Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2013, 10:08 AM
zer zer started this thread

1 posts, read 2,384 times

Advertisements

Hey guys I'll be moving to Winston Salem soon to start residency at WFUBMC. I'm interested in spending around 150, up to 175. I will be commuting to Salisbury a bit too so my thinking is somewhere west or south would make the most sense.

I am not familiar with Winston Salem at all. I am looking for a safe quiet place to live. Any part of the city to avoid like the North? Or East? Any neighborhoods to avoid? Where does most of the crime occur?

Any particular area I should start looking?

Thank you for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 07:33 AM

60 posts, read 130,704 times
Ardmore is walking distance to WFUBMC and is a nice older neighborhood (we just bought a house there). Easily accessible to downtown and shopping. I believe a lot of residents buy in the neighborhood.

You can find cottages in your price range: 27103 Real Estate - Winston Salem, NC 27103 Homes for Sale - REALTOR.com®

Note that search is a rough approximation by zip code and age of home...

Some additional information on the neighborhood: Ardmore Neighborhood Association

Old 03-18-2013, 07:54 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,498,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zer View Post
Hey guys I'll be moving to Winston Salem soon to start residency at WFUBMC.
Any particular area I should start looking?
How about the area immediately (walk/bicycle distance) near the hospital: LINK
Once you cross the line to daily driving you can go pretty far afield...

Quote:
I'm interested in spending around 150, up to 175.
That is rather low for RENT. Expect at least $800+ or to share. LINK
If the plan is to buy... postpone that until AFTER residency (really).

Old 03-18-2013, 08:12 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,323,433 times
Ardmore is your best bet for residency. It's full of residents (as well as permanent WFUBMC and Forsyth staff). Buena Vista and West End are convenient to WFUBMC, too, but are generally out of your price range.

On one hand, I'd say that renting before you buy is smart, but there are some great little houses well within your price range for sale in Ardmore as we speak. And as far as the commuting part goes, it really would depend how often you're commuting. A place near Baptist would mean 45 min to Salisbury instead of the 35 min it would take from someplace slightly south of town, but if you're spending an extra 10-15 min a day getting to the hospital, I don't know that it's really worth it.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:39 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,481,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
How about the area immediately (walk/bicycle distance) near the hospital: LINK
If the plan is to buy... postpone that until AFTER residency (really).
I think the OP meant $150,000 - 175,000 for buying a house.

To the OP,

I agree with the other posters, Ardmore is always a popular choice for the hospital folk. Also, just about anywhere west and south will be okay. There is a lot of new/recent construction in your price range off Peters Creek Parkway, south of Silas Creek Parkway, going toward Davidson County. It will also make the occasional commute to Salisbury easier.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:16 PM

69 posts, read 134,955 times
WS is pretty easy to gauge - if you see all the houses on the street are in good shape and the yards are tidy it is probably alright. Just drive around the block to make sure. Run down houses - more than three cars in driveway [or on lawn] avoid that area. WS neighborhoods are pretty distinct. If you want a funkier wildcard check out washington park - my old neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point