U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 05:59 PM

127 posts, read 272,159 times

Advertisements

Got it just before the Clemmonsville Rd exit heading north on Hwy 52. The limit there is 55, I thought it was 65 and told the office so, and I was cited going more than 15 miles over the limit. He asked when I was last cited and I told him over 20 years ago. He said to order my NC driving record and the judge would probably reduce it to a lesser charge.

I'm new back in NC and trying to figure out this PJC thing. It's still an option yes? Should I enter it? I plan to appear, very professionally dressed of course, with copy of driving record in-hand, and to plead not-guilty. I haven't been to court in so long that I don't have any idea of the language, order of things, what to expect from insurance company (will be first "offense" while with this company), etc.

Help! Please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 06:06 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,305,804 times
Pay a lawyer to get the ticket reduced so it doesn't show up on your insurance. From what I understand about prayer for judgement is if you get another violation within a certain time frame you get slapped with both violations.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:11 PM

BTW, northbound the speed limit is 55 all the way through to Hanes Mill Rd

Old 02-05-2013, 06:24 PM

Thanks WFW&P. I'm fine with the consequences of PJC. And I know everyone has an opinion and counties/judges/situations vary, but I ran across a couple of people in the Charlotte forum who took their chances not hiring attorneys and faired very rather well (no points, paid fine). I was hoping someone in the Triad would have experience to share. At this point I won't have an attorney for this week's appearance. Just wondering what to say/how to play it on my own.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:33 PM

Can't help you with going on your own, I always paid the lawyers and went about my business. When did the violation occur?
Keep the thread updated with the events.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:45 PM

K, thanks. I will update the thread.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:51 PM

2,648 posts, read 6,085,655 times
Forget the PJC. You won't need it unless you were cited for greatly exceeding the speed limit (although you didn't say exactly what speed you were going), in which case you'd probably also have a careless & reckless driving charge as well. On your court date, take your driving record to the traffic infractions court, courtroom 1B, and wait in line to see the magistrate. He will review your record and likely reduce the charge. Then you plead guilty on the spot and pay the fine. If he doesn't reduce it, you'll still have the opportunity to have your case heard before a judge.

You don't want to use the PJC for a minor charge, because you only get one. If you use it, then later get charged with a more serious infraction, it won't be available to you again.

Good luck!

Old 02-06-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Forget the PJC. You won't need it unless you were cited for greatly exceeding the speed limit (although you didn't say exactly what speed you were going), in which case you'd probably also have a careless & reckless driving charge as well. On your court date, take your driving record to the traffic infractions court, courtroom 1B, and wait in line to see the magistrate. He will review your record and likely reduce the charge. Then you plead guilty on the spot and pay the fine. If he doesn't reduce it, you'll still have the opportunity to have your case heard before a judge.

You don't want to use the PJC for a minor charge, because you only get one. If you use it, then later get charged with a more serious infraction, it won't be available to you again.

Good luck!
In the OP he stated he was cited for speeding in excess of 15 mph over the limit, which was 55 mph. That is grounds to have your license pulled.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:13 PM

19 miles over the limit. (I told the officer that I thought the limit was 65, not 55. He sounded very casual when he said, based on my driving record, that the charge would likely be reduced. Hope so. Again I had one ticket in 25 years which was dismissed. Thanks.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:56 AM

2,648 posts, read 6,085,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
In the OP he stated he was cited for speeding in excess of 15 mph over the limit, which was 55 mph. That is grounds to have your license pulled.

Yes, which is why he should try to plead guilty to a lesser charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9times View Post
19 miles over the limit. (I told the officer that I thought the limit was 65, not 55. He sounded very casual when he said, based on my driving record, that the charge would likely be reduced. Hope so. Again I had one ticket in 25 years which was dismissed. Thanks.
Generally if you're less than 20 mph over the speed limit, they will reduce it to 9 over assuming no aggravating factors and a clean driving record (which you have since it's been 25 years since your last ticket). I think you'll be okay here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point