U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 656 times

Advertisements

I have spent hours and hours on the phone and live chat with TWC & Earthlink trying to get my 90 yr old mother's TWC upgraded to a higher "bundled" plan. She lives in King, NC and I have not been successful trying to make what I consider a simple request. What I have learned is that because Earthlink is the actual internet provider, TWC cannot make any changes to her service. Earthlink just keeps transferring back to TWC & I have yet to get this request processed (despite the fact that I am offering addidtional revenue to ? - can't figure out why TWC does the billing, receives the revenue but can't make changes to her service. Anyone have any other suggestions? I live in GA but am planning to be in King two weeks from now.
Would so much appreciate anyone's input - all I want is to give my mother a little more happiness in her remaining years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 04:26 PM

6 posts, read 6,051 times
Just to clarify. North State service is actually widely available outside of its traditional service area (High Point, Thomasville, Archdale, etc) for business services - this includes Oak Ridge, Winston Salem & Greensboro. I realize the OP is likely looking for residential service.
If you're looking for fiber-based business service in any of the previously mentioned areas, call North State at 336 886 3600, and a representative can help you find out if you're in an area where fiber has been built out.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arstal View Post
Curious- is there any way to get North State to install fiber to a home, such as calling yourself a business? How much does that cost? Trying to think of various ways to avoid the Comcrap monopoly that's coming.
You can get North State service at your home-based business - the charges & speeds are charged as business instead of residential.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:29 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,237,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTelcom View Post
Just to clarify. North State service is actually widely available outside of its traditional service area (High Point, Thomasville, Archdale, etc) for business services - this includes Oak Ridge, Winston Salem & Greensboro. I realize the OP is likely looking for residential service.
If you're looking for fiber-based business service in any of the previously mentioned areas, call North State at 336 886 3600, and a representative can help you find out if you're in an area where fiber has been built out.
Well, it would be for residential, however I do some work from home and occasionally need to VPN into my work computer. But I'm sure one would have to show proof of business. And I'm sure it would probably cost more than I'm willing to spend for home internet service.

I just figured moving closer to Greensboro, surely I would have more options for internet service, but that hasn't been the case.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Well, it would be for residential, however I do some work from home and occasionally need to VPN into my work computer. But I'm sure one would have to show proof of business. And I'm sure it would probably cost more than I'm willing to spend for home internet service.

I just figured moving closer to Greensboro, surely I would have more options for internet service, but that hasn't been the case.
I totally understand. I'm not 100% sure what is required when you sign up for business service. It may be worthwhile just to check. One thing I forgot to mention is that, while right now, North State is offering fiber-based business service in certain areas of Greensboro & Winston (in addition to its traditional ILEC service area) further expansion is planned, to include residential service.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/north-...155900645.html

I know searching for the right provider can be terribly frustrating. I wish you luck in your search.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:08 PM

5,756 posts, read 4,237,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTelcom View Post
I totally understand. I'm not 100% sure what is required when you sign up for business service. It may be worthwhile just to check. One thing I forgot to mention is that, while right now, North State is offering fiber-based business service in certain areas of Greensboro & Winston (in addition to its traditional ILEC service area) further expansion is planned, to include residential service.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/north-...155900645.html

I know searching for the right provider can be terribly frustrating. I wish you luck in your search.
Thanks! If they do expand fiber service in my area, I'll definitely check them out!

Old 07-22-2014, 02:19 PM

1,820 posts, read 3,511,186 times
Off of Hobb's Rd area phone reception and internet are not great. My daughter just moved there and is having to buy a booster from Verizon to get cell phone coverage. What is with that area? Anyone live there and gotten good internet speed or cell phone service?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point