U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 01:41 PM

32 posts, read 74,001 times

Advertisements

Hi ,
I have to choose from 2 job offers , one in Winston Salem and one in Mebane. Both pretty much the same.
Which one should i choose ?
We are a family with 2 kids one is 8 and the other is 5 years old, and we are looking for the best schools .
Which areas are recommended to live in ?
Our priority is the area and best school, i don’t mind commuting for 30-35 minutes each way as long as i got my family in a safe area with good schools.
Any recommendation ??? seems Greensborough is in the middle between the two but does have the best public schools ?
Is raliegh better place to live ? north suburbs, west suburbs ??? , can i live in Raliegh and commute to Mebane ?? traffic is it bad ?

you input advice and recommendation is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by mohshaker; 02-21-2013 at 01:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 02:08 PM

2,648 posts, read 6,085,655 times
Caveat--I live in Winston-Salem, so I'm extremely biased.

Seriously, it's a great place to live and raise a family. Lots of things to do both locally and within a relatively short drive. Great schools, big enough but not too big, and lots of activities to get kids involved. Of course, Mebane is a nice small town, if you prefer that lifestyle.

I would strongly suggest avoiding a commute if at all possible. While many people do it (and I've done it myself in years past), being able to spend more time with your family is a priceless luxury.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:23 PM

28,494 posts, read 62,136,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohshaker View Post
I have to choose from 2 job offers , one in Winston Salem and one in Mebane.
Both pretty much the same.
Both pretty much the same salary too?
Mebane (51:162) is generally pricier than Winston (41:141).

Some objective data:
Mebane: Mebane (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Winston: Winston-Salem (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 03-29-2013 at 06:43 AM..

Old 02-21-2013, 02:34 PM

3,867 posts, read 6,657,887 times
Since Mebane straddles the Alamance/Orange counties line, depending on where you live, your children could attend Chapel Hill/Orange County schools which are also good. I see absolutely no need to work in Mebane and live in Raleigh. The commute through RTP or Durham would be awfully tiring. Like arbyunc, having been a commuter in a previous life, I think life is too short to spend much time commuting.

Having said that, I too prefer Winston-Salem. It's a much bigger, but quite livable city. In Mebane, you'd always be going somewhere else to do everything.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:30 PM

10,679 posts, read 11,303,639 times
roadpony, Chapel Hill schools and Orange County schools are different systems. If the OP lived in the Orange County portion of Mebane their kids would go to Orange County schools (which are good). They would need to live in the CHCCS district in Chapel Hill or Carrboro for the kids to go to those schools.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:39 AM

910 posts, read 1,166,600 times
Winston is to paraphrase David Sedaris less a city proper than an endless assemblage of strip malls. Mebane is a rapidly yuppifying bedroom community for RTP perched atop a dead industry town.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
Winston is to paraphrase David Sedaris less a city proper than an endless assemblage of strip malls.

I don't know if Sedaris was referring specifically to Winston-Salem, but if so he's dead wrong. W-S has no more strip malls than any other similar-sized city, and in addition it has a number of unique shopping/dining destinations such as the 6th & Trade Arts District, 4th St., Reynolda Rd. at Hanes Park, Burke St./Brookstown, Reynolda Village, and Old Salem just to name a few.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:25 AM

910 posts, read 1,166,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
I don't know if Sedaris was referring specifically to Winston-Salem, but if so he's dead wrong. W-S has no more strip malls than any other similar-sized city, and in addition it has a number of unique shopping/dining destinations such as the 6th & Trade Arts District, 4th St., Reynolda Rd. at Hanes Park, Burke St./Brookstown, Reynolda Village, and Old Salem just to name a few.
One of his sisters lives (lived?) there. I think it's pretty accurate. Downtown's like five blocks in any direction. It's a charming five blocks, but still.

OP, if schools are your top priority and the pay is good enough I'd take the Mebane position and look into Chapel Hill or Carrboro. It'd be about a 30-45 minute commute depending on which side of town you're on and traffic, but you can take back roads and avoid 40, and their schools are way better than anything in Forsyth or Alamance Counties.

Last edited by J. Pederman; 02-23-2013 at 09:34 AM..

Old 02-23-2013, 10:59 AM

3,867 posts, read 6,657,887 times
Quote:

OP, if schools are your top priority and the pay is good enough I'd take the Mebane position and look into Chapel Hill or Carrboro. ..... and their schools are way better than anything in Forsyth or Alamance Counties.
W-S/Forsyth County has some excellent schools that I'd stack up against any other schools.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
One of his sisters lives (lived?) there. I think it's pretty accurate. Downtown's like five blocks in any direction. It's a charming five blocks, but still.

OP, if schools are your top priority and the pay is good enough I'd take the Mebane position and look into Chapel Hill or Carrboro. It'd be about a 30-45 minute commute depending on which side of town you're on and traffic, but you can take back roads and avoid 40, and their schools are way better than anything in Forsyth or Alamance Counties.

Okay, so based on what some guy says because his sister may (or maybe used to) live in W-S, you've convinced yourself that it's nothing but strip malls, and the downtown is only 5 blocks? Are you suggesting that Mebane's downtown is bigger or better?

And roadpony is absolutely right about the schools. W-S/Forsyth has a number of schools that rank among the top in the state. You really shouldn't give advice about things you apparently know little about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point