Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2013, 05:22 PM

6 posts, read 17,707 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to the Triad area within a month. We can live anywhere since my husband travels for his job. Our top priorities are excellent schools (we have 1 middle schooler & will have 2 elementary aged children), a VERY friendly family oriented neighborhood with swim/tennis amenities if possible, in a very safe area. We would like to stay under 275,000 and do want to have a decent sized yard (doesn't have to be acreage but would like 1/4 acre). We are fine with suburbs but don't want to be way in the country without easy access to stores, restaurants, library, etc.

Would also love recommendations for realtors that have lived in the area for a long time.

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 01:45 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,629,025 times
My first choice would be Oak Ridge in Guilford County. I don't know prices these days...$275k should be doable. Excellent schools.

My second choice would be where we live, in the Meadowlands subdivision near Wallburg. It's in northeast Davidson County. I'd call the schools "good" to "very good," that's why I'd list Oak Ridge above our subdivision. I prefer the location of Wallburg than Oak Ridge. I like being 15-25 minutes from Winston-Salem, Greensboro, or High Point (and Thomasville and Lexington, but those areas have fewer shopping and services). The only drawback IMO is that it's 15 minutes to just about anything other than basic services (we do have a Food Lion, a few other shops and restaurants right in Wallburg, which is 5 minutes from Meadowlands). Prices for single family homes are from the upper $200s all the way up to the $500k range, with most in the $300s, so the low end of the subdivision would be the high end of your budget. Lots are generally 1/3 to 1/2 acre (ours is 0.40 acre). We love the subdivision; we moved here in 2011. Quite a few people are from other parts of the country, if that's important (could be a positive or a negative, depending on what you're looking for).

Old 03-24-2013, 04:25 PM

6 posts, read 17,707 times
Thank you for the suggestions. I looked up both Oak Ridge and Meadowlands and the homes that are for sale are out of our price range.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:50 PM

4 posts, read 15,195 times
Oak Ridge elementary is a terrific school, we love it there. I am not aware of a swim/tennis neighborhood in Oak Ridge at any price point and certainly not $275K. The Oak Ridge Swim Club is across the street from the school however for about $500/year (outdoor pool only) with another $1K upfront one time fees. There are likely some neighborhoods in your price range that are in the Oak Ridge school district outside of the town of Oak Ridge however. I seem to recall one with a pool as well but the name escapes me right now. If I think of it I will edit this message. Meadowlands is a very nice area as well and one we have begun to consider as Oak Ridge continues to be crazy expensive.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:47 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,629,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaf View Post
Thank you for the suggestions. I looked up both Oak Ridge and Meadowlands and the homes that are for sale are out of our price range.
There are a couple of homes in Meadowlands that are going into foreclosure; they'll probably sell for under $300k, perhaps well under. There are a couple of non-foreclosures on the market: one at $265k, though it's a bit small at 1,780 sq ft, and another at $240k, 2,098 sq ft, but it's on a smaller, patio home lot.

Near Oak Ridge, we looked very closely at Harvest Ridge - the Guilford County side of the subdivision goes to Oak Ridge schools (the Forsyth County side goes to Forsyth schools; we didn't consider any homes on the Forsyth side). But prices are probably out of your range - the only one I see is asking $325k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point