you speak of. The home has since been burned down, but due to it's remote area (you almost drive down a "canyon" to get to the property) other murders have taken place there.

In the early 1990's, the Winston-Salem Journal ran a cover story on the legacy of the property (I wish I still had it). All it would take is a trip to the library, I guess.

I've been down there a few times, and it is quite creepy. The original home was burned to the ground by a local (police didn't file charges) partly because so many curiosity-seekers went down there.

But as far as I know, the barns and slave quarters, and the bridge are still intact, as well as the foundation of the old house.

One version is in the book "Tar Heel Ghosts" by John Harden (I'm pretty sure of the title)... anyway, it includes a photo of the house before it was destroyed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point