U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 08:56 PM

4,580 posts, read 4,399,941 times

Advertisements

With Winston-Salem making renovations to its convention center and the Koury Convention Center in Greensboro, it could get a little crowded in regards to hosting conventions in the Triad. Any convention center built in High Point would likely include a hotel and it certainly would be used well during the furniture market. High Point is going to have to determine how big it would be.

Study to look at feasibility of a convention center in High Point - Greensboro - The Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 10:03 AM

12,577 posts, read 13,305,804 times
High Point needs more than a convention center to put a pulse in it's dead core, it needs to change the way they think what their image really is. The last thing is needed is another hotel, the few that are near the city's core nearly starve to death 48 weeks out of the year.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:11 AM

4,580 posts, read 4,399,941 times
I honestly don't believe a huge convention center would survive. They can't miss the mark and they have to build the right size convention center. It can't be too big and it cant be to small. But first they need to figure out what kind of conventions they want to attract to the city. It would be in direct competition with two other convention centers in the area, both of which have more hotels and attractions in the area. How can you compete with the Koury Convention Center in Greensboro which is attached to a 1,000 plus room hotel? Not to mention there are a number of other hotels, a mall and restaurants near the convention center. I don't think a convention center is the best way to revitalize downtown High Point. Before High Point gets a convention center it needs to have downtown restaurants, retail and attractions nearby.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:30 AM

12,577 posts, read 13,305,804 times
Agreed.
The failure of Oak Hollow Mall is a black eye for the city, indicating it is not nearly ready enough to go big time with anything, IMO. Because they have the furniture market I feel leaders are delusional about what the city's actual role is in the traid. The old money rules the downtown area, the city grows in spite of that, but if you examine the growth it is very segregated. High Point's downtown revitialization was extinguished nearly as fast as it was lit replaced by "uptown" revitalization.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:15 AM

97 posts, read 253,974 times
I'm not sure we need a convention center at this point. In fact, I believe the city would lose money on such a project even if it were completed on time and within budget. But High Point is undergoing a major revitalization project which has been going on for a couple of years now. Most of the initial phase didn't involve high profile moves and didn't attract much attention but they did lay the groundwork for what's happening now. First, property was purchased by the city or was donated and was zoned according to the new plan for the south end. Now, brand new 3 and 4 bedroom houses are being built. Also, there is talk of High Point University buying the Daniel Brooks property and rebuilding housing for HPU students. I've never been able to confirm that so I don't know if this is in the works or not. It would be great it if was.

I'm not sure if High Point will ever need a major convention center considering the fact that we're located between Greensboro and Winston but the look and feel of High Point is definitely changing for the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point