U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 11:13 PM
hge hge started this thread

12 posts, read 32,086 times

Advertisements

We plan to move to Salisbury, NC. We are wondering if there are any shopping mall around Salisbury area. Are there any wal-mart, Sam's club and any major retailing chain stroes within Salisbury area? What kinds of restaurants are in Salisbury area? What about health care? Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 03:03 AM

2,408 posts, read 9,833,191 times
In the township proper, there is a Walmart. There is a mall. There are family restaurants, fast food, fine dining, etc. There's not a big selection, but then again Salisbury isn't a big town. There are Food Lion and Harris Teeter supermarkets.

As far as healthcare goes there are a number of clinics with doctors in private practice. Rowan Regional is the name of the hospital.

A quick drive down I-85 will bring you to Charlotte which has a lot more shopping opportunities (Concord Mills mall is the major shopping center and it is located directly off of the interstate).

Old 10-21-2007, 06:17 AM
hge hge started this thread

12 posts, read 32,086 times
Thank you, Jinxor. How far is Concord Mills mall from Salisbury? Is HomeDepot within Salisbury area? Thanks.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:21 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,586,358 times
Here is link to restaurants in Salisbury. Three places I highly suggest you check out are La Cava - excellent itailian in a historical building,
The Wrenn House
Sweet Meadow Cafe - quaint cafe with very good dishes.

Dining

There isnt a Home Depot but there is a Lowes Home Improvement.

It has nice stadium seat movie theater I would say Concord Mills is maybe 15 to 20 minutes from Salisbury and you can also drive up to Winston Salem to go to Hanes Mall both are very large malls. Hanes Mall is probably 30 to 40 minutes.

There is quite a few antique stores in the downtown and close to antique malls and couple of very large flea markets.

You might be able to find alot of what you are looking for on this website or learn more about the area.
Home

Old 10-21-2007, 11:11 AM

525 posts, read 1,924,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hge View Post
Thank you, Jinxor. How far is Concord Mills mall from Salisbury? Is HomeDepot within Salisbury area? Thanks.
Concord Mills is less than 20 mins away if I remember correctly, before you get to Charlotte proper and you can see it from the highway. So you can hit that huge TJ Maxx!

Old 10-21-2007, 08:19 PM

3 posts, read 12,596 times
Downtown Salisbury is a treasure trove of little shops and a couple of old timey hardware stores. There are a couple of antique malls in the downtown area also. A nice attraction nearby is the NC Transportation Museum in Spencer, NC which actually has an on-site train that you can ride for like $6.00. Admission to the grounds is free, riding the train is optional...

I have shopped in Salisbury since I was a child, and will continue to do so whenever I can. A quaint old historic town with a friendly feeling...

As far as food goes, check out the ice cream shop on the square on main street. I THINK it is called Spanky's. Great little sandwich shop with home made ice cream...mmmm...

Old 10-26-2007, 06:05 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,184,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
In the township proper, there is a Walmart. There is a mall.
A small mall We were there last week and noted that three of the stores have become some sort of game arcade. The other stores are really not to make note of - a shoe store, an entertainment place that seems to change hands each year, IIRC there is a major anchor store, a Goodys, a Hallmark store. Books A Million bought out the independent book store but it doesn't appear that anything changed about it.

Rumor has it that a Target and Best Buy might be built on the land Livingston College owns along Jake Alexander. It will be near the Harris Teeter. Don't hold me to that, though, I haven't read anything recent in the Salisbury Post.

As people noted, Concord Mills is down the road, though it takes longer than 20 minutes, certainly. Traffic becomes heavier each year, and with the development going in between Salisbury and Concord, it will become more onerous to drive down there. For what it's worth, Concord Mills is more a tourist draw than actual shopping, IMO. If you want a variety of clothes shopping, Hanes Mall would be a better choice. From Salisbury, you can make your way up the interstate, connect with I-40 and head over or take the back way up 601, connecting with 158, which takes you right to Hanes Mall Blvd. Those of us who've lived in the area awhile know back roads shortcuts (601->801 - hang a right at Greasy Corners - some 20 miles brings you to I-40 where you can head east // or turn right onto 158 again at Hillsdale. That will take you past Tanglewood, as well).

The Hanes Mall area has gone gangbusters these last few years with a Home Depot and Lowes kitty corner to each other, Petsmart, Costco, Sam's, Best Buy, Circuit City, Barnes and Noble Books, a Marshall's, the ubiquitous Walmart; Starbucks, several furniture stores and ... jeeze, just lots of stuff. And all within a few stoplights of one another.

We go down to Concord maybe once a year. It's something different, though I don't think the snarl of I-85 traffic makes it much worth it, anymore.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:01 PM

3 posts, read 11,891 times
Just moved from Salisbury, They have just recently built a lot a stores near the SuperWalmart located on Arlington Dr. On the other side of town Jake Alexander Blvd, they are building a Target and some other stores, it is growing in the retail business. If you like to small town atmosphere you will love Salisbury.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:10 PM

47 posts, read 200,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
From Salisbury, you can make your way up the interstate, connect with I-40 and head over or take the back way up 601, connecting with 158, which takes you right to Hanes Mall Blvd. Those of us who've lived in the area awhile know back roads shortcuts (601->801 - hang a right at Greasy Corners - some 20 miles brings you to I-40 where you can head east // or turn right onto 158 again at Hillsdale. That will take you past Tanglewood, as well).
I always figured going up I85 towards Lexington, then heading up US52 to I40 would be quicker. It's all 65mph road once you pass the river.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:39 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,184,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniusBugg View Post
I always figured going up I85 towards Lexington, then heading up US52 to I40 would be quicker. It's all 65mph road once you pass the river.
Oh yeah, sure If you're of the mind to do the interstate thing with all its hassles, and x-fingers that someone hasn't biffed their driving and blocked the bridge again with an accident (something that happens with greater frequency these past years). I've been thru that scenario: get routed over to 29 or off one of the exits, through the business part of town, then back. After that, fight the snarl of traffic down I-40 to Hanes Mall Blvd.

Some of us older transplants have, without even thinking about it, adopted that "slow Southern lifestyle" that the newer ones yammer about as an attraction to this part of the country. You know, the lifestyle that they swear they won't change? We make a day of our shopping and want to enjoy getting there as well as being at that destination. That's why the 65 mph route doesn't appeal to us, and we find the back roads way of getting places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point